Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47
Under Moderation

Default Help needed with directions to Puerto Soller

Hi,

Planning to drive from PP to Puerto Soller next week, can anyone help with directions as I'm atotal novice, and more importantly does the Journey involve any winding mountain roads, my wife is not a big fan of heights and she constantly reminds me of that whenever we embark on and throughout such journeys ( may also need to know where I can buy a good set of ear-plugs ).

Apprciate your assistance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42

1. If you're going to drive, get a decent map.
2. If you don't want winding mountain roads go to Palma and then get the train & tram!
3. Or, you go by road and send your wife by public transport!
4. You could always try CSV instead.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00

Hi there,
If you do decide to take your wife the very best way to get to Pto Soller and save your marriage is to drive on the motorway towards Palma until the BUNYOLA turn off (near Santa Maria). Continue straight along this lovely country lane, bordered by almond trees, drive through village of Bunyola (pass train station which is another option to take 1912 moutain railway train to Soller) and head to the TUNNEL. This is a toll tunnel so have to pay. This magic tunnel brings you out on the outskirts of Soller having missed out almost all of the mountain roads. You then follow down to Soller. I love Soller town more than the Port so it may be fun to park here, have a look around, sit in the square enjoying tapas and orange ice cream and then take the tram down to the Port. ... failing that follow signs to Port and there is a large car park on the outskirts of the resort. Only taxis and trams can run along the sea front. Have a great day.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05

Default Directions to Puerto Soller from PP

Yes, it would probably be best if you take the motorway back down to Palma and then go on the ring road around the city (Via Cintura) and take the exit for Soller.
That road is quite easy to negotiate and the Soller road will take you through a long tunnel. There is a charge for the tunnel (although I can't recall how much) and then it's an easy road down to Soller.
As Pescador says, it's well worthwhile taking the tram then down to Puerto Soller as it's a really picturesque journey, meandering through lots of people's orchards etc. I hope you enjoy your trip!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:28

The direct route from Pollensa, over the mountains and past the reservoir, is a lovely drive and not too windy at all (although, of course, it's a bit windy). We usually make a point of taking a picnic up there at least once when we visit Pollensa - nice picnic area at the Soller end of the reservoir and another good, peaceful, one in the mountains a few miles further on towards Sa Calobra.

If you or Mrs Skinflint doesn't fancy that, then I'd go along with pescador's suggestion to drive to Palma and get the train (even get the train from Inca to Palma). It's exceptionally pretty once you get into the mountains - much more a tourist affair than when I first started to visit Soller 30+ years back - then it was very much a locals' route to get to Palma for work and shopping.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:54

Why don't you look out for the "Island Tour" which I believe incorporates a coach to Palma, Train to Soller, Tram to Port de Soller, boat to Sa Colabra and Coach back!!! I will try and find a link.

Get it over with so you can enjoy PP for the rest of your stay!!

Quote from "No Frills"

Majorca tour: ISLAND TOUR
Mallorca / Majorca offers a most varied landscape; the dramatic cliffs of the Serra de Tramuntana mountain range hug the coastline of the North and North West. Picturesque Medieval villages nestle amongst breathtaking countryside and rugged mountains. You can discover the hidden secrets with our guide who will lead you to the Pareis stream and La Calobra: a hidden gem on the west coast.

We will take you by boat to discover some of the best views in the coast of Majorca, which can’t be seen from land and you will take the original 1912 wooden carriage train (known as the Orange blossom train) through the citrus and olive groves from Soller to Palma. The Soller train ride today is much like it was 100 years ago. You will ride in vintage railcars with mahogany panels & brass fittings. The ride is not fast but the sights are spectacular.

This is a great value-for-money day out; all transport costs are included in our price (coach, train, boat, tram and insurance).

Save money and book online! Prices with a 5% adult discount.

Prices in resort are 57€ adults and 15€ children.
Days: Sun. Wed.
Availiable: from 25-04-2011 to 30-10-2011

My FlickR Photos

Last edited by El Gordo; 06-08-2011 at 13:02. Reason: added more info.
Old 06-08-2011, 13:28
Founder

If you decide to take the train/tram, we have the information here Excursions & Water parks in Majorca Mallorca although our suggestion does include the bus taking the winding road route but it is lovely. You'll also find details & links to other excursions including No Frills.
Old 06-08-2011, 13:28

I agree with JMD, thats the way we go, just right if you are nervous of the winding roads, lovely drive as well through the fields, Toll was 4.60 euros if I remember, small price to pay to save your marriage, give it a try the town and port are well worth the visit

On island time!!
Old 06-08-2011, 23:45

Hi Skinflint,
The route to Soller is very easy to drive. Just take it easily and enjoy the glorios scenery.The road has been resurfaced fairly recently. This has made the drive more comfortable. Allow about an hour and a half for the journey if you are going to stop and gawp often!

PeRu
Old 07-08-2011, 17:31

Skinflint, like your wife, I'm a very nervous passenger on windy roads through mountains - but not if I'm on a bus! We did this trip by publich transport a couple of years ago - 9 am bus to Palma, little train to Soller, lunch in Soller and then train down to Puerto Soller in time for the only bus back to PP - at 3.15 pm.

It was lovely - but we didn't have nearly enough time. If we were doing it again, we'd follow WhalyWanderer's advice and do it the other way round. Like others, we like Soller itself better than Puerto Soller. It's a great place just to wander or sit and watch the world go by. The train station itself is wonderfully old=fashioned, with a marvellous little museum with Miro paintings and ceramics.

So, we'd get the 10 am bus from PP, getting to Soller about noon; have lunch there and just wander around. The train to Palma through the mountains leaves about 6.30 pm (check on this website for this year's times) and then you could get the bus back to PP. Or you could take the tram from Soller to Puerto Soller and get a bus back to Palma from there - I think they leave a bit later. Alternatively, you could go straight to Puerto Soller from PP and have lunch there and a wander around, then take the tram up to Soller fr the 18.30 train back to Palma.

You see a fantastic amount of the island in one day on this trip - and if you don't drive, you can both relax and enjoy the scenery.

If you do a search on the forum for "itinerary for trip to soller" you'll find some earlier posts that might give you some more ideas. See http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...ip-soller.html

Whatever way you go, have a lovely time.

Last edited by pollensa; 07-08-2011 at 17:43. Reason: link added