Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 15:21

Thanks Gordon- It's a right old mess isn't it? The woman at Goldcar wouldn't give us the keys unless we took out the extra insurance. She said "What are you going to do if you crash the car????!!!" I said "Well, I guess I will have bought myself a wrecked Spanish car then." But she didn't laugh - not a bit amused.

We've even considered driving down and with all the insurance extras it is nearly a viable option. LOL!
mallorcaboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 27-07-2015, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
.......The woman at Goldcar wouldn't give us the keys unless we took out the extra insurance............. LOL!
I have been a regular at Goldcar (not for much longer) for a number of years. They say to me "Do you want the insurance or block out the excess as you normally do??!!"

Be firm and say you will accept the excess..... but only if you are willing to accept the hassle of being charged and then claiming it back from your insurance.

Good luck

My FlickR Photos
Old 27-07-2015, 18:07

Quote:
Whilst discussing Sixt, does anyone know if they accept the annual excess insurance as advertised on here? Also if it is possible to guarantee an automatic? The website is not the world's easiest and we would really like an automatic.

We have used Goldcar before a number of times and always got an automatic but we are sick to death of the queue and the harassment over paying extra insurance. Why can't they charge you up front when you book, especially as they won't give you the car unless you take it out? No wonder the queue is so long. Two minutes to get the car and 10 to argue about insurance.

Re leaving the rental agreement on the dash ... isn't the dirty great Goldcar/Hertz/Sixt sticker enough of a clue that the car is rented thus saving the lovely Mallorcan constabulary the trouble of walking up and looking into the car? Just sayin ...

Sixt quote on-line with a zero excess already. They don't do that quote cheap, sting you on the insurance business.

I have returned one of their cars with a scratch on the bumper (picked-up whilst parked on the frontline at PP) and there was no charge.

The only thing that their standard insurance does not cover is tyres or glass. You can pay extra to cover it, but I take the risk that if I get a puncture, chances are that it is better to spend 15-20 Euros and get it fixed yourself.

I'm not sure that Excess Insurance covers that type of non-accident thing anyway.

A small auto is a CDMR Group, but they are few and far between, and can be expensive. If you can drive a manual it is much cheaper.

Last edited by lovemallorca; 27-07-2015 at 18:09.
Old 27-07-2015, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemallorca View Post
We were not asking for one. They just look at your licence and put the driver number onto their system.

I still have an old-style paper licence, and more commonly get questioned if it is an actual driving licence, rather than anyone asking for a code.

PS Alcanadakid, I have just discovered Alcanada this summer, having never ventured beyond the old power station before - What a beautiful district. The views across the water are stunning, and we love the bar next to the Terraza Restaurant.
Glad you like Alcanada, we have lived there 11 years and love it. The bar next to Terraza is good, but expensive. There is one on the beach opposite (and run by) La President hotel, which still has the views but is much cheaper. We never go to La Terraza anymore, it is over priced and over rated. You might also try the terrace at the golf club for views, drinks and food. (Sorry Sparky I know this is not the right place to post this, but it was a follow up question!)
El Gordo likes this.
Old 27-07-2015, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
Glad you like Alcanada, we have lived there 11 years and love it. The bar next to Terraza is good, but expensive. There is one on the beach opposite (and run by) La President hotel, which still has the views but is much cheaper. We never go to La Terraza anymore, it is over priced and over rated. You might also try the terrace at the golf club for views, drinks and food. (Sorry Sparky I know this is not the right place to post this, but it was a follow up question!)
It is a great location - The bar run by the President Hotel only had tables that were in full-sun when we have visited, and I must confess being rather fond of the Club Sandwich at the Terraza bar.

Will take a trip to the golf club once we are back in Mallorca in September (it is a little too hot for me currently).

Alcanada is a lovely spot - Made all the better by the fact that so many visitors are simply not aware of it.

(For those of you who are also in the dark, it is a lovely residential distract of Alcudia with amazing views of bay. It is located just beyond the former power station).

