Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Flora & Fauna

Flora & Fauna Especially for the botanists and twitchers.

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I don't think they could exist if there was only one.....
Doh! Silly me ..and biology was my only ology O level
El Gordo, Sparky and lollipop like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-07-2014, 20:22

Turtles, a happy tale. Just 1 year ago we saw a turtle on the road in the urbanization where we live. Put posters up and asked at the Vets but to no avail so we took her home with us and she was happy in our little garden. Then we read about the Llenaire bridge and decided that she would be better with her "friends", we took her to the stream about three weeks ago and today we had the pleasure of seeing her enjoying her new home with two other turtles, sunning themselves on the rocks and swimming. Job well done!
Old 03-10-2014, 16:14

Saw the turtle sunning itself by the bridge this morning.
El Gordo likes this.
Old 03-10-2014, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey36 View Post
Saw the turtle sunning itself by the bridge this morning.
What time did you go joey? We went twice a couple of weeks ago after coffee at Hotel Llenaire but didn't see them. I'm wondering if they like to sunbathe on the rocks either early or late in the day and whether the time we went (around midday) is just too hot for them. It was ridiculously hot while we were there. On one of our 'turtle watch' trips we saw bubbles coming up from the deeper part which is shaded by the bridge,and thought that may have been one, but nothing came up for air while we watched.

There were however two cute baby mules with their mum in the field opposite so it wasn't a wasted trip
Old 03-10-2014, 21:47

We too went after a visit to the Hotel Llenaire. It was about midday that we saw him.
El Gordo likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 16:28

We saw eels recently along with what I think we're large shoals of trout and a few morhens, if you do go to see them take some carrots as just over the bridge and around the corner on the right is an old finca with a beautiful black horse and a lovely donkey, we cycled up there most days to feed them

On island time!!
Old 05-10-2014, 00:13

Hi SWS, it's highly likely that the large shoals of fish you saw were Grey Mullet.
Lots of them also to be seen from the bridge at La Gola and the small 'canal' (for want of a better description) that feeds / relieves La Gola from / to the sea.
These are also the shoals of fish that people / children regularly feed with bread all along Pollensa Bay. Good that lots of people are looking out for the wildlife around P.P. these days. Also look out for the White Egrets and Herons at La Gola and also along the waters edge along the bay. If you are lucky you may also spot the odd Osprey or two.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:33

Hi Pescador, I know the fish you mean, but I am sure they are freshwater fish as the stream must stll be freshwater there as it rises in the mountains and flows down into the sea, the bottom bit must be brakish, but fresh by the bridge hence the morhens.
I am one of the people who feed the fish in the sea, I swim first thing and take bread to feed the large shoals of fish on the main beach.
As for the birds there were a few herons around, one was massive and could be found in the night fishing in la Gola, you could see his ghostly figure in the darkness, we also saw kestrels or sparrow harks chasing the pigeons in El Pinaret
lollipop likes this.

On island time!!
Old 06-07-2015, 18:27

Anyone seen the turtles this year in the stream at the Llenaire bridge?
Old 06-07-2015, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
Anyone seen the turtles this year in the stream at the Llenaire bridge?
We have been quite a few times over the last few months but have not seen anything but eels

My FlickR Photos
Old 06-07-2015, 22:00

We went a few times in June and didn't see any turtles either. We were quite surprised that the stream was completely dry on the opposite side of the road to the hotel Llenaire and wondered if this had had an impact.
Old 06-07-2015, 22:12

I love the variety of flora and fauna too. On my dog walks with my German Shepherd in the woods, I have seen all sorts, including a massive snake, all reared up, hissing and seemingly ready to strike(Eek! I looked it up on the internet and apparently it was a false smooth snake and I was lucky to see it. Lucky???) Also many varieties of bird, including a huge bird of prey - looked kind of like a buzzard but was far bigger than any buzzard I'd ever seen in the UK and of course, hoopoes. And then just recently I saw a baby tortoise trundling along in the grass, and saw its mum or dad the following morning. I was so excited! If I can ever work out how, I'll post a photo!
debz1 and El Gordo like this.
Old 11-09-2015, 14:06

We've been a few times recently to look for the turtles but have not seen any. We usually go around midday after coffee at Llenaire. Whoever we are with always look rather strangely at me when I say 'right we're going on a turtle hunt now' but everyone quite happily gets involved and joins in pacing up and down the lane to the side of the torrent, and peering over the bridge. Has anyone seen that the area by the bridge is completely overgrown now with weeds whereas last year there was plenty of water? A long hot summer indeed! We did notice something strange the other day though. Someone had placed a plate in the water with 5 chicken eggs on it! I can only think it was put there for the turtles or the water snakes but when we returned a few days later the eggs were still intact albeit they had fallen off the plate by the flow of the water
Old 11-09-2015, 19:49

I went to our local bookshop today and asked for a book on Turtles. The assistant said
" Hardback?"
I said "Yes hardback and a little head" 😂
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 4 others like this.
Old 17-09-2015, 19:20

Ha HA !
Our whole family had a good chuckle at that one.
Jat