Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree445Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 12:34

Have cancelled all my guests (friends) for next year and booked myself 2 weeks in Croatia, will put my apartment up for sale. At least the falling pound would make it less painful in accepting a low offer.

Not prepared to be treated like a criminal any longer by political ankle biters.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2017, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
Have cancelled all my guests (friends) for next year and booked myself 2 weeks in Croatia, will put my apartment up for sale. At least the falling pound would make it less painful in accepting a low offer.

Not prepared to be treated like a criminal any longer by political ankle biters.
So sorry to hear that Papillon.
I wonder if it might be worth waiting a while to see if there is any fine-tuning to this recent law. Maybe some sense will prevail in due course....
Old 12-08-2017, 16:06

Just checked out various booking sites for hotels, we go for 3 weeks and would need a mortgage to go to any of them. Even 2 weeks is very expensive especially as flights and eating out still has to be considered. A villa is totally out as there are only 2 of us. I really think a lot of regulars and people just considering PP for their annual holiday will be totally put off by the cost and go elsewhere for a change. I really feel I can't take the risk of the apartment even though they're all holiday rentals so no one to complain.
joey36 and Tommo like this.
Old 12-08-2017, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pips View Post
Just checked out various booking sites for hotels, we go for 3 weeks and would need a mortgage to go to any of them. Even 2 weeks is very expensive especially as flights and eating out still has to be considered. A villa is totally out as there are only 2 of us. I really think a lot of regulars and people just considering PP for their annual holiday will be totally put off by the cost and go elsewhere for a change. I really feel I can't take the risk of the apartment even though they're all holiday rentals so no one to complain.
Pips - there are just 2 of us as well and we always rent a villa in summer - there are lots of 2/3 bedroom ones to choose from (don't have to use all the bedrooms!) and maybe not much more expensive than an apartment. Villas are nice in summer when there are long warm evenings! October is our apartment time - but looks like we will have to look elsewhere in future or maybe go further afield.
Jimbo the Jambo, Tommo and pips like this.
Old 12-08-2017, 20:42

Isn't it such a shame that so many PP regulars are reacting to the rental licence debacle, and rising prices, by planning to go elsewhere. I suspect that the "authorities " will come to deeply regret the position they've taken. There will be lots of apartments for seasonal workers to rent long term......and no work for them to do with so few properties for tourists to rent. Political dogma overrides common sense. Sounds familiar?
PP76, debz1, Mark and 12 others like this.
Old 13-08-2017, 10:44
Super Moderator

I think it is still possible that licenses will be issued eventually in the Pollensa area. Read this report https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...on-places.html
Tommo, pips and Gp1602 like this.
Old 13-08-2017, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I think it is still possible that licenses will be issued eventually in the Pollensa area. Read this report https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...on-places.html
I read somewhere else (MDB I think) that Pollensa council has no intension to issue any new licences. I also think that the number of available places (i.e. the mumber that could be licenced across the island) must be far more than the 47000 that they state.
Old 13-08-2017, 12:54
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
I read somewhere else (MDB I think) that Pollensa council has no intension to issue any new licences. I also think that the number of available places (i.e. the mumber that could be licenced across the island) must be far more than the 47000 that they state.
They cannot issue any new licenses for a year, until the local councils have done their zoning, then some licenses can be issued as long as properties meet the criteria. I do feel this area is special in that it has few hotels and hope common sense prevails when they realise the damage this law will do to the local economy. Regulation is needed but so is tourism, surely a balance can be achieved .
favie, joey36, Tommo and 5 others like this.
Old 13-08-2017, 15:07

Hi All
Even when and if the zoning of the areas are completed in 12 months the owners will then have to apply for licenses then have the apartment inspections done, then the issuing of the licenses 47,000 in Majorca ? that will be by the end of the 2018 season at the earliest so two years minimum of this nonsense would have caused so much damage due to loss of trade to the independent shops, restaurants,and loss of work for all in the tourist industry, this will have a terrible affect on the port due to the high numbers of apartments rented out in the area with few hotels.
favie, Mark, joey36 and 5 others like this.
Old 13-08-2017, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I do feel this area is special in that it has few hotels and hope common sense prevails when they realise the damage this law will do to the local economy. Regulation is needed but so is tourism, surely a balance can be achieved .
I can't imagine what 2018 will be like in PP (and of course everywhere on the Balearics) just thinking of all the very many private rentals on the Pinewalk and Bellresguard alone .....hundreds of others. I don't know how businesses etc will survive.....I could weep at the very thought!
PP76, debz1, joey36 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by favie; 13-08-2017 at 21:08. Reason: Spelling....before Disorderly corrects me, only kidding! Ha-ha
Old 13-08-2017, 17:32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by favie View Post
I can't imagine what 2018 will be like in PP (and of coarse everywhere on the Balearics) just thinking of all the very many private rentals on the Pinewalk and Bellresguard alone .....hundreds of others. I don't know how businesses etc will survive.....I could weep at the very thought!
Me too Favie........very worrying times for everyone whether they live, work or holiday in the Balearics but especially in our beloved PP .
favie, PP76, debz1 and 7 others like this.
Old 13-08-2017, 22:02

My local statistician (council employee) assures me that there are just short of four thousand lets in in PP alone, I am also reliably informed informed that it will not affect our Spanish compatriots as there are so many loopholes which will make it impossible to enforce.
Watch this space
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 14-08-2017, 07:31

Andrews blog today pretty well sums up the present situation.

alcudiapollensa

Out of interest cumberland8 three of the 6 apartments in my block 3 are Spanish owners who rent out their properties and they have never been concerned about the impending legislation, one thing is for sure is that if and when new licences are issued they certainly will not be at the back of the queue.

The sad thing is that after reading some of the comments on here and Facebook there is vindictive minority who already have the "informants" email address in their smart phone contacts list.

I really hope that this doesn't turn into an us and them confrontation between Spanish and British, renters and non renters but sadly all the signs are appearing on a daily basis.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:39

We've been coming for some time , but as there are 5 of us a villa has always been an option, However we booked to come out Over New Year as the kids are a little older. At that time of year we dont need a pool and wanted to be on the sea front, so we booked an apartment through Booking.com. Been following this story on here an in the press, so decided to contact Booking.com and the owner. Not had a response from Booking.com, but had a very quick reply from the owner as below :

...because of the new law i'll have to remove the ad for 1 year but i'll keep all the reservations made until now. There will be no new reservations but no one confirmed will be cancelled.

Was going to cancel and book a Villa but decided to stick with it

Im sure when they all eventually remove their heads from wherever they are stuck!!! it will all calm down. But the worry is the damage it will do in the short term to local business, property prices and Villa rental prices next year.
sws97sdg likes this.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:48

Default 'Tourist' Apartment Licenses

Am just back from yet another great 2 week stay in PP. It was the first time we have used a private apartment (Bellresguard) having previously always been in the Playa Mar.
It was great to have the extra space and home comforts and have already put down a deposit for next year....however, the more I read about the potential limitations on the use of private apartments for short term leases next year the more I fear I wont be back. Given the volume of tourism income these will provide it does from afar seem a little arduous, but would welcome any feedback people have on the practicalities of it all (our owner says she is currently investigating).