Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/)
-   -   Cars banned from Formentor lighthouse. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/13899-cars-banned-formentor-lighthouse.html)

Sparky 06-06-2018 09:41

Cars banned from Formentor lighthouse.

This from the DDM with Google translation :-

Quote:

Pollença prohibits access by car to the Formentor lighthouse from 9.30 am to 7 pm
The "pilot test" will be carried out between July and August.

Access to the Formentor lighthouse will be limited during this summer.

Access to the Formentor lighthouse will be limited during this summer. apb
This summer will be limited access by car to the Formentor lighthouse from 9.30-10 to 19 hours. This was announced yesterday by the mayor of Pollença , Miquel Àngel March, after having a meeting with the Government , the Consell de Mallorca , the Road Consortium and Autoritat Portuària de Balears.
To end the endless queues of vehicles that form to access the lighthouse of Formentor , Pollença has launched a "pilot test" that prohibits the access of cars during July and August and restricts the passage from 9.30-10 in the morning until 7:00 p.m. The objective of the competent administrations is to put an end to the "overcrowding and insecurity" that is created in this area during the summer months.

According to March, the limitations will only apply between the beach and the Formentor lighthouse. In this way, all those citizens and tourists who want to access this area should use the shuttle bus that the Government has launched. Only bicycles and residents in the areas of Cala Murta and Cala Figuera will have a special authorization to pass through this section.

Read the report here :- https://www.diariodemallorca.es/part...o/1319789.html

kcdc230 08-06-2018 11:56

My wife spotted this on a news site the other day as well.

We always try to squeeze a visit to the lighthouse in to our holidays in PP - the drive along the approach roads is part of the 'fun' of the visit.

It's perfectly understandable that they're doing this as parking is always at an absolute premium in the summer months.

However, my first thought was 'I don't think I would want to do that journey as a passenger in a bus'!

Equally, I'm not 100% sure that I would want to do it after 7pm when the light is sure to be fading on the return trip. But I guess that all adds to the fun of a trip to PP!

Come August, I will let you know what we ended up doing :o

pollensafan 08-06-2018 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcdc230 (Post 123001)
My wife spotted this on a news site the other day as well.

However, my first thought was 'I don't think I would want to do that journey as a passenger in a bus'!
Come August, I will let you know what we ended up doing :o

Try the bus. You might find it's just the ticket. As long as you conduct yourself in an orderly manner. :D

I know, Groan, but it's the best I can do.:rolleyes:

kcdc230 08-06-2018 21:27

Oh come on... You're driving me to distraction now...

pollensafan 09-06-2018 10:21

And finally, what would an Egyptian bus conductor say to his passengers,,,,,,,,,, Fez Please.

Oh dear Oh dear:eek:

joey36 09-06-2018 22:57

We often take the boat to get to Formentor beach and get the bus back or the other way round depending on timings.The bus driver has a very difficult job both ways but always makes it a very enjoyable trip but sometimes a trifle scary.

Sparky 06-07-2018 14:58

Posted on FB by the Ajuntament.

Quote:

The shuttle of the peninsula of formentor enters into operation Monday.

Next Monday, 9 July will be put into operation the shuttle that will unite the port of pollença with the peninsula of formentor, at the same time that fall into force the restrictions of movement agreed.

So, from Monday, access in motor vehicles on the peninsula of formentor is restricted between the beach and the lighthouse from 10.00 h until 19.00 h. So that visitors can access the main points of interest in this natural area, the government of the balearic islands puts in operation a shuttle bus service, which will come out of the central shutdown of the port of pollença.

The new service connects the port of pollença with the peninsula of formentor with exits from the central shutdown and also from the beach of formentor, point from which it starts the traffic restriction. We must remember that the new central shutdown of the port of pollença there vial of service with free parking for vehicles.

The service of the shuttle from the shutdown of the port of pollença starts at 9.45 and will have the following schedules of exit to the lighthouse: 9.45; 10.00; 10.30; 11.30,; 13.30; 15.30; 16.00; 16.30 and 17.00 hours.

