Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberland8 View Post
I hired off Record & showed them my insurence4carhire annual policy the lady @ the desk said it did not give me full cover ,I stood my ground & refused to take out their additional insurance , after a 5 minute stand off the manager backed off & handed the keys over.this was an unnecessary situation as there was a que of 20 people behind me & I made sure every last one could hear me.

Same happened to me at Avis a couple of weeks ago , the lady was quite abrupt when I would nt take their 17 euro a day extra insurance when I had my own policy. She eventually agreed and explained that it was ok but in the event of a claim I was to settle with Avis ( maximum €1200 ) then claim from my policy
This was at 1130 pm and totally unnecessary , does nt make for a good start to a holiday !
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2015, 18:28

Default Changes in insurance excess in Spain

Just received this..................................

Changes in insurance excess in Spain

Goldcar, Drivalia & SOL-MAR are changing from no-excess to an excess model for their car rentals in Spain. This means that you will be responsible for approx 1200,00 EUR of bodywork damage as well as all the old chesnuts like tyres, glass, locks, towing etc.

We will, just as we always have, show the excess value clearly on our web pages and we will also continue to offer our top-up insurance to cover both the vehicle's excess value and all the usual hidden extras. But we thought you might not neccesarily spot the change - hence this email.

This is a trend I'm afraid I expect to see continue over the next few months. Rest assured, I will let you know if other firms start doing the same thing.

Stop press : Centauro have also advised the same change effective 7th March 2015..
Old 03-03-2015, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vect4 View Post
Just received this..................................

Changes in insurance excess in Spain

Goldcar, Drivalia & SOL-MAR are changing from no-excess to an excess model for their car rentals in Spain. This means that you will be responsible for approx 1200,00 EUR of bodywork damage as well as all the old chesnuts like tyres, glass, locks, towing etc.

We will, just as we always have, show the excess value clearly on our web pages and we will also continue to offer our top-up insurance to cover both the vehicle's excess value and all the usual hidden extras. But we thought you might not neccesarily spot the change - hence this email.

This is a trend I'm afraid I expect to see continue over the next few months. Rest assured, I will let you know if other firms start doing the same thing.

Stop press : Centauro have also advised the same change effective 7th March 2015..
Unfortunately in my son's case what Goldcar said at the desk was not the same as on their website, when he was pressured to take additional insurance which was not necessary. Beware!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:21

I have used Record four times in the past few months with no problems. Friendly and helpful, straightforward rentals in my experience.

I used Goldcar last week as I needed an estate, and will NEVER use them again. I echo others' experiences. Everything was a problem, with clouded threats, and they wouldn't even provide me with the estate car I had booked. That's 60 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:40

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have used Record four times in the past few months with no problems. Friendly and helpful, straightforward rentals in my experience.

I used Goldcar last week as I needed an estate, and will NEVER use them again. I echo others' experiences. Everything was a problem, with clouded threats, and they wouldn't even provide me with the estate car I had booked. That's 60 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Yes, maybe 60 mins of you life you'll never get back, but years of your business and probably hundreds, if not thousands of other's, prospective customer's lost to them forever. Business's can only take so much bad publicity !
pansy potter and Submariner like this.
Old 03-03-2015, 16:01

We hired a car in the UK at Christmas from Budget/Avis and they had exactly that excess on their policy but did accept that we had excess insurance cover.
Old 03-03-2015, 20:34

Hi lollipop,

I'm glad they accepted it without argument as I had a 10 min stand off literally , with a very brusque Avis employee ! Thankfully my insurance had a very good sentence saying you do not need any extra insurance decline any extra insurance offered by the car hire company. At 1130pm I did not see this quick enough !!!
Old 07-03-2015, 18:16

Default Charges

After all the debate I wanted to check what the actual charges would be so emailed Goldcar. We have a booked for 2 weeks in June made last month at a very good rate. Their reply is below:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Goldcar Rental, more than 25 years experience at your service.

The cost for our Relax cover, our zero excess cover is 110.70 euros, if you do not hire any additional cover, you must make a deposit of 600 Euros, which will be blocked from your credit card during 15 days.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any future reservations or questions you may have about our services.