Sorry Sparky - Back on subject now!
alcanadakid likes this.
Old 27-07-2015, 19:51

Thanks for the advice. Both of us can drive manual cars, it's just that we are spoilt LOL! It just takes one more element of faffage out of driving abroad if you don't have to do gears and we have autos here in England. The prices are outrageous though. We are coming out in September/October for 3 weeks to play with our new flat and so we need some transport. Might have to go manual and be brave.
Old 28-07-2015, 13:04

Yorkie, you could always consider getting the Resorthoppa shuttle to Puerto Pollensa (and back) and then just hiring a car from one of the local companies like Hiper in the port for the amount of time you need the car for?
With Hiper (and maybe some other local car hire companies) you can also leave the hire car back at the airport depot.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Both of us can drive manual cars, it's just that we are spoilt LOL! It just takes one more element of faffage out of driving abroad if you don't have to do gears and we have autos here in England. The prices are outrageous though. We are coming out in September/October for 3 weeks to play with our new flat and so we need some transport. Might have to go manual and be brave.
Old 28-07-2015, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
Yorkie, you could always consider getting the Resorthoppa shuttle to Puerto Pollensa (and back) and then just hiring a car from one of the local companies like Hiper in the port for the amount of time you need the car for?
With Hiper (and maybe some other local car hire companies) you can also leave the hire car back at the airport depot.
Good advice but be aware you will pay a totally different price at the office than if you book online!!

A friend looked online at prices and called into the office to book. They told him he would have to go to the local "internet café" and book online first to get that price!! He did so and five minutes later saved over 100 Euros!!

Also they often charge an extra 30 Euros for the privilege of one-way rentals!! However an extra day and the one-way rental charge may be cheaper than transport costs to the airport.

My FlickR Photos
Old 21-11-2015, 14:54

Well, we had a great experience with Sixt. No queues (although it was November), very quick and easy service (pretty girl behind the counter- I can say that'cos I'm old). They offered me a choice of car, we took a Clio. Dropping off couldn't have been easier or more efficient.
May not be the cheapest, but we will certianly use them in June
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 21-11-2015, 17:15

Well we still use Record out of season (November - March) through the agency Do You Spain. No queues and as our details are already on their database - no hassle about insurance, we simply leave the credit card deposit of 900 euros. This November for a three week period with a fairly new Opel Corsa the cost of rental was 34 euros and the cost of a full tank of petrol was 80 euros. I doubt that can be beaten. During the regular season we hire via Vives cars which comes as part of the hire through the Villa Company we use. Again our experience of Vives is excellent, though if you try to hire directly with them rather than through the Villa company they are expensive (relatively).
El Gordo likes this.
Old 10-01-2016, 22:22

Default Sixt 2016

Booked rentals for this year as we usually do with SIXT.

Prices at present much same as last year. However, for those who are used to an 'Additional Driver Free' this is now a payable extra. For June and August/September it ranges from 1+ to 3+ Euros a day.

Very reliable and excellent service especially when we had to extend a hire due to unexpected ill health.
Lorenzo likes this.

Last edited by Luckyone; 10-01-2016 at 22:25. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-01-2016, 22:04

Where do you pick up the car from Vives?
Old 24-04-2016, 13:56

Another bit of praise for Sixt.

Got a free upgrade as they hadnt got one of our booked class immediately available. Offered a return with fuel full or empty. Chose empty but, in the event, didnt do as much mileage as we expected, so it wasnt a good bet - but good to have been offered the choice. Took the "additional insurance" as wanted to be covered for sorting out any type/windscreen issues.

I managed to damage it - some very bad paint scraping along one side when I misjudged the angle getting through the villa's gate post. Expected a load of paperwork when I returned it. Woman at the desk just waved me away saying that the insurance covered it - they didnt even want to see the damage .
Old 01-04-2017, 12:05

I am hoping someone who has used Sixt can help me please. I am looking at hiring a car for next week. I can't seem to see how much deposit I will have to leave when I take the car. Can anyone advise?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2017, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gp1602 View Post
I am hoping someone who has used Sixt can help me please. I am looking at hiring a car for next week. I can't seem to see how much deposit I will have to leave when I take the car. Can anyone advise?
Thanks

Hi Gp, if you log in to your Sixt Booking and e-mail them using the 'Contact Us' and give your rental reference, ask the question and some kind member of Sixt Staff will reply within 24 hours or less.

We have used for many years and their service is great.
Gp1602 likes this.