Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 20:13

Default Airport car rental

Apologies if this is an "old hat" subject but a quick nosy through past threads hasnt helped.

I see there are seven rental companies, list on the airport website. Before I start doing any costings, are there any of them that you would warn me off looking at. I know most of them are major companies but I don't think Ive heard of Goldcar or Record.

Just back from 3 weeks in Tenerife and have booked the villa in Pollensa for 2 weeks in September. Just flights and car to sort out.

TIA
Old 25-02-2014, 22:36

Default Car hire in Palma airport

The best car hire company by far in the airport in my humble opinion is Sixt - quick service at their desk (and better prices if you use them often and get one of their loyalty cards). Full/full on the fuel option and often freebie upgrades. Sparkling clean cars and efficient hand back service at the end of the hire period. The downside is that they tend to be costlier during the main season so may not be a reasonable option in September.

Europcar, Avis & Hertz have all been good in the past but charges for extra comprehensive insurance are often quite hefty. Several members of this forum recommend taking out a year round all inclusive car hire insurance and this may be a good option for you. It is worth checking to see if you can have their cars on a full/full fuel basis too just to be sure.

Record are ok but often the queues for their desk in the airport can be so long that you may have to factor in at least an hour to get the keys for your hire car. It's a bit luck of the draw! I think the longest queue I had on one occasion took 1.5 hours to get to the desk! The last time I used them they insisted on the full/empty fuel policy and took a rather large sum for the full tank of fuel the car had in it. Ditto for the comprehensive insurance.

There have been several words of caution about Ok Rentacar..... they are off airport (quite a distance) and some people have had hefty additional charges put on their credit card charge for supposed 'damage' discovered after the car was handed back.

Several friends have used Vanrell and found them to be very good....and I've used Hiper a couple of times recently and was very satisfied with them.

Hope some of this helps! I am sure other members of this forum will also have some handy pointers for you.
animagic21 and lollipop like this.
Old 26-02-2014, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
The best car hire company by far in the airport in my humble opinion is Sixt
would probably agree with you LO but even after alls been said record not bad either even after many poor reports, if you're quick at baggage claim and often much cheaper too just our opinion though
Old 26-02-2014, 11:23

All round year car insurance is the way forward when hiring a car - much cheaper. Click and Rent good company - formerly autos estarellas.
Old 26-02-2014, 15:57
Founder

And of course info on many of the above plus Insurance4CarHire annual insurance can all be found on our page Discount Car Hire - Mallorca - Majorca - Palma Airport
Old 26-02-2014, 17:13

Carol

What's the actual web address of 'Click and Rent' (formerly Estarellas) car hire?
Old 26-02-2014, 18:06
Super Moderator

Millipet, just type "click and rent" into Google search, the link is there .
Old 26-02-2014, 19:53

Myself & several family members have been caught out by Record too many times ,the waiting time to collect your motor vary from 1.5 hours to my uncles waiting 2.5 hours combined with dreadful customer service make this the worst car rental in the airport by a long way.
I cannot understand why after all the negative reports over many years this company refuses to address the problems & misery caused to hundreds of holidaymakers.
Old 26-02-2014, 23:13

If using Goldcar, the VIP €15 extra is well worth it, just for the look on the queue's collective face when you waltz straight up to the desk on a Saturday & get sorted in 2 mins before the bags are off........OK, the there is the usual full/empty + 'additional insurance' gripe, but their cars do tend to be new, & we haven't really found better 10 years on....
debz1 likes this.
Old 26-02-2014, 23:48

Default Airport Car Rental

I have to recommend Click - Rent.com formerly Autos Estrallas. I have used them for 20 odd years and they are excellent . Full/full and a very very short wait at the airport - on 4th floor of multi-storey and leave car there on return.
May be a tad more expensive than some but service and ease is well worth it.
Old 27-02-2014, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg View Post
If using Goldcar, the VIP €15 extra is well worth it, just for the look on the queue's collective face when you waltz straight up to the desk on a Saturday & get sorted in 2 mins before the bags are off........OK, the there is the usual full/empty + 'additional insurance' gripe, but their cars do tend to be new, & we haven't really found better 10 years on....
Agree about Goldcar and yes the looks are priceless, but keep schtum about the VIP bit or everyone will pay the extra for this service and there will be a queue!!!

The full/empty policy is a pain but if you are there for more than a week and therefore will use the petrol they are good value.
Old 27-02-2014, 12:39

You mean like with speedy boarding!!
debz1 likes this.

On island time!!
Old 27-02-2014, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
You mean like with speedy boarding!!

Have never seen the point of speedy boarding especially now when you can pre book seats
Old 27-02-2014, 14:14

If you are first off, you get about half an hour more holiday, and if you travel other than in the summer you need to get on first or else you hand luggage can be put in the hold, then there is no point in going light, other than that I would agree!
debz1 likes this.

On island time!!
Old 27-02-2014, 20:24

Always used Centaura, never had a problem, re service or waiting.