Kind regards, Vicente.

I guess it's up to you to make you choice.

Manda
Old 07-03-2015, 23:43

When I picked up my car from Goldcar on the 2nd March I was asked if I wished to take additional insurance or block an excess. I am a regular customer so they know I always decline the insurance as I have the yearly car hire insurance, so there was no hassle there..

But then I was informed that the excess for bodywork had been changed from zero to 1200E!! and the excess for wheels, glass etc was 900E

I was given a drawing of the car with two small crosses where damage was noted.

On inspection of the car there were many more scratches etc. I took pictures and marked the drawing which I eventually persuaded the office to agree. What an unnecessary process.

I shall certainly reconsider my supplier in the future.

My FlickR Photos
Old 08-03-2015, 09:17

Not the best way to start a holiday. I wonder if they have increased the excess to put businesses like "insuretheexcess" out of business?
Economy car hire continue to offer car hire without excess, including Centauro, not sure how long this will last.
Sixt have quoted 600 euro excess this year for our hire in April and October whilst last year it was nil.
El Gordo likes this.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda View Post
After all the debate I wanted to check what the actual charges would be so emailed Goldcar. We have a booked for 2 weeks in June made last month at a very good rate. Their reply is below:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Goldcar Rental, more than 25 years experience at your service.

The cost for our Relax cover, our zero excess cover is 110.70 euros, if you do not hire any additional cover, you must make a deposit of 600 Euros, which will be blocked from your credit card during 15 days.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any future reservations or questions you may have about our services.

Kind regards, Vicente.

I guess it's up to you to make you choice.

Manda
Manda,

I suggest that you type "Goldcar and Tripadvisor" into google to get the full picture.
Old 08-03-2015, 13:04

Alcanadakid,

Just done that so the last posting on that is 2012!!!

I'm not trying to defend Goldcar, simply adding information for others.

Having travelled the world I've found that most the car hire companies are the same and have some sort of hidden costs. In the end I would rather pay for insurance for piece of mind, driving standards in the UK are abysmal and seem to get worse when you go to Mallorca.

One thing that has changed though is the fuel policy, although you have to pay full up front they do refund you pretty quickly for unused now. On the 3 occasions I used them last year the refund was confirmed before I had even got home.. It was also credited back to my credit card within 3 days.

Just noticed that even if you go through Carjet the majority of the car hire they are using is Goldcar.

Manda
debz1 likes this.
Old 08-03-2015, 17:46

Quote:
Alcanadakid,

Just done that so the last posting on that is 2012!!!

I'm not trying to defend Goldcar, simply adding information for others.

Having travelled the world I've found that most the car hire companies are the same and have some sort of hidden costs. In the end I would rather pay for insurance for piece of mind, driving standards in the UK are abysmal and seem to get worse when you go to Mallorca.

One thing that has changed though is the fuel policy, although you have to pay full up front they do refund you pretty quickly for unused now. On the 3 occasions I used them last year the refund was confirmed before I had even got home.. It was also credited back to my credit card within 3 days.

Just noticed that even if you go through Carjet the majority of the car hire they are using is Goldcar.

Manda
I think you will find that the last posts on Tripadvisor were in November 2014 and give similar, if not worse, experiences to those here
Old 11-03-2015, 21:47

Without getting into a big debate over this then your Google search isn't simply Goldcar and Tripadvisor in the search bar!!!

Having my own IT company what you say is GIGO. If you want to people to use your use your recommendations on how to use Google then tell them explicitly on what to search on.

So the latest on the NZ site is 2014.

Amazing how some people believe everything the Internet comes up with
Old 11-03-2015, 23:14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Without getting into a big debate over this then your Google search isn't simply Goldcar and Tripadvisor in the search bar!!!

Having my own IT company what you say is GIGO. If you want to people to use your use your recommendations on how to use Google then tell them explicitly on what to search on.

So the latest on the NZ site is 2014.

Amazing how some people believe everything the Internet comes up with
Manda, not everyone is an IT guru.
Members are merely sharing their experiences and i feel this is getting a wee bit personal so i would ask that you just agree to disagree and leave it at that, thank you.