Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 10:42
Founder

Exclamation Palma Airport - Hand luggage control increased

As Reported by Majorca Daily Bulletin

Quote:
From tomorrow in every Spanish airport, including Palma, all passengers’ hand luggage will undergo close inspection from security staff to check for traces of explosives.

Palma.— While the measure could be seen as “extreme” for some, airport authorities explained yesterday that international terrorism organisations have been developing new techniques to hide explosives in hand luggage, and as such, safety and security measures in local airports will be increased, to comply with European Union laws.
Irons, hair dryers, cameras, batteries and kids toys will be inspected closely as they are part of an object on the high risk list.

Potential threats
Mobile phones, video cameras, computers, pocket calculators and pocket sized sewing machines have also been highlighted as potential threats. In total a budget of 17 million euros has been allocated for this massive national operation, but money well be spent according to AENA director Fernando Echegaray.
Give yourselves pleanty of time & watch what you pack in your hand luggage!
roig cat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2015, 10:56

I was under the impression they already did this - or did they just choose certain passengers at random for this type of check? We were stopped at Luton a couple of years ago because minute traces of some sort of explosive were found on our hand luggage - I have no idea how or when it got there but it could only really logically be through contamination from other luggage at an airport. It was a small bag and had never travelled in the hold so it must have picked up the traces when going through the scanner (I assume - either that or their equipment was giving a false reading). I did have visions for a moment of being arrested on terrorism charges but they just searched the bag in a rather cursory fashion and let us go - we weren't delayed by more than five minutes.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:10
Banned

Instead of randomly bothering totally law-abiding citizens, and we've all had it done by over zealous security at check-in, some I'm sure just get a kick out of it, we should be doing "passenger profiling" as Israeli airlines do.

Also, as Kate says, your luggage must come into contact with all sorts of substances at airports. A while back my case was swabbed for drugs and I asked security what happens if my case had been in contact with someone's contaminated with drugs and he couldn't give me an answer. Believe me I'm all for security but we need to target the bad people, not just anyone. We need those body scanners in all airports. Doesn't bother me if anyone gets a thrill looking at me naked!
joey36, kate1 and scouse mark like this.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:23

I think this is just a strengthening of things they should be doing anyway. At Gatwick they have been doing this for ages, swabbing liquid bags and laptops, but the last few years through Palma they haven't even asked for the fluids to be taken out of hand luggage, he waved me through last time and said to leave them in the case!

On island time!!
Old 04-03-2015, 13:34
Super Moderator

I suppose the problem these days is that there are so many "home grown terrorists" that it is impossible to know who is or who is not a law abiding citizen.
lollipop and scouse mark like this.
Old 04-03-2015, 14:06

Travelling back on Sunday afternoon I was held up by these more stringent processing checks.

My hand luggage bag in one tray was taken aside while the rest of my items (iPad /Computer / Jacket etc.) continued on another tray down the long conveyer.

I was then called over by security and separated from my other items to remove most of the contents of my hand luggage bag into yet another tray and for that tray and my hand luggage bag to be re-screened. I was then allowed on my way.

Thankfully it was quiet on Sunday but I would be very worried to be separated from the rest of my valuables, as I was this time, in the height of summer when the airport security lines a jam packed with 100s of people.
Old 04-03-2015, 14:25

Totally agree James - it's difficult enough keeping track of all your bags etc when they are together And, from my experience, the security staff at Palma are not the most friendly or accommodating. I know that what they do is important from the point of security but their attitude is sometimes unacceptable.
scouse mark likes this.
Old 04-03-2015, 14:31

They were pretty stringent at Palma when we returned in January too. All shoes off; belts - as ususal; checking sizes of watches and bracelets (can you really smuggle things on a bracelet?). One of my trays went straight through, the other veered off to the "holding tank" amongst a lot of fast talking! When I finally got allowed backwards towards the area, it turned out that a very small, empty bottle of perfume had found its way to the bottom of a bag and caused quite a lot of worry!
Yes, I felt an idiot, but I was really quite impressed that they spotted it. I have no problem at all with them being strict and thorough at any airport - but perhaps a couple more conveyor belt areas would speed the process up so we can get to Duty Free for longer!!
lollipop and kate1 like this.

Last edited by Belladonna; 04-03-2015 at 14:42. Reason: Wrong month!
Old 04-03-2015, 16:36

We have for a long time now taken watches jewellry belts off and put that and any loose change mobiles etc in our main bag before it goes through security

It saves time and also a nephew of ours had one of the first expensive Ipods stolen going through loose in a tray several years ago He was a music student and it had music he had written on it and was to him very precious

I think the tightest security we ever go through is Bournemouth Everything I own is searched and swabbed ( Lady OAP ! ) and I now feel guilty when I get there for nothing !! All airports seem to have such different standards re security and hand luggage rules !!!!
sws97sdg and animagic21 like this.
Old 04-03-2015, 18:14

Copper, I'm fairly sure we've been asked a couple of times to remove any electronic devices from our hand luggage bag and put them in a separate tray? I do think you're absolutely right and different airports have slightly different protocols.
Old 04-03-2015, 18:20

Oh dear this is very worrying. I always set the alarm's off walking through the "scanner". I'm convinced I have a metal plate in my skull from infancy, that my parents neglected to tell me about. It doesn't happen occasionally, it's every time ! Maybe it is my sheer "animal magnetism" that set's the alarm off !
sws97sdg, Tommo and scouse mark like this.
Old 04-03-2015, 18:22

It's only seems to be iPads and laptops, used to be hairdryers and tongs but not now or iPods, just large electrical they say, mainly for swabbing, it all gets x- rayed anyway!

On island time!!
Old 04-03-2015, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsp View Post
Oh dear this is very worrying. I always set the alarm's off walking through the "scanner". I'm convinced I have a metal plate in my skull from infancy, that my parents neglected to tell me about. It doesn't happen occasionally, it's every time ! Maybe it is my sheer "animal magnetism" that set's the alarm off !
Lol, the wife is the same, no matter what she seems to set it off while I waltz through

On island time!!
Old 04-03-2015, 19:52

The other unfortunate thing is, I always look guilty even when I've done nothing wrong. That's what a convent school education does for you..... Sister's of Mercy..... they never showed us any !
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 04-03-2015, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsp View Post
The other unfortunate thing is, I always look guilty even when I've done nothing wrong. That's what a convent school education does for you..... Sister's of Mercy..... they never showed us any !
Perhaps that's why I always get 'pulled' at Palma - the guilty ex-convent schoolgirl expression