Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By lovemallorca
  • 1 Post By gers1873
  • 1 Post By lovemallorca
  • 1 Post By arturo22
  • 1 Post By pollensa
  • 2 Post By ragdollabbi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 20:47

Question CPAP Unit

We have booked with Jet2 for 3 nights in April My husband uses a CPAP breathing unit at night and I was under the impression that any medical equipment could be carried as hand luggage as well as the normal allowance. As we are only coming for 3 nights I did not book hold luggage and now Jet2 are telling me that the unit should form part of our hand luggage entitlement It has never been a problem before as it always has been hubby's hand luggage when we have hold luggage as well. Anyone had any experience of anything like this before? I do believe Easyjet allow medical equipment to be carried as 'an extra' Do I now have to pay £54 to book hold luggage for 3 nights
Sponsored Links
Old 27-11-2013, 22:36

There is an understanding within the airline industry that where a passenger needs to carry essential medical equipment with them, an extra item of hand luggage may be carried in addition to the allowance.

Whilst it could be argued that having access to a CPAP Unit is non-essential during the flight, I suspect that in practice, none of the cabin crew would even question it. You must carry the equipment with you, as for it to go in the hold risks it being damaged or lost.

I am guessing that you have a letter from your GP to explain why it is required already?

Below is Jet 2's policy;

If I need to carry extra baggage due to my medical condition are you able to increase my personal baggage allowance?

We will carry up to two pieces of mobility equipment which are essential for your journey, without charge. In addition, we will consider all requests to carry medical equipment without charge on a case by case basis, taking into account your individual needs. Carriage of any non-essential mobility or medical equipment, in excess of the standard baggage allowance, will be subject to the standard excess baggage rate per kilo.
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 27-11-2013, 23:06

Thanks for that information lovemallorca. I couldn't find anything actually stating this. Did you get this on Jet2's website? Hubby doesn't have a letter as we have just taken it as hand luggage before (with cases in the hold) but it wouldn't be a problem for him to get a letter. I just feel if he uses his hand luggage allowance for the unit, he would be travelling with very little else I'm sure though, he would say that there wouldn't be a problem as I take too much anyway
Old 27-11-2013, 23:46

geezo rda thats poor form, if was me/us i'd turn up with the said equipment wait to get refused if that was indeed the case going on the flight with medical gear, go to the press and wait for the compo to roll in
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 28-11-2013, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollabbi View Post
Thanks for that information lovemallorca. I couldn't find anything actually stating this. Did you get this on Jet2's website? Hubby doesn't have a letter as we have just taken it as hand luggage before (with cases in the hold) but it wouldn't be a problem for him to get a letter. I just feel if he uses his hand luggage allowance for the unit, he would be travelling with very little else I'm sure though, he would say that there wouldn't be a problem as I take too much anyway
The details are from Jet2's website. Just let me know if you would like me to send the link to the page.

You should get a letter from your GP, and although the surgery may make a charge for this, it can be used for future travel.

The medical equipment should all be in one bag, ideally proportionate to what you are carrying and not spread through your luggage.

The only occasion where you may be questioned about an additional bag will be at the gate. You should have the letter available at that point, but if you say that it is medical bag, very few airline staff would choose to check further.
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 28-11-2013, 12:38

I have cochlear implants , and often fly with Jet2 . I always carry my equipment with me extra to hand luggage allowance in a travel pack which contains chargers batteries etc , there's no way this is ever going in the hold . Jet 2 have never questioned this policy . FDA regs allow personal essenial medical equipment on board all aircraft .
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 28-11-2013, 12:52
Founder

The link to the Jet2 Policy on carrying Medical Equipment is here:

Medical and Special Assistance - just look for "Due to my medical condition, I need to carry extra baggage. Can you increase my personal baggage allowance in these circumstances?"
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 28-11-2013, 17:45

Thanks for all your replies folks. Jet2 have now had a change of policy since I quoted from their website They have now told me that they will agree to hubby having 2 lots of hand luggage and have provided me with a letter to that effect. I will however get one from the doctor as well....just in case. This is only an issue as we will not have any hold luggage this time
Sparky and Lorenzo like this.