From the beach of formentor, last point where you can get with car, there will be bus to the lighthouse at the following schedules: 10.15; 10.30; 11.00; 11.30; 12.00; 12.30 ; 13.00; 14.00; 15.00; 16.00; 16.30; 17.30; 18.00 and 18.30.

The frequencies back from the lighthouse are the following: the first, at 11.00 in the morning and then every half hour until 15.30. Then the frequencies are from 16.30, also every half hour until The 19.00. All these frequencies have arrival at the beach shutdown. Until the port of pollença arrive the expeditions that come out of the far at 11.00; 12.30; 14.20; 16.30; 18.00; 19.20 hours.

The shuttle has stops at the mirador de es colomer, beach of formentor, Cala Myrtle / cala figuera and the lighthouse.

The new service is offered with the current line 353 which starts the tour in the port of pollença. The Price of the simple ticket is 1,55 euros and the usual users of public transport tib can use the intermodal card and enjoy the discounts that this offers, as well as the t20 fertilizers and T40. The shuttle will work this season until 31 August.

Shuttle bus offer a sustainable alternative to access natural spaces of interest from Mallorca which currently live a strong pressure of vehicles. In this way, the government of the balearic islands encourages the proper conservation of our natural spaces at the time of making accessible areas of attractive tourist to all residents and visitors of the island.

The access system in formentor has involved the coordination between the government of the Balearic Islands (through the transport consortium of MALLORCA CTM), Council of Mallorca, city of pollença, DG TRAFFICKING CIVIL GUARD AND PORT AUTHORITY (Holder of the lighthouse of Formentor).

Next Monday, representatives of all institutions involved, will make a trip with the shuttle and baring the process that has been followed by launching the shuttle and the restriction of movement, its motivation, characteristics of the service, conditions and exceptions to The limitations and control.

mike_dublin 01-08-2018 07:03

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...ighthouse.html

Quote:

A number of private cars were driven to the lighthouse at Formentor on Monday, ignoring the fact that since 9 July there has been a ban on all vehicles apart from authorised ones (and bicycles) going any further than the beach on the promontory. The volume of traffic was such that the shuttle bus service from Puerto Pollensa had to be suspended on safety grounds.

The total number of cars was in fact only around seventy, according to one source, and they had been driven to the lighthouse after the Guardia Civil's Trafico division (the traffic police) ordered the removal of the barrier on the road that Pollensa town hall had installed. Trafico told the person who mans the barrier and informs drivers that there was no legal cover to stop private cars, despite there being signs warning about the restriction. Only Guardia Civil officers can do this.

It would appear that there were no issues yesterday, the communication problem seemingly having been resolved. A hastily convened meeting between the town hall and the Council of Majorca agreed to reinforce the advisory notices on the bypass road in Puerto Pollensa which leads to Formentor.

Rockape 01-08-2018 09:43

I did two trips to the lighthouse in July, one on my mountain bike, which was a good work out, but so lovely and peaceful with no cars. Apart from through the valley/trees section that was deafening with the sound of the cicadas in the trees. Incredible noise!

We drove down one evening at 7.30pm and it was very quiet, but came up behind the worst driver I've EVER seen. You had to see it to believe it, he was driving down the middle of the road at 20k or 10k around the bends and causing carnage with cars coming the other way. In the end I stopped at a viewpoint for 10mins to avoid the stress. :cool:

mike_dublin 07-08-2018 07:16

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...over-half.html

Quote:

Since the restriction on traffic going to the lighthouse in Formentor was introduced on 9 July, there has been more than a 50% decrease in traffic movement.

The Council of Majorca, responsible for main roads, calculates that there are at least a thousand fewer vehicles per day than there were at the same time last year. ...

