Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Diver Val
  • 4 Post By alcanadakid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 15:27

Question Swimming pool cleaning and maintenance queries

This is my first occasion of owning a swimming pool and I really need some guidance.

Our pool (non-heated) is currently filled with water with the skimming/filter switched off. The water is green, and on this occasion, will be drained and the pool will undergo minor maintenance, and will then be refilled.

I will be using my villa as a holiday home, visiting at approx. 6 week intervals, and I guess will therefore need to find someone to maintain the pool, such as chemicals and skimming, in my absence, to make the pool usable when I visit during the Summer months.

Can you make any recommendations of pool cleaners? (I'm in Cala San Vicente).
What would I expect to pay?
How would you recommend to manage the pool when not in use during Winter?
What is the most cost effective?
Switch off skimmer/filter (saving electricity) allowing water to green? Do you then follow this by applying chemicals to restore for Summer or do you empty and refill (costly water bill)?
Keep skimmer/filter on for a few hours a day/week during the Winter?

I may also invest in a pool cover for the Winter to reduce the costs and efforts.

I really welcome your advise. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 22-01-2016, 18:03

I know of someone called Jorge on 971 546 668

I do NOT have a personal experience of his services, NOR do I know him.

Molt
Old 23-01-2016, 08:37

Thumbs up Swimming pool maintenance

Hi, when we had our pool, we used an English guy called Chares from Lotus pool maintenance, he does a really good job, and although not the cheapest will give you peace of mind. He will check and advise you on all aspects of pool maintenance throughout the year. You can find him in the Mallorca daily bulletin. Lotus Pool Services.

Val
lollipop likes this.
Old 23-01-2016, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sal View Post
This is my first occasion of owning a swimming pool and I really need some guidance.

Our pool (non-heated) is currently filled with water with the skimming/filter switched off. The water is green, and on this occasion, will be drained and the pool will undergo minor maintenance, and will then be refilled.

I will be using my villa as a holiday home, visiting at approx. 6 week intervals, and I guess will therefore need to find someone to maintain the pool, such as chemicals and skimming, in my absence, to make the pool usable when I visit during the Summer months.

Can you make any recommendations of pool cleaners? (I'm in Cala San Vicente).
What would I expect to pay?
How would you recommend to manage the pool when not in use during Winter?
What is the most cost effective?
Switch off skimmer/filter (saving electricity) allowing water to green? Do you then follow this by applying chemicals to restore for Summer or do you empty and refill (costly water bill)?
Keep skimmer/filter on for a few hours a day/week during the Winter?

I may also invest in a pool cover for the Winter to reduce the costs and efforts.

I really welcome your advise. Thank you.
I am sure you will have plenty of suggestions for who to use to clean the poll. If not then send me a PM and I will tell you who we use and their cost.

The chemistry of the pool needs to be checked weekly and almost daily in the hot months. There are two things to check - the level of chlorine and the PH.
Chlorine kills bugs and keeps the water healthy, but it increase the PH (alkaline level). This cause deposits to form on the inside surfaces of the pool which are hard to remove. and therefore you add granules called "PH minus" to get the PH back down.
A simple test kit is sold at anywhere that sells pool stuff. Cost about €10. The sun burns off the chlorine and if the level is too low the water goes green. You should never let this happen. The solution to green water is to put large quantities of chlorine in to shock the system. You mustn't use the pool with this amount of chlorine as it is hazardous to health.

In addition the the chlorine PH/issue is dust or debris which collects in the water and which the filter removes. We often have problems after a rainstorm as rain droplets can contain very small dust particles. The pump circulates the water through the filter. Ideally this should be on all the time, but most people balance the cost against keeping the pool clean. We have ours on from 0800 until 1800 everyday - summer and winter.

We have friends in S of France who use a pool cover in the winter and add chemicals to "overwinter" the pool and turn their pump off. We have an odd shaped pool which doesn't allow for a pool cover so we have never tried that, but it is worth a thought.

If you drain the pool remember that the walls will have an unequal pressure when it is empty and there is a possibility that they may crack if the pool is empty for a while. It is not worth the risk.

We did have a leak in our pool that we couldn't find and ended up resealing it and retiling it at a cost of €10K.

You will find that all pools are different. Ours tends to use a lot of PH Minus. Don't ask me why. I allow €35 for pool chemicals per month and that seems about right for us with a 50m3 pool

I hope that helps you understand pools a bit better. I am sure that there other members with other experience and advice.
Old 24-01-2016, 13:14

Alcanadakid - did you know that you can get pool covers to fit odd shaped pools - they attach to small metal skewer-like posts that fit in the ground around the pool thus covering the area above the pool - my parents pool in the UK had one.
Old 24-01-2016, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Alcanadakid - did you know that you can get pool covers to fit odd shaped pools - they attach to small metal skewer-like posts that fit in the ground around the pool thus covering the area above the pool - my parents pool in the UK had one.
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out
Old 24-01-2016, 14:52

Thank you very much for your information and suggestions. Alcanadakid - I'll take you up on your PM offer, thank you. I'll be in touch. I'll also contact Lotus, thanks Diver Val ;0)