Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Luckjon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 17:09

Default IPTV (Internet Protocol TV)

IPTV (Internet Protocol TV)

Last year I got lots of advice from this forum on ways to access UK television. I thought that I might summarise my experiences in case others wanted to do something similar.

As my apartment has Movistar fibre-optic broadband, using the internet to access UK television channels seemed logical. I first tried the free version of FILMON which was OK but not particularly user friendly with average picture quality. Because it is free, programmes are constantly interrupted by adverts. I upgraded to Premium service which was advert free and high-definition picture quality. This cost 14.99 euros subscription per month. I was using an old lap-top computer and if I continued with FILMON is would need a new model. I still found navigating to different channels was fiddly.

IPTV was something new to me and consists of two elements; a dedicated set-top box and a broadcast supplier. Independent reports suggested that the MAG250 series boxes work well. These vary in price, with a local northern Mallorca supplier selling them for 250 euros, whilst IPTV MALLORCA will supply one for 180 euros. I bought a brand new and boxed MAG254 over the internet for just over £50. You will need an HDMI lead for TV feed and a 10/100 Ethernet cable to attach to your modem. If your modem is someway from the television, a wi-fi dongle for the MAG250 box costs about 12 euros. The box has a remote control, power leads and perhaps the most useless ‘instruction manual’ ever. However, if you search MAG250/4 on Youtube there are dozens of short tutorial films.

The next task is to search on-line for an IPTV supplier. There are loads of them, mainly small operations and the packages vary with a wide range of prices and content. I opted for a 'UK Lite' service which is limited to main UK channels (similar to Freeview) with most available in high-definition. This costs 14 euros per month or 120 euros for the year. Payment is via Paypal so both the customer and seller are protected. My supplier has a website, Facebook page and provides email and telephone support.

Setting up can be a bit fiddly and you need the MAC Code which is printed on the underside of the box, to connect to the IPTV provider. Again there are loads of step-by-step tutorial videos on Youtube. The picture/sound quality is superb and stable. You can also access many UK radio stations.

I have been running this for a month with only minor glitches. One downside of IPTV is that I have been unable to find a service with sub-titles. My partner has a hearing deficit and often needs subtitles to follow the screen image.

I am a bit of technophobe but it work for me.
Sponsored Links