Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 17:03

We've been coming to PP for 26 years, almost every year and sometimes twice a year.

We've always rented properties, as that is more flexible and preferable to us than hotel accommodation.

I would guess that most of our rentals have been "illegal". If we could not rent, then we would not come to PP; and its restaurants & bars would loose a lot of money from us.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-02-2017, 17:36

We are not saying stop rentals the port needs a balance of all accommodation.
But if you purchased in a residential block you should not have to put up with late night parties and noise so it helps the owner to pay the mortgage.
The government need to set the rules and make it work, but I think that's the problem the government is at best useless.
Old 24-02-2017, 17:42
Super Moderator

As lollipop said there are changes on the horizon .
lollipop likes this.
Old 24-02-2017, 17:58

I understand that if you have bought an apartment in a block that clearly states you can't rent out and people do it must be very frustrating, to be honest I don't think we have ever stayed in such a place, we tend be be close to the beach and in places it would be difficult to live in full time anyway. The place we use now has rules displayed for both residents and 'guest' so clearly they expect renters, it's great as half are Spanish residents who are always very friendly and as someone said it does feel as it is ours, at least for the time we are there.
It would be great if they do sort it out, but as I say they are reluctant to upset the powerful hoteliers!

On island time!!
Old 24-02-2017, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel View Post
We are not saying stop rentals the port needs a balance of all accommodation.
But if you purchased in a residential block you should not have to put up with late night parties and noise so it helps the owner to pay the mortgage.
The government need to set the rules and make it work, but I think that's the problem the government is at best useless.
Spanish residents with mortgages have late parties too !! The permanent Spanish residents who live above us are young adults and they have friends round for drinks etc make noise coming in and why should nt they , they re having fun ? It's not just guests whether renters or family who can make noise , it happens once in a blue moon so why get upset about it .
debz1, animagic21, Lorenzo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by pansy potter; 24-02-2017 at 19:26.
Old 24-02-2017, 19:43

Our block is residential 50/50 Spanish British we all have dinner parties and friends round for drinks, and can get spirited, that is different too people who have rental apartments in there block with different holiday makers each week through the summer period, I expect the majority are considerate but I would be hacked off if you had a run of noisy holiday makers keeping me or my grandchildren awake at night.
I respect they are on holiday but some leave there consideration at the airport on there way out.
Old 24-02-2017, 19:56

Quote:
Our block is residential 50/50 Spanish British we all have dinner parties and friends round for drinks, and can get spirited, that is different too people who have rental apartments in there block with different holiday makers each week through the summer period, I expect the majority are considerate but I would be hacked off if you had a run of noisy holiday makers keeping me or my grandchildren awake at night.
I respect they are on holiday but some leave there consideration at the airport on there way out.
I understand what you mean but how can you tell the difference between renters noise and friends and family noise who maybe staying in the block as guests of the owner ? Our neighbours next door have different friends and family staying for 12 weeks or so over the summer , it's great to see the place occupied and full of life .I'm sure renters know how to behave just as much as friends and family do

Last edited by pansy potter; 24-02-2017 at 20:30.
Old 24-02-2017, 20:44

As I said the majority are considerate, it's the few that can be a problem.
It looks like I will not win you over on this one I can only assume you have been a renting owner or still renting or in the rental business.
lollipop likes this.
Old 24-02-2017, 21:00
Super Moderator

I think it's now time to agree to disagree, you have all made your point, thanks.
Old 24-02-2017, 21:02

Quote:
As I said the majority are considerate, it's the few that can be a problem.
It looks like I will not win you over on this one I can only assume you have been a renting owner or still renting or in the rental business.
Yes we ll agree to disagree , I'm an owner , don't rent but my motto is live and let live
debz1, animagic21, Lorenzo and 3 others like this.
Old 24-02-2017, 22:19

What happens if you rent out your apartment illegally
and someone is injured or dies ?
Does the insurer pay out?
Do you have public liability insurance ?

Will they ever check whether there was adequate safety measures fire extinguisher s smoke detectors /carbon monoxide detectors
Electrical appliance testing
And the gas boiler all checked out also
You have all the paperwork etc for this
It may cost you more than your mortgage repayments
Who would you turn to
The estate agent who told you it had great rental potential
The solicitor?
Just a thought.

Last edited by Dilly17; 25-02-2017 at 07:44. Reason: My
Old 25-02-2017, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
A high percentage of Spanish owners in a Spanish town? Disgraceful!!! LOL

Benidorm here I come........
There are many blocks especially nearer the front which are not Spanish owned. As for renting to pay the mortgage that is a personal choice with the pros and cons probably taken into account. I don't think it is for anyone to comment on why someone should or shouldn't buy. Things can come and go in life which have different effects and can cause financial difficulties. It is not our business. IMO
I am a believer in live and let live. This is a holiday destination that would close if holiday people didn't come. I think therefore it is obvious that apartments will be rented. As for people enjoying themselves and making a bit of a noise. I suggest a property in the country may be more suited as long as the cows didn't moo to loudly!
Old 25-02-2017, 10:39

No arguements just interested in the post about insurance and checking of appliances etc ?

If you rent legally are the properties checked for gas electric safety ??

We rented one a couple of years ago as a trial as we had rented the same one for years and it had been sold and I would say everything looked ""dodgy "" It was a once off Sink flooded the floor everytime we ran water and it became obvious on investigation it had a temporary fix on it!! Lots of broken appliances Outside staircase was a bit of a hazard especially when it rained The bath you climbed in one end then had to walk to the other to turn the taps on !!

Looked very good in the advert though !
Old 25-02-2017, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly17 View Post
What happens if you rent out your apartment illegally
and someone is injured or dies ?
Does the insurer pay out?
Do you have public liability insurance ?

Will they ever check whether there was adequate safety measures fire extinguisher s smoke detectors /carbon monoxide detectors
Electrical appliance testing
And the gas boiler all checked out also
You have all the paperwork etc for this
It may cost you more than your mortgage repayments
Who would you turn to
The estate agent who told you it had great rental potential
The solicitor?
Just a thought.
Dilly that has nothing to do with renting. I have liability insurance for my friends and family who stay regularly in the summer plus all the other items you mention as I am a responsible owner.
Lorenzo and pansy potter like this.
Old 25-02-2017, 12:14

Hi Dilly
Your best advice would be from a solicitor not the forum on such a subject as everybody has a duty of care renting to family or friends or friends of friends,, just having public liability insurance won't protect you if you have unchecked or faulty appliances that cause injury to someone.