Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 14:09

Default Martin Lewis - Janet and John re Roaming Phones

Check out this weeks Martin Lewis moneysaving.com website for what Mrs C would call a 'Janet and John' version of using your mobile abroad, and in particularly 3's 'feel at home' offer.

Though he uses the USA as an example, it answers all the questions and more that we were talking about over the last couple of weeks on an earlier thread.

Sparky: feel free to delete link if inappropriate.

Here is the link to Martin Lewis

10 USA Roaming Tips

Too young to remember Janet and John????? see here http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_and_John
Sponsored Links
Old 16-07-2015, 21:56

I have the '3' Feel at Home offer on an 'All you can Eat' data package from home which does allow up to 25GB of data whilst abroad. 3 has always been good here with me having the Euro Internet Pass but this just makes it better.

The only thing I had found was it tend to jump from Movistar to Yoigo quite frequently with the latter having less stable signal in the Port so I just set up my phone to automatically select Movistar which sorted any problems and of course still use the free wifi in any places I went to which offer it.
Old 16-07-2015, 23:16
Banned

Interesting about your phone going from Movistar to Yoigo, a lesser signal. I received my Huawei 4g mifi with SIM card from Three today and set it up and it seems to work fine here in the UK. Touch wood it will in PP as well.

Out of interest how do you make your phone only stay on Movistar? I will be using an ipad. Thanks.
Old 17-07-2015, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Interesting about your phone going from Movistar to Yoigo, a lesser signal. I received my Huawei 4g mifi with SIM card from Three today and set it up and it seems to work fine here in the UK. Touch wood it will in PP as well.

Out of interest how do you make your phone only stay on Movistar? I will be using an ipad. Thanks.
I am happy to report that my device and sim has worked perfectly all week ..we have connected iPad and iPhones and a samsung phone and tablet

Nick..your iPad will be connected to wifi its only a phone that will connect to moviestar or another mobile network for telephony
Nick likes this.

Eating Out
Old 17-07-2015, 21:59
Banned

Thanks Cath.
Old 26-07-2015, 12:35
Banned

Connected my new mifi up and it shows full charge and full signal. IPad, tablet and phones show connected to the unit but I cant get on to the internet for some reason. I confirmed by phone and via letter from three mobile that roaming is on.

Any ideas please?
Old 26-07-2015, 14:02

I tried mine our at home first and it worked ok..when I was away I had to switch off then switch the unit on again to re establish internet connection...this happened a couple of times...checked data usage out there a few times and just got back and checked this morning.. Five of us used 5.5gb over 2 weeks so really pleased with the cost
clinkham likes this.

Eating Out
Old 26-07-2015, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post

Sorry only seeing this now. You go into the settings on an apple device, then network and where it says 'automatic' turn it off and manually select Movistar.
Nick likes this.
Old 28-07-2015, 10:20
Banned

Finally got my Three mifi internet unit up and running. Some sites, such as this, load at a reasonably fast speed but others take an age and nothing seems to download, i.e. YouTube or emails with attachments.

Any ideas please or is it simply the way it is with Three?

Thanks.
Old 28-07-2015, 12:55

Hi, I have also bought the Huawei E5573 and taken out Three's monthly rolling contract but after arriving in the port and trying to set up, the unit initially powers on with 2 green lights but almost immediately, the signal indicator turns red and the mifi dashboard shows "No coverage" and so therefore can't connect to the internet. I am in Pinaret but have tried a few locations in the Port with the same result. Just wondered if there is something else I need to be doing? I have enabled data roaming.

Thanks Emma
Old 28-07-2015, 18:38

I found a few sites slow and more so if we were all using it the same time but on the whole no problems

EmmaA did you check it worked ok in the UK ...i had previously used mine earlier this year with a Digi sim from the locaturio so when the guy in the Three shop sorted the sim here i tried it with phone and ipad at home first...I had a couple of occasions on holiday where the device and phone showing connected to wifi but not able to connect to any web page so powered mifi off then on...also had data roaming and mobile data switched off on phone as I was only using internet via mifi ( any calls/ texts were unaffected as theyvare through the mobile network )

Eating Out
Old 29-07-2015, 10:35

Thanks for replying Cath. Phoned Three yesterday and mifi is now working but only on 3G. Is that because 4G is not available here yet? My son is now able to play Playstation 4 live and play and talk to friends back in England through the Mifi so he is happy
mike_dublin likes this.
Old 29-07-2015, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaA View Post
Thanks for replying Cath. Phoned Three yesterday and mifi is now working but only on 3G. Is that because 4G is not available here yet? My son is now able to play Playstation 4 live and play and talk to friends back in England through the Mifi so he is happy
Did you have to change any settings on your side?
Or how did you get it working?

I'd think that the roaming mightn't apply to 4G.

Happy holidays so ...
Old 29-07-2015, 13:06

Some of the mifi units are not 4g enabled. The one from 3 that costs £29.99 states that it is 3G only. The 4g one is more expensive. I have just bought one to use when we arrive in the middle of August. We are in PP for nearly a fortnight. When would people advise I cancel the contract pls? I only want I pay for one month so have purchased the unit on a one month contract. Thanks in advance.
Old 29-07-2015, 14:55

I was told to ring and give the 30 day notice that is required so it really depends on the date you took it out and the date you want to use it up to and when the next months data allowance is due

Eating Out