Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-10-2006, 01:36

Default SON BRULL - RESTAURANT AND SPA

I have been in two minds about doing this posting, but a recent e mail has made up my mind for me.

Over our two week holiday, in order to stop ourselves from working totally on the appartment, we decided to book in for a weekend at a good hotel. I decided to book for the Thursday and Friday night at Son Brull after doing research AND double checking at the hotel that the Jazz night was on still on Fridays, and safe in the knowledge that I could be on the receiving end of a beauty treatment for a change,AND that the restaurant had a good reputation.

Unfortunately the hotel let us down in a number of ways. This is a 5 star hotel with world wide recognition - but I have trouble recommending it.

The plus points - and to give it its due, they are big plus points - are the indesputable facts that the positioning and views are amazing; the building itself is very appealling and the staff are extremely polite.

However, when we were arrived we immediately checked that our booking for the Friday night was still ok - obviously not expecting it not to be - only to be told that it hadnt been put in the book, but that wasnt a problem as there was still places available. We then checked the time of the Jazz evening, only to be told that the Jazz was no longer on! On complaining that this was a main reason for booking, nothing was said. We later found out that some guests actually cancelled their booking on arrival because of this.

We had a lovely corner room with far reaching views. Two bulbs were blown, not a big deal I know, but for a hotel of this quality and cost, I would have expected better checks.

There was not an option to have windows open at night to let fresh air in, as the flood lights up the side of the building are left on all night. I attempted to jar open a window and shutter and block out the light with a "curtain", unfortunately it was very windy that night and the banging from the shutter was a little (!) annoying. On commenting on this we were told that we had a/c!!!??? Room service got breakfast order totally wrong - I even ended up with baby food instead of yougurt (!) and the post jacuzzi bath didnt work!!

The 365 restaurant was dismal! Im sorry, but it is. I understand the Minimalistic look, but there is a line between that and The Totally Boring look! The most interesting thing to look at was the fire extinguisher!! Im afraid we werent even impressed with the food - it was good - but very small portions - minimalist in fact! - and not amazing for such a well publisised restaurant.

We then attempted to book in a couple of treatments having been told when we booked the hotel that this would not be a problem. They could only fit in One treatment time to suit for the whole 3 days! I took it to have a facial which I had been longing for. I suppose being in the business makes me a little more aware of what is professional and what is just a treatment. This was just a basic treatment which none of the professional add ons which you would expect from a spa hotel, and not even a good basic treatment. I wont even tell you the price! Again we did complain, and they did refund the money - but that seriously is not the point - I NEEDED a professional facial! (Very hard stamping of foot here!)

Although we had not intended to move from the hotel for these 3 days we decided to have our evening meal at the sister hotel at CSV. What a difference! The hotel decor is not as modern - but very stylish. The food was wonderful with a bottle of Can Vidalet to make it perfect!
We actually spoke to the owner of the two restaurants there and complimented him on his CSV hotel.

We filled in the obligitory comments form and tried to talk to a manager or owner before we left Son Brull. The owner - who is the son of the main owner - was away but we managed to talk to him by phone a couple of days later. That shows how upset we were! After listening to our complaints he said he would send us an e mail giving us a free meal and overnight stay at the CSV hotel. We accepted this with grace, thanked him for listening to us and taking on board our comments and left.

Yesterday we received an e mail which ONLY says we can have a meal at the restaurant, and they now cant see why we were not happy with the beauty treatment - as I didnt complain to the therapist at the time!!!!!!!! A workman is only as good as his tools, and I believe in going to the boss not the sidekick to complain!!

When we tried to phone to talk to him they said he was not in until Monday. When we tried again today, we experienced the age old brush off of being asked our name then being kept on hold, then being told he wasnt in. Sorry, not born yesterday!

This was a disappointing visit, but it could have been smoothed over if the word of the owner had been kept.

Update: In all fairness I have to report that Son Brull have now got back to us and improved on their first e-mail offer.
I have calmed down and put all my toys back in the pram!!:\
Sponsored Links