Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 18:38

Default moving to majorca with teenagers!

hi

we are planning to move over with 4 children. the two younger ones age 6 and 8 are not the problem. we have two older children 14 and 15 who really don't want to come to Majorca.

the problem is, is that we don't want to miss this opportunity and are worried it will be gone if we hang around here for too much longer.

my head is ready but my heart is worried about the teenagers

has anyone else been in this situation/ would love to hear your advice
Sponsored Links
Old 20-01-2014, 21:52

Gosh what a hard decision for you. I'm not sure how long you and your family been visiting Mallorca or whether you speak Spanish/Mallorquin. I would imagine for teenagers, if they didn't speak the language,it would be very difficult for them to integrate and they may feel very lonely. The younger children would find it much easier.

Is it Puerto Pollensa you would be moving to? It really is like a ghost town in the winter and the nearest cinema would be Festival Park about half an hour away. My now grown up children love PP and have many Mallorquin friends who they love meeting up with, but I'm not sure they would have wanted to uproot and move to PP.

Really sorry if this sounds negative
Old 21-01-2014, 09:05

I can only echo what debz1 says and find her comments realistic , I know of one company who has stopped sending their employees (with children over 11 yrs old ) abroad on assignments partly for the costs incurred but also due to the increased early return requests ,that have been so greatly influenced by older children not settling and it causing disruption to their long term futures and the employees work focus .......
pinewalkstroll and shelleps like this.
Old 21-01-2014, 09:55

What a dilemma!

We moved here with 2 children in January 2008 and both had just turned 10 & 13. They immediately commenced the term from January till June when the schools break up for the summer with one at the local junior school and one at the local senior school.

Before we made the big move, (and it is!) we took Spanish lessons to help ease them into the grove of life here and that in turn, gave them a bit more confidence. However, within the class's the lessons are taught in Catalan which is another tough task for them to get over and learn - but after much hard work, they did it and we are very proud of them as they have turned out to be two wonderfully balanced teenagers and we know that living here was a big factor in this....Plus some input, support and encouragement from mom & dad!

The 6 & 8 year old's would be fine but yes, the older 14 & 15 year old's would indeed find it very tough and please be advised that if a child can't pass exams here, they are held back for another year so should they fail, they could be at school for longer and that is a serious matter for you as parents to take into consideration?

A solution may be to send the younger children to the local junior and for the teenagers to continue their English lessons at an British International school which in turn, would finally enable them take the same qualifications they would hope to attain in the UK.....However, I think the only international schools that do this are based in Palma? (perhaps someone else could confirm this) and they charge a lot of money plus of course this would also entail a lot of commuting which would end up a bit of a drag for you and them? And of course if you did decide to do this, then that would not help them to integrate with the local teenagers

Not in the slightest am I trying to put you off because I am firm believer in walking through doors of opportunity once they open up for you in life, however, I personally think if you make such a massive move like this then you need to move as a family with every member 100% committed otherwise you have weak links within the chain and that eventually could result in unhappiness with the children and in turn that will affect mom & dad?

Lots for you to ponder over and I sincerely hope what ever decision you finally make, it all works out for you all!

Best Wishes,

D.
pollensa, debz1, Sparky and 8 others like this.

Last edited by pinewalkstroll; 21-01-2014 at 10:24.
Old 21-01-2014, 11:00
Super Moderator

Thank you Pinewalkstroll, i was hoping you would reply as you have first hand knowledge of moving with children.
I agree with you completely that all members of the family need to be happy to make this life changing move to make it work and lets be honest, teenagers can be moody enough without being forced to move away from their friends. Also as Debz said, there really is nothing much in winter for them to do especially in the evenings and if they cannot communicate with their peers they would feel very isolated.

