Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Entertainment in Pollensa & Majorca

Entertainment in Pollensa & Majorca Nights out, discos, music bars, cinema, theatre ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 04:40

Default COCONUTS

We were very sad that Coconuts closed last year. For those who didn't know it it was a cocktail bar next door to Tribeca run by a charming German guy called Hans..Linzzzz you may well know it as Miguels brother Manolo was the head barman, and I think Miguel himself worked there when it first opened about 10 years ago.

It was always brilliant to go there late as it was more 'grown up' than Chivas and we could meet up with our kids for a night cap..or 2 ...or 3...or :\ It was very popular with the locals and after work many would make an appearance and stay long into the night. Hans was a great host and was there most nights, along with his wife, playing his vast music collection...after 10 years he decided to close down so they could have a rest!

After El Casinet closed and now Coconuts there is certainly a niche for another bar like them..not quite a night club/disco but somewhere if you fancy something a bit more lively. I'm still to be won over by O'Hara's despite our Mallorquin friends telling us it's the 'in' place! I noticed they had bouncers on the door a few weeks ago..'If you names not down your not coming in!!' Surely not :eek

Debs
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2005, 07:26
Linzzzz

Hmm, never went to Coconuts myself Debz. But I'd been gone a long time, so maybe it opened & closed in my absence. And I also don't know Manolo (but I think Manolo is now at Two Keys, from what Miguel told me). You're right though, PP is lacking a a bar like this. O'Hara's is fairly enjoyable - nice mix of ages & different nationalities when I was there, but not a place I'd like to go to every night. Not sure why they need a bouncer as I never saw any trouble the nights I was there.

Have you not been to Two Keys? I quite liked it in there, although the problem with that place is it doesn't get going until the early hours, and it was a bit young.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:46

HI Linzzzz

Have been to TUKY'S once and yes Manolo is working there now. Could be a really nice bar but was quiet the night we went and is so big you would need a lot of people to make it look busy!

Think the bouncers were at O'Hara's to keep the English out..well maybe just vetting!! We were in R Bar opposite and sat and watched the bouncers meeting and greeting locals..fairly bizzarre :\
Old 03-11-2005, 07:50
Linzzzz

Tukys - is that how it's spelt? Huh, I never knew - or maybe I just never noticed. I wasn't drunk, honest

What it really needs is another Aniaras, right? (sigh - those were the days .....)
Old 03-11-2005, 07:53

Indeed Linzzzz!

Dancing on the bar ...those were the days
Old 03-11-2005, 07:55

Only knew it was spelt TUKY'S cos i've they gave me a lighter!
Old 04-11-2005, 21:56
ChrisLox

Coconuts was fantastic!
Me and my missus spent some great nights there. We got chatting to Hans one night over some wicked coctails about his dance mixes. He made me up an exclusive mix on CD there and then and gave it to us at the end of the night. I still play it to this day!!! That place will be missed.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:26
robjay

We were out just over two weeks ago and we noticed that they were knocking down the building that used to be Coconuts ( it was next to the Ivy garden?).
It sounded a great place which we could have seen it.

Rob
Old 05-11-2005, 03:55

HI Chris!

We've more than likely been in Coconuts at the same time..great place and we really missed it this year. It had a great party atmosphere and as you said the music was brilliant, a mix of old and new, and Hans really enjoyed himself.

Rob
Yes it was next to the Ivy Garden. You and Caroline certainly missed out on some fun evenings. We would normally go a couple of times a week (any more than that and you would need another holiday to recover !) It had a great mix of tourists and locals and you were guaranteed to have a BIG hangover in the morning..one of those when you keep saying 'Oh dear' over and over again

Debs
Old 06-11-2005, 21:26
pops

yes Coconuts was well and truely knocked down on thursday.

There's a bar that looks really nice right bY Naciente. Can't quite remember the name, think it begins with a B.Some of the staff members from mullys (mulligans) are gonna work there over the winter as Mullys is closing till March.

O'Haras is ok. We have a wide circle of friends, locals and ex pats who drink there regulary.
Old 07-11-2005, 18:39
robjay

I enjoy wandering around all the wee back streets exploring. I often see a bar and think Mmmm that looks a nice place I must try a drink in there some time. Coconuts was one of those places but sad to say we didn't get a second chance to try it out.
Ah well such is life.

Rob
Old 08-11-2005, 00:42

Hi Pops

The bar you are thinking of is called La Batucada, generous with the mixers and nice terrace out the back in the summer but seats are really uncomfortable if you are there for a while!!

Q
Old 09-11-2005, 22:37

Thats it.. La Batucada! I couldn't remember the name. Went in there one name for a night cap and ordered 4 La Mumba's..not all for me..had the girls with us! Firstly the girl behind the bar didn't know what a la Mumba was :\ and her colleague explained and made them for her. We stood there for a good 10 minutes while she created the most elaborate La Mumbas we had ever seen..piled high with whipped cream and then charged us 7 euros each for them :eek I personally don't like cream or naff umbrellas so was not impressed!

The bar area is very atmospheric and trendy but as the weather was hot we sat on the terrace at the back.This was ok but I thought a bit 'toy town'..false shutters on windows and astro turf on the floor of all things!! It didn't help that the day before there had been terrific storms so when you walked on it it squelched! I also agree Q the chairs weren't built for comfort so you weren't tempted to stay for long.

Can't help thinking if they carry on making the drinks as slowly as they did and charge those sort of prices the place is not going to be popular or last. I somehow don't think it is going to be a contender to replace Coconuts.

Debs
Old 10-11-2005, 19:24
pops

Quelys
Thanks for that, that was the bar I was thinking of.
Funny I thought it was me who couldn't remember the name. lol,Hopefully, the staff from Mullys will improve it Debz.
I'll look forward to a drink there at New Year.

Pops
Old 11-12-2005, 12:20
lacordura

Pops,

you mean "La Batucada".
Nice place, indeed.

Kind regards
lacordura