Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > General Feedback

General Feedback Use this area to provide general feedback on the PuertoPollensa.com web site. Suggest new sections, tell us what you like and don't like.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:19

Default Heavy hand of moderating?

I took a minute to look back at the moderated threads over the last month this morning and this is what I found:

Me:

5 February - asked for weather thread to stay on track (and a couple of members asked for it to stay that way as well)

2 February - was asked by Med77 to split a thread and start a new one for Barrhead Travel/Glasgow airports.

30 January - first time asking for the weather thread to stay relevant to PP

2 January - closed the thread on the Smoking ban as I felt everything had been covered already on the forum and things were starting to get personal

Sparky:

7 February - attempt to get Top 3 restaurant thread back on track.

6 February - request to keep weather thread on track.

I would hardly call this heavy moderating! In fact there was quite a bit of banter yesterday from Bonyslad who is out in Australia at the moment and which certainly hasn't been moderated!

If anyone can find any more moderated threads, please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2010, 12:45

I'm a relative newcomer to the forum. I haven't posted for a few weeks - not had anything to say. However, I read the posts everything day - especially Sparky's weather report. Sometimes we all tend to meander a bit and go off topic. If we do, the Moderator's job is just to get us back on track. It's not what you say but how you say it. Don't take it personally. I love this forum. Over the years it has given me a wealth of information and each year before I get to PP I have a list of new restaurants to try and places to go.

My view - you can't please all the people all of the time.

Jan
Old 08-02-2010, 13:54

I’m a relative newcomer to both PP and the Forum and have been reading the feedback discussion with great interest – so here is my “take” on the forum.

I discovered the PP website in 2007 when I was planning a holiday with husband, son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. We’d been to Majorca a few times when the kids were young, but never stayed in PP. I found a great apartment on the website for June 2008 and then became an avid reader of the forum (still am!). I found the information and tips absolutely invaluable – car hire, best way to get from the airport, restaurants, public transport, everything.

Without the forum, we wouldn’t have “hit the ground running” in terms of making the most of our week – came home and booked straightaway for 2 weeks in 2009 – I’m sure that there are a lot of users like me.

I like the way everyone answers all the questions that us “newbies” put – even though the same things get asked over and over again.

I like the way the “regulars” respond to and encourage new posters.

I like the inside knowledge that comes from those of you who either live in PP or have been going from many years.

I like the detailed information of what is going on, what is open and closed, what is changing hands, what is changing with airlines,etc.

I like the friendly banter, and the descriptions of people’s experiences – eating and travel. Jane, we never would have done the PP-Palma-Soller trip on public transport if your post hadn’t sounded so tempting.

I loved the saga of Miriam’s husband’s car journey from Scotland to PP.

Where I think the difficulties arise is when there are strong feelings about certain issues; it’s much easier to give or take offence when all that you have are the words on a page; when you can’t see the body language or hear the tone of voice - particularly if you don’t actually know the person.

And sometimes, as with the smoking discussion, threads can go on for too long saying the same thing.

When threads start to “wander” it can make it a bit harder to tell from the title which thread had a particular gem of information – and I’m not good at “searching”!

Sorry, this is so rambling. I think what I’m saying is that I find the forum an entertaining mine of information; I think the moderating is “moderate” – there is room for dissension but, at the end of the day, it is a forum not a chat room.

Ann
Old 08-02-2010, 14:08

I agree with all you say jjacks and beancounter.

Like others, I too have become reluctant to post of late, not because of any fear of the wrath of the moderators, but rather fear of unhelpful and sometimes rude comments from certain members, posting comments which can bear no relevance to Puerto Pollensa at all. I may be wrong, but I feel valuable members with useful contributions to make have been lost in the recent past for this very reason.

I too love the forum and have learned a great deal about PP from it, but it is not a chat room and I think it is important to keep things on track rather than loose all all the valuable information it contains. I can't understand why anyone would be offended for being asked, always politely, to do so.

Last edited by LK1960; 08-02-2010 at 14:12.
Old 08-02-2010, 14:18

Some relevant points are being made in the last few posts.
jJacks, your point about its not what is said but the way it is said, is very true, and that goes for all of us. I do feel that some threads will continue to ramble on season after season, as new members join and inadvertently open the can of worms up again ie good old Bonys debate and the smoking debate. Yes, this is tedious repetition and certainly worth the moderators - or anyone else with sense surely - worth mentioning that all discussions can be viewed as posted before.
Moderators definately come into their own on sorting out the more "strange" posts that often occur that many of us never, thankfully, get to see, so good on them for that.