By traffic movements, the Council means going to and from the lighthouse. The number of actual vehicles was therefore half the figure. Of these, five per cent were bikes, eleven per cent were heavy vehicles and 84% were light vehicles.

The traffic restriction this summer is a pilot project. The restriction will be lifted on 1 September, but once the Council of Majorca and other authorities have had a chance to analyse the pilot project, it could be that the restriction will be for a longer period next year. ...

... see full article on the MDB website

mike_dublin 11-12-2018 11:56

Formentor restrictions extended for 2019

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...next-year.html

Quote:

Restrictions on traffic going to the lighthouse in Formentor will be extended by four weeks next summer. The Balearic government, Council of Majorca, Pollensa town hall and traffic directorate have come to an agreement for the restrictions to start on 15 June and last until 15 September. This year, they applied to July and August only.

The hours will remain the same - 10am to 7pm - and the restrictions will be between the beach and the lighthouse, as was the case this summer. ..

Traffic usage was cut by almost 80% in July and August. Vehicles that were allowed to go past the beach and on to the lighthouse included those for deliveries and the shuttle bus from Puerto Pollensa, which was used by some 34,000 passengers. Bicycles are not subject to restriction

Deanscroft 22-12-2018 08:26

Formentor car park

A group of us are thinking of going out to Formentor beach for a picnic after Christmas. As we will be in three cars we would like to know if there is still a charge for the car park. I understand that in the summer it was as much as 15€ a car.

Sparky 20-02-2019 11:51

The restrictions for 2019 have been confirmed, this from the MDB :-

Quote:

Formentor summer road restrictions confirmed
2019-02-19 17:35:00 Pollensa By Majorca Daily Bulletin reporter

The shuttle bus from Puerto Pollensa will obviously be one of the vehicles that can use the road without restriction.

The road between the beach at Formentor and the lighthouse will be closed this summer from 15 June to 15 September between the hours of 10am and 7pm. Access will be limited to public transport, authorised vehicles (residents, workers at the lighthouse, emergency, security forces, for people with reduced mobility) and cyclists.

The full story can be read here :- https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...confirmed.html

mike_dublin 18-06-2019 07:22

https://www.ultimahora.es/sucesos/ul...ista-inca.html

Quote:

Saturday saw the introduction of the restriction of vehicles on the road between Formentor beach and the lighthouse. Some drivers were either unaware of the restriction or ignored it as they were on the road after ten o'clock, which is when the restriction starts. Vehicles went to the lighthouse, and when some twenty or so were returning, they were confronted by the shuttle bus from Puerto Pollensa. There was some resultant difficulty in manoeuvring on the tight and twisting bends.

On Saturday, a Council of Majorca vehicle was used to check on what was happening and a Guardia Civil patrol made a brief appearance from around ten o'clock. On Sunday, the employee who is there to inform drivers was the only presence. Fewer fines than on Saturday were raised; the camera and video system near the beach records unauthorised access.

Workers at the lighthouse cafe, who are authorised to use the cafe, say that they welcome the restriction. Takings may be down, but they are able to offer a better quality of service because of the reduced numbers.

see full article on the MDB website

mike_dublin 27-06-2019 07:06

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...ntor-road.html

Quote:

Restrictions on traffic as far as the lighthouse in Formentor have been in place for more than a week, but these would appear to have added to traffic congestion going to the beach, which is where the restriction starts. There are lengthy tailbacks along the road from Puerto Pollensa.

One of the main problems is the lack of public car parking for the beach and therefore the ability to absorb the number of vehicles. The only car park is private. When it's full, cars have nowhere to go. The result is queuing in order to wait for spaces, and trapped in the queues can be the shuttle bus. Turning round and going back to Puerto Pollensa is difficult because of the narrowness of the road.

When the restrictions were introduced last year, there were warnings about the knock-on effect. It was argued that measures should apply from Puerto Pollensa.

The idea is to close the road to traffic from Puerto Pollensa at certain times and especially when the car park is full.

see full article on the MDB website