Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By clinkham
  • 1 Post By Teflon
  • 2 Post By clinkham

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 21:35

Default Annual car hire insurance policies.....

Hi all.
After beaching it for the last 4 years we are going to hire a car in June. I have read some posts on here about this annual policy from icarhireinsurance and was wondering how it works.
For example, if I hired a car online with whichever company, when I pick it up at the airport and they try to sell me the usual add ons, do I just whip out the policy and state that this covers all the required extras and that is the end, or is there more to it than that.
Cheer
Martin
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2017, 22:11

Default Icarhire

That's what I do when I go back to the uk.( living in France) The car hire companies warn you'll have to pay up front, if you don't take their policies, but the coverage is much superior with Icar, and it's so easy to do and so much cheaper than the average excess .
Old 12-04-2017, 08:02

You can also have a look at 'Worldwide Insure'. I always use them for my Hire car Excess Insurance. I have claimed twice and never had any trouble.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:19

I have always used ' insurance4carhire ' and have had no problems when picking up a hire car.
I had one claim** for a small amount. I paid the hire company the damage excess on returning the car and insurance4carhire paid out before the credit card bill arrived.
Very well satisfied with insurance4carhire. Plus they advertise on here under'car hire' so clicking the link may help keep the forum and website prospering!

**a claim is where you see if an insurance company is good or bad!
Rosie34 and copper like this.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:06

Totally agree with clinkham about 'insurance4carhire' we have been using them for years and they are excellent value for money and our few small claims have always been dealt with promptly with little fuss.

However you still have to have your credit card swiped for an ever increasing excess cover which also depends on the value of the hire car (€1,600 on a Nissan Juke from Goldcar last year). The money SHOULD not come off your card but they will use up to the full value of this if you damage the car.

As an aside I personally think that by using companies like 'insurance4carhire' it helps to keep the rogue car hire companies in check who try to 'claim' for spurious damage to hire cars as they are able to track trends on multiple claims from the various renters.
clinkham likes this.

Last edited by Teflon; 12-04-2017 at 09:09.
Old 14-04-2017, 18:49

Thank you so much for all your replies. So to confirm, do I just show them the policy and that is the end of it?
Old 14-04-2017, 20:24

Saga Travel Insurance are this year offering annual Car Hire Insurance for £35, includes same as others above. Have taken for this year and hope not required.
Old 14-04-2017, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinchip10 View Post
Thank you so much for all your replies. So to confirm, do I just show them the policy and that is the end of it?
Not necessary to produce the excess insurance, though if you have a copy handy just in case Just politely refuse the extra insurance.They may take a 'reserved amount' on your card to cover any damage on your return. If you have to pay for any damage just make sure you have all the paperwork/receipts etc and possibly photos and make a claim on your excess insurance when you to arrive back in Blighty. i.e. you pay for the damage via your credit card on vehicle return, then claim back from the excess insurance company for your costs when you get home.
I always use Hiperrent in the Port and have never had any problem or hard sell for additional insurance. Same with paying for a full tank of fuel at the start of the rental - they take a credit card imprint (on paper - remember the days before electronic terminals?) for the cost of the fuel and tear it up when you return with a full tank.
pansy potter and Roy&Myra like this.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:43

Excellent. Many thanks Clinkham.
Old 15-04-2017, 11:36

We always use Hiper who also have an office in the Port as a bonus in case of problems. One big advantage is that they are not new unmarked cars so they don't get too excited about the odd scratch. I always take photos of any damage though before driving away.