Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 17:12

Must agree with miilipet, we had very minimal TV early March but contacted Infinity on a Monday, surveyed on a Wednesday and installed on a Friday (yes, I know I sound like Craig David's '7 days') but they were excellent! They certainly went the extra mile - apart from the dish there was the possibility of needing a new bracket and a new LNB. However, when they installed, no need for a new bracket (just moved it a smidge for even better reception), and no need for a new LNB so we were just charged for the basic. I appreciate any supplier who doesn't sell you what you don't need! 7 of us in our building split €620 between us - all very happy. Would highly recommend Infinity and their marvellous Scottish admin lady, Mary, and her band of engineers who, as millipet says, were all English speaking and what's more were very pleasant to deal with. Can't speak highly enough of the Infinity team who have managed to successfully combine great value with great customer service!
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 06-04-2014, 18:36

The 1.7 m Infinity dish is actually 1.5 because of the way they state the measurement. These may not be completely reliable in bad weather. Would be interesting to get updates as time goes by.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:35

Words of encouragement and support are always appreciated!
debz1 likes this.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by supamac View Post
Must agree with miilipet, we had very minimal TV early March but contacted Infinity on a Monday, surveyed on a Wednesday and installed on a Friday (yes, I know I sound like Craig David's '7 days') but they were excellent! They certainly went the extra mile - apart from the dish there was the possibility of needing a new bracket and a new LNB. However, when they installed, no need for a new bracket (just moved it a smidge for even better reception), and no need for a new LNB so we were just charged for the basic. I appreciate any supplier who doesn't sell you what you don't need! 7 of us in our building split €620 between us - all very happy. Would highly recommend Infinity and their marvellous Scottish admin lady, Mary, and her band of engineers who, as millipet says, were all English speaking and what's more were very pleasant to deal with. Can't speak highly enough of the Infinity team who have managed to successfully combine great value with great customer service!

Suse thanks for getting it sorted, I can watch Corrie again!!

After all your efforts I hope you and Ade managed to 'chill on Sunday'
Old 07-04-2014, 12:50

We did Debs - thanks! Though as you know, Mr M has a PhD (Nobel prize awaited) in chilling so needs no encouragement!!
Old 10-04-2014, 11:57

Ok here is in interesting one for you on our normal sky box we cannot get ITV etc But on our HD box we can get everything by watching in HD we do have a full HD package on this box. Not sure why this is or if it will last all boxes are of the same dish so if you have a HD box and subscription looks like it may work and great picture to
JMD40 likes this.
Old 10-04-2014, 13:26

I can only guess that Sky have come up with a cunning plan to make even more money. As they charge there customers to view HD channels which are available for free elsewhere it looks like they may have put them on the European beam.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
Ok here is in interesting one for you on our normal sky box we cannot get ITV etc But on our HD box we can get everything by watching in HD we do have a full HD package on this box. Not sure why this is or if it will last all boxes are of the same dish so if you have a HD box and subscription looks like it may work and great picture to
Is that just by bringing out your Sky HD card from the UK or do you have a pay prescription in Mallorca?
Old 10-04-2014, 18:33

Nic I sent you a message
Nick likes this.
Old 14-04-2014, 07:09

I have had 2 standard dishes for villas plus one community dish installed in last 10 days.
Standard dish 800€ and the community one 1000€. The service was great, fast and efficient and these guys seem to have the best equipment and dishes. However they had ordered 50 new dishes for delivery this week and 30 of them have already been booked so do not delay too long. If you are renting out and advertising SAT TV your customers are not going to be very happy if they arrive and no signal so do get someone to check out your property on your behalf for you if you are not living here. Some companies have an approx. 3 week waiting list at the moment.
Contact me for any further info..... if its urgent by phone or email will be better as I only connect to the forum when time allows.
Happy Easter all.... enjoy this fab weather!
Old 23-04-2014, 16:49

Just another little update to add to all the confusion about what to do and when.
Had Pedro from Confort round to sort out an IBred problem, which ended up being mostly a laptop problem with McAffee security being very naughty, and just a tiny IBred problem. Pedro fixed the lot - my hero!

Whilst he was here, he said that some people are putting in the wrong dish, thinking its a 1.8, when infact it is a 1.6. The confusion is that the dishes are oval, not completely round. So its the measurement from side to side that must be 1.8, making the height 2m. NOT the height being 1.8, which makes the width only 1.6m. The smaller ones may well work now, but come the summer, with the turn of the earth which misaligns the satellite, they may well not pick up the signal, as well as being hit and miss in bad weather.
Obviously the other problem is the weight of the dish which requires an enormous amount of cement to keep it in place! Im not sure I want to risk it on our roof!!

(Lollipop has said almost the same a few posts back - have just scrolled down.)

Have now downloaded FilmOn through the laptop and will get the cable tomorrow to attach to the TV to enable us to watch tv. Will play the waiting game for a few months and see what settles down with everything.
lollipop and eleanor like this.
Old 25-04-2014, 11:15

Pedro is right but it really does depend on how reliable a signal you need. If you live here all year and want a guaranteed signal including HD at all times then you need the 1.8 x 2m dish minimum at a cost of around 2000€. Alternatively if you are happy with being able to get most SD channels most of the time then a 1.7 x 1.55m dish at around 700€ will do the job.
lollipop likes this.
Old 25-04-2014, 11:26

Thanks Deanscroft, very good point and certainly worth remembering for the financial consideration. Looking into Infinity (almost literally!) at the moment with other residents which seems to be the flavour of the moment.
Old 25-04-2014, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Thanks Deanscroft, very good point and certainly worth remembering for the financial consideration. Looking into Infinity (almost literally!) at the moment with other residents which seems to be the flavour of the moment.

The prices Confort were quoting just aren't price competitive which is why the majority of people I've spoken to are going with Infinity.
Sparky likes this.
Old 25-04-2014, 15:11

Question Gn tv

Has any one tried GN TV? We have spoken with people who are very pleased with their installation.