Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree517Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 17:06

I have to say I've been visiting over 40 years and have never seen the Port so quiet in a May half term. We used the beach in between the Daina and Miramar and I didn't see one sunbed in use the whole week! There were a few families on the beach during the day but most were coming from the Daina or Miramar. The same week 10 years ago that beach used to be packed with children playing cricket, football etc and you had to be down early to get a sunbed. I know the play area has left less room on the beach but still seemed really quiet this year I'm next out in August so shall see what its like then.

Car
joey36 and Shaun&Caro like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 14-06-2018, 10:38

It would seems the only folk surprised by the fall of tourist are the government.

Still look on the bright side. It does the heart good to know that Britain is not the only country where the folk who make the rules should book themselves a place in a home for the terminally stupid.

Any one that thinks this is a phase that will pass then get in touch as I have some chocolate fire guards you may want to buy.

Did they honestly think all the bars and restaurants and shops in PP were sustained by folks on all inclusive and half board deals. Mind boggling.

Note to the idiots in power. Guess what? If you restrict private rentals in areas that were primarily built on that foundation, then you will lose money big time.

Like I said when this all first started. Be careful what you wish for.

Too many tourist they said. Well, they must be over the moon now. It worked.

Last edited by pollensafan; 14-06-2018 at 14:15.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Yes but is it too late Favie?.
There will be plenty of apartments for the workers but will they have any work to pay the rent, it's a crazy situation. The government did not look at the big picture, they just wanted to please the hotel lobby .

How right you are Madam " S ". 10/10.

Those fools thought " Hmm, stop the rentals and we'll get all that extra business ".

Will they be in for a shock.
joey36 likes this.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:52

The associations agreed that they have experienced significant falls in sales. Alfonso Robledo, president of the restaurants association, said that business turnover in parts of Majorca has dropped by 30%. He picked out Cala d'Or for particular mention, adding that this has had a negative impact on employment.

Don't you just love that part.
The only thing is they left off the bit at the end where Senor Alfonso said ,,,,

" Excuse me now, I must just run off and put my head in the sand, hopefully when I surface it will all have gone away"
Tommo likes this.
Old 14-06-2018, 11:39

Default Trying to be positive

So this year will not be a good one for local business . Can I take it that the review will ensure that private apartments will be available for rent next year or am I deluding myself.

Surely the outcry from the restaurant's and bars will be heard by those in power and will take into consideration their views ?

Scotslizzy
pollensafan, Tommo and RUBY 97 like this.
Old 14-06-2018, 11:57

If apartment owners can persuade a simple majority of owners in their communities to allow holiday rentals, they will be able to apply for a licence.

I would imagine this will require inspections, modifications to facilities for safety criteria, proof of adequate insurance etc.etc together with a hefty fee.

Don't count on it happening quickly. Good luck.
Tangoman likes this.

My FlickR Photos

Last edited by El Gordo; 14-06-2018 at 11:59.
Old 14-06-2018, 12:35

Money talks and if the place starts to lose visitors, everyone will suffer... from taxi drivers, bus companies, restaurants and bars will close and no one will want to buy them. So rates income will drop and the local council will not have the income required to fulfill their duties. Unemployment will rise and create even more issues.

Unfortunately it will require a huge back track, which won't be happening with the current Government, but may happen with a new Government in the years ahead.

Meanwhile, not only will Hotels be upping their prices, but those with Touristic licences will be upping theirs too and we'll find that tourist tax will be the icing on the cake to send loyal Mallorcan visitors elsewhere for the foreseeable future. Despite the thread about the lack of similar places like PP, there are a lot of wonderful holiday spots around the world that are considerably more affordable.
joey36, Tommo and katsmum like this.
Old 14-06-2018, 12:47

