Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 21:08

Default Public Threat

Our apartment overlooks the tree lined area just up from the Pine walk behind Coral Bar. A number of winos / druggies are accumulating from dawn to dusk every day. They are noisy,offensive, we as local residents want the council/police to be rid of them. Does anyone else have similar concerns? They have been moved on by the police in the past but within a day or so manage to come back and set up their chairs etc. again. Any views would be appreciated?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2015, 12:06

I can't comment specifically as I have never experienced this in PP - however, we did have a similar problem at home. It was really intimidating and unpleasant. It took a few months of constant calls to the police and local council (the local PSCO was really helpful - not sure if they have an equivalent in Mallorca?), but eventually they did introduce constant patrols of the area, also removing and pouring away any alcohol as in my town it's forbidden to drink in public parks. If a group of local residents could get together it would help, I guess - you just have to be prepared to make a nuisance of yourself for a while - which isn't easy I know overseas with the language differences.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:54
Super Moderator

I agree with Kate all you can do is call the police every time they are there and also keep badgering the council.
Old 07-01-2015, 19:36

In the UK it would be a classic case of the council seeking an ASBO, but I am not sure whether they have them in Spain
Old 07-01-2015, 21:55

I think I read about this specific spot on this site maybe 2/3 years ago.This is a shame as property prices/selling could be affected. We looked at a great apartment looking on to this land in 2013 and did not go ahead as we saw what looked like squatters in the unfinished villa at the end of the road, also covered in graffiti. I think the police and council need to act. I hope this is sorted soon.
debz1 and Belladonna like this.
Old 11-01-2015, 00:18

I have an apartment on the corner opposite the park area and also the empty unfinished villa. These people have lived in the villa and the park area for well over 2 years now and were evicted from the house many times by the police and the owner and it has now been made secure so they cant go back. Quite apart from the noise and mess they make they were for 6 months stealing drinking water from our supply where it enters the property by filling 5 litre plastic bottles , charging their mobile phones by reaching inside a locked gate to an outside power point and also using peoples wi fi from the apartments as they had managed to get the codes. They have an air rifle they use for shooting birds which the police took off them and then gave it back again and I wont even start to talk about their friends who arrive in cars every day for some type of business transaction to be carried out and we can all guess what that might be. I was until recently president of our community and I had our administrator talk to the council and the police and it was like banging your head on a brick wall to try and get them to do anything apart from the occasional police visit.
The Senor.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyone View Post
I think I read about this specific spot on this site maybe 2/3 years ago.This is a shame as property prices/selling could be affected. We looked at a great apartment looking on to this land in 2013 and did not go ahead as we saw what looked like squatters in the unfinished villa at the end of the road, also covered in graffiti. I think the police and council need to act. I hope this is sorted soon.

We also nearly bought a gorgeous apartment in that area a couple of years ago, but we were told by someone who lived nearby about the dodgy goings on. This must be sorted as it is potentially a time bomb in the Port. We all know that kids will 'dabble' in soft drugs but I think in parts of Mallorca it is becoming a problem as young teenagers get bored (especially in the winter months) and have nothing better to do. I have an English friend,married to a Mallorquin, who sent her teenage son back to the Uk to live with his grandparents because she was so worried about the problem. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with drugs in the UK, but I think there is more policing here.
Nick and ragdollabbi like this.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:53

Same thing here. We were looking at a ground floor apartment with a gorgeous tree in the garden, but the cons of the area's problems certainly outweighed the pros at that time too. Such a shame.
Old 11-01-2015, 15:10
Banned

I have stated several times recently that PP is becoming blighted by an obvious small group, I'd imagine, of trouble-makers.

It is high time that the lazy, in my opinion, police and local authorities do something about it. It is quite simple to deal with and must he actioned very quickly before another holiday season starts with this lot taking over.

Believe me, tourists will stop coming if these signs of anti-social behaviour continue in their forms of public drug-taking, criminal damage, graffiti and allowing dogs to mess absolutely everywhere. Earlier this month we went to Burger King in PP as we fancied a bit of fast food. Sat at the tables in front were two women openly smoking cannabis. The smell was overpowering. It is ridiculous, young kids including my own, were inside. You cannot tell me that the police know nothing about this.

I've emailed the ajuntament several times but they never bother to reply. We've also had problems with youths near our apartments. It's time something was done and quickly. I wonder if any local officials read this website?
debz1, kate1, pansy potter and 3 others like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:59

we were on the cusp of buying a property near this area, but were warned off by neighbors because of the problems mentioned above.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:54

The law regarding cannabis is different in Spain (including Mallorca) and people are allowed to smoke it. It would be pointless reporting this to the Police as it's not illegal. Apparently it is against the law to deal in it though.
Several European countries have a different and more lenient view on cannabis. I'm not suggesting that this is a good idea - just pointing out that the law in Spain is different.
debz1, sws97sdg and animagic21 like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:57

I think I read about this specific spot on this site maybe 2/3 years ago. - posted by Luckyone.

I also noticed the problems - in a relatively small sort of way at that time - mainly a small
group of unkempt drinkers who seemed to gather amongst/adjacent to said copse of trees.
Things have obviously been allowed to escalate, despite the efforts of Senor Cigar (see above) and his community group.
The sooner things are stamped on by the authorities the better - it has been escalating for a long time. Not good in such an otherwise very decent part of PP.
pansy potter and Nick like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 13:12
Super Moderator

I doubt very much that the local police and council read this forum so as i have already said i think the community that is affected by this anti-social behaviour should get together and keep reporting the problem either by phone calls or emails. Maybe you could descend en mass at the ajuntament offices and also the police station which is next door and it might help if you have photos/videos of the offenders.
Lorenzo, lollipop, kate1 and 2 others like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 17:12

I posted on their facebook page and got a reply, so that might be worth a try too.
Sparky, Nick and scouse mark like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 17:53
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
I posted on their facebook page and got a reply, so that might be worth a try too.
Lollipop, was that the ajuntament or the police and did you post in English or Spanish/Catalan?.