Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45
Founder

We have used Insurance For Car Hire as they seem to be the most well known but have never needed to claim so far.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
A quick heads up for anyone taking advantage of separate carhire excess insurance, as opposed to taking the rental companies own excess offering. When you collect the car take care to check for ANY pre-existing damage to the car. Mark this up on the rental agreement and have the rep counter sign.
Just got stuffed for 170 euros by Record for a missing indicater repeater light on the wing mirror. It would appear that if you don't have their excess insurance your car will be inspected when it returns and any damage charged for.
I'm afraid my 'Insurance 4 Carhire' policy is about to be tested
Other than a prompt acknowledgement of reciept of my claim, no sign of a payout yet. Hopefully will hear something before the creditcard bill becomes due in a week or two.
I notice from previous posts plenty of people report taking out this insurance, but no one other myself seems to have made a claim. The measure of the quality of insurance is what happens if you need to claim. We shall see!
Old 12-10-2011, 21:40

Hello Clinkham

My experience of "Insurance 4 Carhire" has been very positive. Earlier this year I sustained two tyre punctures simultaneously on a hire care (actually from Record) which cost me 48 euros for repair at a garage in the Port. On returning to the UK I forwarded the garage invoice to the insurance firm and they paid the full amount within two weeks. I agree with you about checking the vehicle before leaving the airport - but I find this is almost impossible to do satisfactorily within the multi-storey arena at Palma in which most vehicles are located due to the inadequate lighting.

Hope your claim is processed speedily.
Old 13-10-2011, 02:00

Bails - thanks for your reassuring comments.
Old 13-10-2011, 08:52

Hi

I always take photos of anything on the car Im not happy about when we collect it on my phone as the date and time are on there
We always do try and check it carefully as well Have known people get bills for damage they are sure they havent done !
Old 18-10-2011, 17:59

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
Other than a prompt acknowledgement of reciept of my claim, no sign of a payout yet. Hopefully will hear something before the creditcard bill becomes due in a week or two.
I notice from previous posts plenty of people report taking out this insurance, but no one other myself seems to have made a claim. The measure of the quality of insurance is what happens if you need to claim. We shall see!
Oh! Ye of little faith! Just checked the bank balance and found that Insurance4carhire have paid out on my claim. Very prompt and hassle free.
Very impressive and grateful particularly as the payout has gone straight into the credit card account a week before the payment is due.

@ copper: agree,photos are a good idea. They will reduce the possibility of hassle at the end rental for the renter and also protect Insurance4carhire from bogus claims from the carhire firm ie claiming for old damage from previous rentals.
Old 15-06-2014, 12:04

Default excess cover with 'negligance'?

Hi, I was just about to book excess cover with Hipercar - and then they said - this covers all but 'negligence' - I don't intend to be so! but don't know what this means ... does other car excess companies cover this - I really don't want to dive into too much small print - or the holiday becomes work! Any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensa View Post
Several people on this forum have commented on the additional insurance that is 'offered' when you arrive to collect your car. Even though the quoted price gives you some cover you don't appear to be covered for loss of keys, tyres etc. & so you are liable to an excess if you don't take it. This insurance is often several euros a day depending on the company.

A few members have already reported that you can buy your own 'Car Hire Excess Policy' for £49 per year whereby the Car Hire company charges you & you claim back against this policy.

If you travel & hire a car several times a year, an annual policy must be worth it.

We now have more information on our main web site, so do have a look at Insurance4CarHire
Old 15-06-2014, 21:30

If you look back through this thread, you will see that insurance4carhire has been the subject of very positive reviews.

Whilst I think the cost has risen slightly, the cover is for 12 months. Good value if you are renting more than once in the year.

The policy covers most of the eventualities that the rental companies want to charge extra for.

Click through from this site and you can sign up online and get near instant cover.

Note that if you have any damage not covered by the included car rental insurance, the cost will be charged to your credit card. You then make a claim against insurance4carhire, supplying details (possibly photos) invoices and reciepts etc.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, my claim was paid before the arrival of the monthly credit card bill.

Very reassuring policy to have with your holiday paperwork.
Old 08-09-2014, 17:38

"From today's MDB"
There have been signs that new tourism legislation will cover the operations of car hire companies in the Balearics for the first time. It cannot come quickly enough. Complaints about “rip-off” practices have been one of the most frequent subjects of Letter to the Editor in the Bulletin. Too often, however, they are written in general terms and a “more in sorrow than anger” spirit.
Not so a letter from Alister Bottomley of Pollensa this week: “My daughter was married here in the north of the island and 104 people came from the UK to celebrate the event. 28 people rented cars and all of them were under the illusion that they had already arranged a totally comprehensive insurance only to be confronted with the scare tactics surrounding extras which were not covered.
The extra amounts were between 200 and 700 euros depending upon class of car and days of hire and left everyone with a feeling they had been ripped-off completely. I enclose a typical sheet which lists all the uncovered items such as clutch, engine, tow truck, lost rental days while the vehicle is being repaired amongst many others. This is an absolutely disgraceful practice and is doing our island’s reputation irreparable harm and must be stopped.”

Interesting letter from Mr A Bottomley.
If new legislation does go through, it can't be too quick for visitors to PP. With the distance from Palma and the cost of taxis (though not too unreasonable) many, many of us rent cars for the duration of our holidays or even for a few days whilst we are in PP and most will have been 'stung' for 'extra' insurance, particularly in the last few years.
Old 08-09-2014, 20:11

This really is a huge problem throughout Spain,last year my Uncle bought annual Insurance4carhire before coming out & despite showing documentation showing the cover the car hire company refused to accept it & would not let him take a car out until he forked out a further 270 euros for their insurance.
This apparently is being tried all the time on customers ,the excuse given is it is not sufficient coverage.
Before anyone asks, it wasn't Record for once.
Old 08-09-2014, 21:57

Don't want to appear to be an apologist for the car hire industry...but.... I must mention the excellent service from Hiper-rentacar in the Port last week.
No mention of the extra insurance on collection - the price quoted via the internet booking was what I paid. There was a detailed inspection of the car at the start of the rental. A paper creditcard slip for the value for a tank of petrol was taken at the start of the rental and was torn up at the end when I returned the car with a full tank.

Transit to and from the airport via resorthopper or similar, followed by 'in resort' car rental from Hiper is the stress free way to do it.

I was covered by insurance4carhire (via PP.com )in case of any non-insured excesses.
pescador2009 likes this.
Old 25-03-2015, 21:05

Default Car hire from airport

Just collected hire car from Record. Beware all you over 70's! Even though we have annual extra insurance with Insurance for car hire, we were told at the Record desk that because we were over 70 we had to take their excess insurance at around 5 euros per day otherwise we could not have the car. With a queue behind us we reluctantly had to play up. Has anyone else had this experience? Will be following it up when we get home
Old 25-03-2015, 22:58

It does say that in the terms and conditions about aged over 70.

5 euros per day looks a reasonable price as on the website it says 140 Euros for 7-10 days hire for 'comfort plus waiver'
Old 26-03-2015, 20:23

Default Excess insurance

Mark, sorry I made a mistake. Extra insurance was 77 euros for 10 days so over 7 euros per day.

Last edited by Millipet; 26-03-2015 at 20:25. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 26-03-2015, 20:24

[QUOTE=Millipet;101657]Mark, sorry

I made a mistake. Extra insurance was 77 euros for 10 days so over 7 euros per day.