Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 16:39

Default Pollensa's urgent security information post.

Hi, thanks for the info on being re-directed to another website last night. This happened to me a couple of times during the course of the evening, but I wasnt on my PC; I was on my iphone. I am not brilliant with anything technical, so not sure how (or if) this will affect my phone. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me how I can tell or if there is anything I can do to check! Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone! Bluejr77
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 17:50
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejr77 View Post
Hi, thanks for the info on being re-directed to another website last night. This happened to me a couple of times during the course of the evening, but I wasnt on my PC; I was on my iphone. I am not brilliant with anything technical, so not sure how (or if) this will affect my phone. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me how I can tell or if there is anything I can do to check! Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone! Bluejr77
Happy New Year to you too! I'm afraid I don't know whether an Iphone can be infected by a Trojan Virus & if so what you can do against this. Perhaps someone else might know?
Old 02-01-2012, 18:09

Hi Pollensa. I have just been online seeing if I can find any information (not that I would understand once it got beyond basic idiot level - I didnt even know you had to take the plastic cover off the front until I complained to hubby that the phone didnt work as I couldnt hear anything....... !). Found one post which said that on an iphone you cant download anything via the browser Safari. I suppose if you think logically, everything that does get downloaded is via an App and being the sad person that I am, I havent even downloaded a single App since getting the phone in October as I point blank refuse to give my credit card details to anyone before I even buy anything . Mind you I have also found other posts which say trojans/virus have been found on mobile phones and they have sent texts to premium rate numbers - unbeknown to the person owning the phone until they receive their bill! Oh well...... as always if anyone knows, just let me know and in the meantime I will keep a watchful eye on the phone and the bill! Thank you!
Old 02-01-2012, 18:26

I would say you will be OK as most viruses are to infect windows computers, the iphone is completely different.

I noticed this last night when visiting the forum on a HTC desire phone that runs android, the redirect happened and something tried to run in flash I think, but brought up an error and was unable to run.

iphones dont have flash so I am fairly sure you will be OK.
Old 02-01-2012, 18:46

Hi Mark. Oh thanks so much for this info. I hate admitting my ignorance on all things technical, but at least I can now start to relax! Have a nice evening. Bluejr77 (Janice)
Old 02-01-2012, 19:19

Glad I could help

A link with some information:
Can I Get an iPhone Virus?
Old 03-01-2012, 18:24

I am using 'Lookout' mobile security on my android phone - recommended by a techie friend. Possibly available for iPhone too - not sure - maybe worth investigating

Hope it helps
Old 03-01-2012, 21:24

Hi GG. Just looked online & Lookout is available as an app for iphone. It's all go here - about to download my first app. The next thing you know I will have a Facebook account & be tweeting ...! Thanks very much everyone for your help. Janice.