Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 14:15

Default What's passport control like at Palma now?

We were delayed in one of the long queues at passport control when we left Palma Airport last June. I read about even worse queues a few weeks later, but then it sounded as if things were improving by the end of the summer. We are flying to Palma for a week in mid-June, both flights on a Saturday morning, and I wondered what passport control is like now, entering and leaving Mallorca. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 29-05-2018, 15:29

There was an article only yesterday in the MDB online.
Talking about intensifying controls, but also being aware of long queues last summer, and therefore having a large reinforcement of police this summer.

I'd expect non Schengen passport controls to be experiencing delays over the summer, despite any reinforcements.

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...-airports.html

Quote:
In line with the summer safe tourism plan that was presented in Palma last week by the national interior minister, Juan Ignacio Zoido, the National Police will be intensifying controls at strategic points in the Balearics - ports and airports.

Zoido said last week that there will be a large reinforcement of police this summer. An aspect of the National Police tasks that will be of particular interest to UK holidaymakers will be passport control, which falls firmly within the Schengen policy and was the cause of long queues last summer.
Old 29-05-2018, 15:31

I came out late on Weds and left early on Sunday, so not exactly busy and flew through the airport with no delays at all.
Old 29-05-2018, 17:02

We were caught in the hold ups last June they were awful So hot and couldnt get any of the drinks machines to work so we will be prepared this time before we start the long haul down the slope Hot and no air conditioning and then a dash to the plane and we had allowed 2 hours which is normally enough

We will go to the airport a bit earlier than usual this time
Tommo likes this.
Old 18-06-2018, 09:18

Came through Palma passport control last Thursday evening - one flight in front of us and it took us half an hour to get through - 3 policemen on duty and the electronic gates were not working. Worried for our family who have to travel on a Saturday. No modernisation coming into Palma but when we left in May there had been a lot of work done in the passport control for departures - moving walkways gone and new booths. We shall see!
Old 18-06-2018, 12:04

Saturday 16th June 1300hrs The queue for passport control to enter started at Burger King in the Departure lounge.
We were leaving and departure Control just waved us through.
As said all the new gates are installed but not working.
Lets hope its sorted by September.
Old 18-06-2018, 12:16

No problem going but coming back was not good (to put it mildly) and think we queued for at least half an hour so glad we had left plenty of time. They are installing electronic automatic passport scanners but obviously not ready yet and I think there were only about 2 (maybe 3) people in the 'boxes' who were chatting and joking merrily and hardly giving the passport a glance - probably a good thing in view of the length of the queues! This was last Saturday.
Old 19-06-2018, 12:16

We arrive at around 11.30 pm on a friday in July ,anyone have any experience of passport and car hire queues at this time?
Thanks
Old 19-06-2018, 13:05

Many car hire desks close at 11pm so I've booked a transfer for a change.
Old 19-06-2018, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobley View Post
Many car hire desks close at 11pm so I've booked a transfer for a change.
Interestingly, I booked a car collection at 1.30am and the Gold Car site said they closed at 11pm. However, I booked through Rentalcars.com and they said someone would be there. I was a bit late and turned up at 2am and there was a sign on the wall that said it cost 40 euros to collect after 11pm....which caused me to seethe, but couldn't do anything about it. He also told me there were three others on the flight he was waiting for.

When I returned home, I contacted Rentalcars and they reimbursed me the money.

Anyway....re the queues, our flight was the last in and the airport was empty, so I was first to PP control and through in 5 secs.
Rosie34 likes this.

Last edited by Rockape; 19-06-2018 at 15:17.
Old 19-06-2018, 18:46

The new passport gates for arrivals [AT TERMINAL C] were working when I arrived in December, January and February and March. They were not open for use two weeks ago [AT TERMINAL A].

They were very quick and worked first time [AT TERMINAL C]. Very much quicker than the ones at UK airports.

I feel so ashamed of the first impression that the UK Border Agency gives visitors. The gates are so slow and unreliable. When I travelled in April, I was not allowed to help my 84-year old father who is unable to see and uses a stick to walk. He was told he had to try to use the gates alone. Eventually, a complete stranger shouted to the staff and they came and helped.

Last edited by Hanser; 20-06-2018 at 06:37. Reason: I FORGOT ABOUT TERMINAL BUILDING WORK]
Old 19-06-2018, 22:19

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...-continue.html

Quote:
Another year, same old story. British passengers flying out of Palma airport are again having to endure long queues at passport control and at boarding gates. Terminal A, or ‘terminal Brit’, appears to be facing the same issues as last year, despite assurances by the airport authority Aena that the problems would have been resolved in time for this summer.

Old 26-06-2018, 10:57

No passport queue arriving on Sunday 24th June at 19:00.

At 11:00 today, Tuesday 26th, about six queues, some moving very slowly but the one I was in took 6 minutes.
Old 26-06-2018, 12:07

Got back to Luton last night and the queue to get back into the UK was 45 mins.

Palma inbound on friday AM was no queue, leaving was 3-4 mins.
Old 26-06-2018, 14:38

We were only a few minutes when we arrived on Saturday evening, the machines were in operation.