Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By eleanor
  • 6 Post By poshbeck@gotadsl.co.uk
  • 15 Post By poshbeck@gotadsl.co.uk
  • 2 Post By JMD40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 12:48

Default Dissatisfaction with private holiday rental

My husband and I had a wonderful holiday in PP for three weeks during July 2013 and we returned for a week in September but to an alternative apartment. My husband had recently been diagnosed with a serious illness and we thought a week away as a late booking was deserved. As there were only two of us we booked a one bedroom apartment on the ground floor in Pinaret an area we are very fond of and we usually book in this area if there are only two of us.

A £75 deposit was required for breakages as well as the normal charge. When we arrived the apartment was definitely not as described. It was dirty, the toilet roll holder was broken, the bedding was old and tired and didnt match a duvet cover had been used as a bottom sheet. The chest of drawers in the bedroom did not have knobs attached only the screws. The patio door only opened on one side the patio chairs were broken and the garden hadnt been mowed in months. The kitchen did not possess a bin there were no tea towels and very few glasses. The towels provided were worn and thin. In other words we were extremely disappointed.

Upon our return when returning the keys I pointed out all of these errors and waited for a response from the owner. I had also taken pictures of the apartment and advised the owner. Three weeks later I received the return of the £75 deposit only after I had threatened the small claims court. I was advised that the owner would be going out to the apartment to verify my complaints. I chased for a reply and was advised that the cleaner had been busy sorting out her daughter going to college in the UK; and had had someone else do the cleaning. The owner sent me pictures to show that the patio furniture had been replaced and new towels provided.

I then asked for a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill as the owner obviously agreed with me that the apartment had not been upto scratch by replacing furniture and sending me the pictures to prove it. However I pointed out that this would benefit future clients but did not make up for our experience. Guess what happened! nothing a stony silence. I can only assume that this means No No refund.

We have been holiday in PP for over 25 years and have never been disappointed with our accomodation before. I know that most owners provide exactly what they describe and that is what the client pays for.

If anyone wants to contact me by private message in order to avoid this particular experience I would be delighted to furnish the details of our unsatisfactory accomodation.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-10-2013, 13:47
Super Moderator

So sorry to hear this Poshbeck. If your rental was through this site do PM the details to Pollensa (Zelda), i am sure she will want to know about it.
Old 17-10-2013, 13:50

This is very much unacceptable and thankfully not the norm. As you say you have had many a holiday over a number of years in PP and always been happy with the accommodation.

Did the owner give you a contact person in PP for you to contact? Also did you contact the owner on arrival to state your disappointment? Did you give them the opportunity to put right your concerns? You did the correct thing in taking photos and providing proof of your complaint. The fact that the cleaner had family problems and things have now been fixed/replaced is not of consequence to you. I would suggest that the fact that furniture was broken and linen was unacceptable as was utilities within the apartment suggests that this was far from a one off. This would not happen just suddenly in time for your visit.

Are the owners in England and was your contract/booking form under English law? It should state this on your terms and conditions which should have been supplied. If yes then you can take the case to small claims. This would be a last result as various things may influence the judges decision including which side of the bed he got out that day!

It is very annoying for all the private owners who go out of their way to provide a good service and home from home environment. I can not for one moment believe this is the one and only complaint about this apartment but certainly it should be the last complaint!

Keep the pressure on them to provide you with a satisfactory end to this. You can not ask for a complete refund as you did actually stay there. I do hope this didn't ruin your holiday and your husband is now on the way to recovery. Good luck.
Belladonna and Lorenzo like this.

Last edited by eleanor; 17-10-2013 at 13:54. Reason: typo
Old 17-10-2013, 17:31

Thanks I will forward to Zelda.
Old 18-10-2013, 00:26

I would like to thank everybody for their comments and I would reiterate that this was the first time in over 25 years and all of the other accomodation we have stayed in has been lovely. It will not put us off of returning next year but to accomodation we have stayed in previously.
jiggggy, Sparky, JMD40 and 3 others like this.
Old 22-10-2013, 12:58

Default Success

I have recvd a partial refund after the Pollensa website contacted the advertiser. I do not think this would have happened if not for their intervention. Many thanks.
pollensa, CathB, debz1 and 12 others like this.
Old 08-11-2013, 00:06

I think Eleanor point is very important and it may have helped had you made a phone call or sent an email on your first day to the owner or local agent allowing them to put things right and for you to enjoy the accommodation for the remainder of your stay.
I am glad that the experience has not put you off returning to Mallorca as you know this is not the norm. Things do go wrong all over the world and the important thing is to have a phone number and someone on hand to rectify the problems on the spot.
debz1 and Lorenzo like this.