Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 18:51

Default 3G kindle

Has anyone used the 3G kindle to browse the Internet and download mail whilst in pp?

I am told it works well anywhere in the world with a vodaphone signal

Sounds like a good option for limited free non wifi browsing ..... Especially useful in winter if no wifi bars open close to where you are

I would be really interested in people's experiences before I add one to my Christmas list
Old 07-11-2011, 20:59

Smile 3G Kindle

Hi CD,

We used both the 3g and the cheaper wifi versions.
The 3G was great in Puerto Pollensa, able to pick up web sites easily inlcuding this forum, the weather and daily news headlines.

Battery life is excellent for both 3g and wifi. Almost 2 weeks of heavy reading before had to charge. Charging seems quick, just watch the battery indicator to catch before it goes down.

If buying two you can link via amazon, purchase books once and share via own kindle (buy one get one free, just switch off the wifi if both reading same book after download).

We puchased the amazon covers with intigrated light, I would not buy this version as a holder adds too much weight to otherwise lite item.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:50

This seems a very good option for accessing your email whilst away but do you not incur roaming charges using 3g? If it is a network free 3g connection then it is excellent.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
This seems a very good option for accessing your email whilst away but do you not incur roaming charges using 3g? If it is a network free 3g connection then it is excellent.
Hi WhaleyW

I have been reading various sites about the Kindle as I am also thinking of investing in one.

Apparently, the current Kindle 3g or Kindle Keyboard 3G is the only version to include INTERNET BROWSING VIA 3G. The new model and future ones that are to be touch screen will only be have wifi and maybe 3g LIMITED to allow you to visit Wikipedia and Kindle shop!! Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The Kindle 3g will allow you to surf only via an "experimental Browser" for free.

Whether Amazon who pay for this free3G service will continue to provide the service is unknown!!

There are loads of discussion sites about its limitations re the screen capability etc as it works best with text based sites, as it cannot display pictures etc.

Hope this helps

PS Did you know that the spellchecker wanted to change your name from Whaleywanderer to "Philanderer"!!!

My FlickR Photos

Last edited by El Gordo; 08-11-2011 at 11:31.