Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Holiday Shopping

Holiday Shopping Includes useful links to on-line shopping for travel essentials.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-01-2010, 12:18

Cool lightweight luggage

We have bought Samsonite extra light cases but be warned they are pricey however work out better than excess charges
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 13:52

I am off to Seville at the end of the month with Ryanair, we are taking just hand luggage which is 10kg, I have brought a set of scales as recommended and weighing things to check I stay under, but looking at the paper work from Ryanair it states if you go over the limit they charge 6 euros per Kg, this seems very cheap and so if I go over by 1 or 2 kg i wouldn't worry, can someone confirm that they have only been charged this by Ryanair?

On island time!!
Old 01-04-2010, 14:10

I have never had luggage weighed by Ryanair,but they do check to see if it meets their size regs and if not charge you 35 euro's.
Old 01-04-2010, 14:26

Thanks Lollipop, in that case I had better check their case size limit

Just checked

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

Extra/oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £35/€35. If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

On island time!!

Last edited by sws97sdg; 01-04-2010 at 14:29.
Old 01-04-2010, 15:34

I would suggest you watch your luggage weight too as I know we were well under having weighed ours yet according to their scales we were over!! - funny that - not!
Old 01-04-2010, 15:52
Super Moderator

I guess it just proves the old adage " There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" . How do we prove they are wrong? and if we spend too long arguing with them......we miss the flight........win win for the airlines
Old 01-04-2010, 16:58

Sparky you are right. Also of course it is embarrassing especially if there is a long que. I really don't know how we can prove their scales are wrong. They have you really - also the problem with arguing with them is they may decide not to allow you on the flight at all!!
We are lucky in our area we have a choice of airports so more choice of who to fly with. I must say since our little run in with Ryanair, they are right down my list. I know others are not so lucky to have a choice but I just hate being in a que wondering what will happen. Another time with Ryanair, there was only 1 desk open and although we arrived with 2 hours to spare we ended up with minutes to go as the que was so long. - Too much for the blood pressure, i'm afraid!
Old 01-04-2010, 19:22

Yes but at 6 euros a kg its hardly the end of the world if you go over by 1 or 2 is it

On island time!!
Old 01-04-2010, 20:17

Not sure if it applies to hand luggage, but my parents went over on their hold luggage by 1kg and were charged £20.
Old 02-04-2010, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Yes but at 6 euros a kg its hardly the end of the world if you go over by 1 or 2 is it

we were told we were 4 kilos over and they wanted to charge 40 Euros. The point actually was that we knew we were under!

So it may not have been the end of the world but it certainly was the end of Ryanair for us!!
Old 02-04-2010, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Sparky you are right. Also of course it is embarrassing especially if there is a long que. I really don't know how we can prove their scales are wrong. They have you really - also the problem with arguing with them is they may decide not to allow you on the flight at all!!
We are lucky in our area we have a choice of airports so more choice of who to fly with. I must say since our little run in with Ryanair, they are right down my list. I know others are not so lucky to have a choice but I just hate being in a que wondering what will happen. Another time with Ryanair, there was only 1 desk open and although we arrived with 2 hours to spare we ended up with minutes to go as the que was so long. - Too much for the blood pressure, i'm afraid!
To give yourself a little confidence that you won't have trouble at the scales, I suggest you invest in one of these - 'Balanzza Ergo Digital Luggage Scale' - just Google or check out Amazon - currently £14.98 + free delivery.
Carried in your hand baggage, if there is a dispute you can whip out you own scales. Being digital, you can't be accused of tampering and if you really want to be an anorak, you could perhaps get it tested prior to departure,at the weights and measures dept at your local council!!! They may give you a certificate!! You will certainly be on stronger ground, if only to pay the excess but raise a complaint there and then. Perhaps get checkin to do a bit of paper confirming your scales are showing below the limit.

Last edited by clinkham; 04-04-2011 at 12:38.
Old 02-04-2010, 21:29
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
To give yourself a little confidence that you won't have trouble at the scales, I suggest you invest in one of these - 'Balanzza Ergo Digital Luggage Scale' - just Google or check out Amazon - currently £14.98 + free delivery.
See it here puertopollensa.com/holiday-shopping.html#accessories
Old 03-04-2010, 09:06

Great idea Clinkham - I quite fancy the idea of being an anorak lol could be great fun if a number of people in the que did the same.

May bring about an attitude change if nothing else.

I actually bought one of these in Matalan I think it was about £10 - must remember to pack it next time!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
Carried in your hand baggage, if there is a dispute you can whip out you own scales. Being digital, you can't be accused of tampering and if you really want to be an anorak, you could perhaps get it tested prior to departure,at the weights and measures dept at your local council!!! They may give you a certificate!! You will certainly be on stronger ground, if only to pay the excess but raise a complaint there and then. Perhaps get checkin to do a bit of paper confirming your scales are showing below the limit.
Re today's thread about Easyjet luggage weights - as someone said, we have been here before! My post from last year is copied above (dunno how to 'link back' or whatever. We are having a go at hand luggage only with
Jet2 next week. Hope this won't coincide with a tightening up of size/weight controls. As suggested above I'll be taking my little scales. As Pollensa pointed out these are available via a link in the 'travel accessories section.
Old 04-04-2011, 13:35

Location: 39°33′06″N 002°44′20″E / 39.55167°N 2.73889°E / 39.5

Given your 'allowance size' of 55 x 20 x 40 on cabin bags the closest I have seen is 55 x 20 x 34 on a bag (with wheels) which is slightly under 1kg. The bags are available in numerous colours and cost £9.99 plus P & P if you internet/post order. Realising that advertising not permitted (Sun Props told off last week - ha ha !!) difficult to tell you where to get from but ebay item 260658056988 should help!