There will also be threads that go off track. Here I think is where the bone of contention is. Yes, Bean Counter, you are absolutely right, it IS a forum and not a chat room, but many of us "oldies" still like the occassional friendly dig or memory at or with someone we have met over the years - through the forum -and this can go for perhaps 3 or 4 posts before the thread gets back on track itself. It is here that many of us feel the moderators do not need to trouble themselves.
You made some extremely good points on what you like BC - and so say all of us!
I feel all of us should be able to self moderate, but realise that others may feel the need to step in sometimes.
This forum has brilliant members and growing all the time. Because of this there will be times of stress but we all actually want exactly the same thing.
Lets not get caught up in inconsequential detail please.
Old 08-02-2010, 14:28

Well said Bella, let's hope common sense prevails.

Jan
Old 08-02-2010, 18:06

Totally agree with everything Bella says.
Lets also remember that this forum is the website's 'stock' which I think is a very important point here. Without the stock, where would the website be?
I go back to my point in that it is not what is said but how it is said that is important.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21

Goodness knows what kind of state the board would get into without the moderator! Sometimes it's difficult to tell when someone is being serious or taking the mick, although some people can be awfully easily offended, same with all internet sites. My main dissapointment though, there still posters with the attitude my point of view is all that matters and have go at others for their point of view. This should end, we all have differing views and it should be left as such. Unless it's a helpfull reply, let's leave it!

The post which suggested someone should perhaps holiday somewhere else if they don't like Bony's was disgraceful, this sort of rhetoric only puts people of off posting, and that's not right.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29

As usual Smiddy a very sensible and wise post, agree with you

On island time!!
Old 09-02-2010, 15:45

Right, where do I start? Looks like I am one of those whose name is mud at the moment for getting the Bony's thread closed. I am not one to laugh at my own jokes, but I thought it was quite amusing. Though clearly there was a severe sense of humour bypass as far as the moderators were concerned. It took me a while, and I thought I actually made a point (road to hell being paved with good intentions, the power of negative advertising etc). Post could have actually added to the discussion, though it seemed to go over people's heads (at least those with the power). Certainly wasn't my intention to offend anyone (and ironically, I don't think it did). Rather to give people a bit of a laugh.
Old 09-02-2010, 18:54

Well said Smiddy - I quite often hesitate at posting for fear of upsetting , offending or being taken the wrong way

If everybody thought about their posts from other people point of view perhaps many resulting disagreements could be avoided

GG
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17

But it is a Forum, Gommar Goffer. There are bound to be disagreements by it's very nature. There also seems to be an inherent snobbery in some of the threads which is going to get people's backs up, and it was this which led to the post to which you refer, Smiddy. Daily Mail type hysterical "We are all going to be murdered in our beds" stuff. However, I suspect many of the threads are purely to provoke debate and polarise opinion (not that there's anthing wrong with that). After all, this is the Internet, and everybody is not necessarily as they seem! Are you suggesting everybody waters down their opinion to the point of banality? Why should disagreements be avoided? . If I really do not like a restaurant should I say so, or dilute my opinion to appease others? Personally, I love a good argument, and don't feel I have to apologise for holding a particular opinion.

No offence meant!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:02
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
But it is a Forum, Gommar Goffer. .... Personally, I love a good argument, and don't feel I have to apologise for holding a particular opinion.
Paul, you may love a good argument but that isn't the purpose of THIS forum. It is to provide INFORMATION about a holiday resort. Having run the forum for several years I, and the other moderators, know full well that what starts out as a 'discussion' where members have strong opinions about a certain place or topic sooner or later degenerates into personal abuse directed towards other members. It's a shame that this happens but it does - time & time again and we also know the trigger points - specific bars, restaurants & topics. Apart from wanting to avoid this on the forum - it deters new members from posting & guests from joining - we've seen it before and it gets pretty boring.

Of course if you do not like somewhere they can say why you do not like it but at the same time you do need to respect the opinions of others who do.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:45

Just like to say I really enjoy the forum and having visited PP many times over the years starting in 1990 I have found the forum very very interesting and a gold mine of [U]useful information.
As for the current topic and I'm not taking sides here, I think reasoned,sensible and polite discussion should be the order of the day. Everyone may hold their own opinions but sometimes it's not always wise to air them in public.
Sorry if this comes across as a bit pompous.I would'nt dream of offending anyone and do hope I have'nt done so.