If one believes the statistics and I know that's a dangerous hobby but, if you do, the latest for visitors to Mallorca for May show a decrease in British visitors and and increase in Germans (above the fall for Brits) and some other European countries such as France and Scandinavians. I haven't been in PP since the end of April but could it be that other destinations favoured by other nationals are doing well i.e. Cala Ratjada, Cala Millor etc but PP is suffering? The overall picture being that Mallorca as a whole is having a decent season to date.
bobley likes this.
Old 14-06-2018, 13:04

Yes...those stats were interesting, but I think we'll only know for sure once we get into September and see what happened in the previous couple of months.
Old 14-06-2018, 13:05

The pound has dropped 20% since 2015 and now hotels have realigned their stagnated prices (due to airbnb / private rental market) in line with long term inflation so thats added 20% again so in the eyes of your average brit accommodation has risen by 50% (+ tourist tax too)

The europeans have only noticed the 20% rise + tourist tax hence why their numbers are still increasing.

The biggest problem is going to hit the British favoured resorts... like PP
Tonsyl, Tommo, Rockape and 1 others like this.
Old 14-06-2018, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonsyl View Post
If one believes the statistics and I know that's a dangerous hobby but, if you do, the latest for visitors to Mallorca for May show a decrease in British visitors and and increase in Germans (above the fall for Brits) and some other European countries such as France and Scandinavians. I haven't been in PP since the end of April but could it be that other destinations favoured by other nationals are doing well i.e. Cala Ratjada, Cala Millor etc but PP is suffering? The overall picture being that Mallorca as a whole is having a decent season to date.

Well, There lies the rub. Take Cala Dor. in recent years that has become heavily waited in favour of Germans unlike years ago.
Now it's only June and that is reporting a 30% drop.
Are we saying this is solely down to British folk.?

I've read comments saying we have not had the school holiday period yet.

Well, to counteract figures like that, there would have to be an invasion never mind a pick up during that period.

Time will tell, but I know where my bet is.
Tangoman likes this.

Last edited by pollensafan; 14-06-2018 at 15:56.
Old 18-06-2018, 09:31

Arrive last week for a few weeks - earlier than our norm.
We have found the port busy - restaurants full lunch and evening. Beach busy.
Maybe the last 2 years have been excessively busy and this year we are just going back to normal.( people returning to Tunisia, Greece, Egypt.) Also is it World Cup and I think some people change their habits. Also the apartments in our block still have ‘friends and family’ in them. Time will tell - the season is not in full swing yet but in our humble opinion the port seems as busy as usual.
Old 18-06-2018, 12:17

WE came out 2nd- 16th June Weather hit and miss .
Not as many people about this year.Talking to our local friends and Restaurateurs and local shop owners in the Polly Park area
they say takings are down and its very quite.
Market last Tuesday much Quieter than usual for this time of year.
Some restaurants busy as usual but many others able to walk in without a booking which is very unusual .Lets hope for things to improve as we don't want to loose anymore fine establishments
Old 18-06-2018, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy&Myra View Post
WE came out 2nd- 16th June Weather hit and miss .
Not as many people about this year.Talking to our local friends and Restaurateurs and local shop owners in the Polly Park area
they say takings are down and its very quite.
Market last Tuesday much Quieter than usual for this time of year.
Some restaurants busy as usual but many others able to walk in without a booking which is very unusual .Lets hope for things to improve as we don't want to loose anymore fine establishments
Thank you M'lord for that input.
It must have been strange this year.
No bands or fanfares to welcome you as you went into establishments, as was the case in days gone by. .
Roy&Myra likes this.
Old 19-06-2018, 19:38

Before we all get too gloomy, the passenger data for Palma Airport shows more people are still arriving (making allowance for when Easter falls). Now the question has to be, "Where are they all going?" Has anyone checked the caves recently?

Jan......704,99..........642,413.........613,548
Feb......781,602.........720,486.........709,107
Mar......1,270,124.......1,107,698.......2,522,114
Apr......2,200,689.......2,228,171.......1,801,447
May......3,151,663.......3,037,128.......2,924,082

Last edited by Hanser; 19-06-2018 at 19:50.