Shelleps you do have a massive decision to make, i hope you make the right choice and wish you and your family well.
Old 21-01-2014, 11:21

thank you all for your replies.

it is a very difficult decision and it really is getting me down. my husband thinks we should go for it, but I have my doubts .........................

the only other option I can see is to leave the older 2 with their granddad here in the town we live, but then that's tearing the family apart.

decisions decisions

will keep you informed
lollipop likes this.
Old 21-01-2014, 20:16

Hi Shelleps
I noticed that you were looking for a large house with land. I think this will restrict the movement of the youngsters even more. The positive thing about Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa is that the youngsters can go out alone and have a great night and you can be fairly sure they are safe (with your guidance of course). If you have to drive them backwards and forwards it will restrict their movements and enjoyment of the area too.
Also, I would not consider sending them to the International School as they will fail to make too may friends in the area they are living.... the spanish are very friendly and outgoing and dependant on their personalities they will make plenty of friends quickly - remember there are many teenagers over here with British Mums or Dads so the language will not be such a problem. Good luck but yes, do take great care with your decision. If you are only renting, at the end of the day if it does not work out, Britian is always going to be there to return to so dont break all your ties with property and friends..... Keep us informed. Why not start a blog??
pollensa, Sparky, lollipop and 4 others like this.
Old 22-01-2014, 10:54

yes very true jmd40, I didn't consider that moving too far out will make things worse. is alcudia as safe as pollensa, with regard to kids being out in the evening playing etc??

I have a serious headache! lol
Old 22-01-2014, 11:26

I bet your head hurts lol. But I am sure you will make the correct decision sometimes you just have to do what feels right at the time and if it doesn't work keep your options open and go back at least you gave it a go and wont spend forever wondering what if, just keep an open mind
Alcudia is a much bigger place often people do not realise how large it is so you would have to do allot of homework deciding on which area of Alcudia you would like to live
The advantage of PP is if for example if you lived in Gotmar which is a very nice residential area but only a short walk into the Port or to the beach this eliminates the driving people around.
We took this into account when we purchased our place so that when people come and stay with us they can easily walk into the port and to the Beach etc.
Old 22-01-2014, 22:42

Personally I would say it is not as safe as it is much larger. Puerto Pollensa and Pollensa are basically villages with a town square as a perfect meeting place for all ages.
Where have you spent your previous holidays? At the very least an area that the youngsters are familiar with will help. The standard of education is not that high but i would recommend extra tuition at home for the language and any subjects that the kids struggle with.
It is hard to keep everyone happy but it will be easier if you involve the youngsters in your plans and allow them to add their constructive view point..... how long have you spent in the area in the past?
I do feel sorry for you as its a massive decision ... I am shortly moving from Pollensa to Campanet (15kms) and my 15 year old is not totally overjoyed at not being close to the beach in the summer!
Old 23-01-2014, 19:16

Smile Family Matters Mallorca

Shelleps, (and others considering moving here)
You may find the following award winning Blog written by an acquaintence of mine Vicki McCleod of interest. She tells it as it is and has several different areas of interest.

Vicki McLeod | Family Matters Mallorca

GOOD LUCK! Jan
pollensa, debz1, Mark and 1 others like this.
Old 24-01-2014, 10:21

we have always holidayed in alcudia, we love the beach. last year we hired a car and drove round the island. we came to Puerto pollensa and loved it aswell. but we love alcudia beach. but at the end of the day I would like to be where the kids can walk to school and be near everything. although the business ideas we have to focus around alcudia, so we need to live near there anyway.
Old 24-01-2014, 10:47

Have you visited in many of the winter months ?

With teenagers I guess most visits have been in school holidays which are mostly in the busy season and the winter is a bit of a shock the first time.

I like the winter for the peace and quiet as a visitor but if you need to make money to survive as a resident it would be hard I guess.

Out of Season Alcudia looks grim and a bit depressing in my opinion.
Alcudia old town OK but not really a town square as such like Pollensa or Port Pollensa.

It's only a short drive to Alcudia so maybe live where is best for everyone.

Good luck with your adventure and as the saying goes ' When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It! ' if you can or you will never know
lollipop likes this.
Old 24-01-2014, 11:22

I don't think we went to pollensa , just PP. are there plenty of children in PP and primary and senior school ??
Old 24-01-2014, 11:47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleps View Post
I don't think we went to pollensa , just PP. are there plenty of children in PP and primary and senior school ??
Yes there are a lot a children here in PP and both primary and senior schools, if the kids then go on to college i think the nearest one is in Pollensa.
JMD40 and shelleps like this.