Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 5 Post By eleanor
  • 4 Post By fil6699
  • 1 Post By Belladonna
  • 1 Post By debz1
  • 3 Post By mike_dublin
  • 1 Post By eleanor
  • 1 Post By Stevo66
  • 2 Post By mwc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 21:29

Default In praise of Record!

For many years we booked cars with Record until the que became such an issue that enough was enough. From then on we have used various companies and frankly there wasn't much between them in our opinion. We have just returned having had a very hectic time in PP. As usual prior to our viisit I spent time looking at the various 'deals' to be had with the many rental companies. We were arriving late and as Record came up so much cheaper decided to try them again. The first time for many a year! we arrived to find no que whatsoever. Within 10 minutes we had collected luggage sorted car and headed towards the pick up. The only disadvantage was that we were allocated a fiat 500 which we hated. It was brand new with just a few miles on the clock and clean. It also had the necessary bits in case we broke down.

On our second night we decided to visit the new DIY to buy paint etc. It was late when we eventually left with few cars left in the car park. The drive to the motorway from the DIY is a very short one. On entering the motorway we realised we had a flat tyre. From experience I knew we were a target! Thankfully we found the triangle, jacket and spare very quickly. Husband began to change the wheel when a car pulled up and stopped directly behind us with 4 men sitting watching us. I just knew ..! So I grabbed our bags, took my phone out, took their photos and let them see me then lock the bags in the car. They just sat and watched! I stood by husband and watched them back. The tyre was changed in extra quick time. I ran for the triangle while husband started the car ready for our get away. With that the car with the 4 men started their engine and went off not giving us a glance. Scared? you bet!
We drove straight to the airport and to the Record pick up. Without question they changed our car to a much better Fiesta. We were then on our way!
I have no doubt that we were a target that night. Record came up trumps and I would use them again. A very narrow escape and without the change of car I would have worried incase we were followed or whatever further up the motorway.
A warning to all too - check your tyres! What a shame the rental companies have to make it obvious by stickers and no hubcaps that their cars are rentals!

Last edited by eleanor; 24-06-2013 at 21:32. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 24-06-2013, 22:04
Super Moderator

OMG!!! Eleanor that must have been really frightening but so glad all was well in the end .
Old 24-06-2013, 22:14

Yes it was, Sparky and because it had happened to us before years ago with a nasty ending, we are now very aware. I think had I not taken their photo the result would have been different. As it happened the photo didn't come out as I took one of my shoe! lol but they didn't know that! I was shaking so much. I think being aware saved us this time plus the possible look on my face that I might just fight to the end!

Seriously though - a warning to be on guard and check your tyres if in a rented car. I really can't recall if it is only Record that have stickers on their back window and no hubcaps? A give away to any potental nasty and something which the car rental people should think about perhaps.
Old 24-06-2013, 22:18

That must have been a terrible experience. Do you think they did something to your tyre in the DIY car park and then followed you knowing that you would have to stop? Hopefully things like that don't happen too often, but it does make you wonder doesn't it. Glad everything was ok
Old 24-06-2013, 22:20
Super Moderator

Yes indeed and thanks for the warning, please be careful everyone.

All the hire cars i see around the Port have stickers and no hubcaps, i agree it is a dead give away to the unscrupulous among us .
eleanor likes this.
Old 24-06-2013, 22:24

I have no doubt whatsoever that they did exactly that. It is the usual ploy they use. It happened to us about ten years ago and that time we lost everything. I do not wish to cause anyone to worry as it doesn't happen often thankfully plus it happens everywhere including London. The purpose of my post was to let people know what had happened to us and to be very much on guard.

I also have no doubt that they knew we were aware of their intentions and knew by my actions of taking a photo and then locking the bags up that they did not have an easy target.

As I said this could happen anywhere in the World but knowledge is power!

Last edited by eleanor; 24-06-2013 at 22:26. Reason: typo
Old 24-06-2013, 22:40

Hiring a car from Hiper in the Port tomorrow - I wonder if they would remove the stickers and replace the hubcaps if I asked nicely?
One of the best hires we ever had was a VW Caddy from Record. From the service documents, it appeared to have been bought at auction on the mainland and had previously had a life as a builders transport. Generally in a tatty but roadworthy condition. A stress free couple of weeks as the kids couldn't have made the interior condition worse, or, back to the thread, could we have been seen as tourists and an easy target.
Old 24-06-2013, 22:47

A number of years ago in Florida they passed a law stating all hire cars must have no marking on and in no way must they be able to be distinguished from regular cars to protect tourist. I call that a no brainer. And cannot for the life of me understand why the Spanish Government allow its biggest and often only source of income to be sent out in what is effectively a target. And I have noticed over recent years the stickers are getting bigger on the cars . We don't need to hire a car now but if I still did I would be removing the stickers until it went back ( Just an Idea you didn't hear it from me)And if you are renting for a while nip into Chinese shop get some cheap plastic wheel trims bang them on remove stickers and DA ! DA ! your a local (And if you really want it to look like a local car dent every corner lol)
Sparky, lollipop, Rosie34 and 1 others like this.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:14

Absolutely terrifying for you eleanor! It's such a shame that you can no longer assume that anyone stopping is actually there to help you anymore. Thank goodness your instincts kicked in - very impressed!
Fil - and bump back and forwards when parking to dent the front and back too!
fil6699 likes this.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:20

OMG Eleanor what a terrifying ordeal. Well done you for having the guts and nerve to think clearly in such a scary situation. You should frame the photo of your shoe as a reminder of your bravery
Sparky likes this.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:44

Well done Eleanor (and husband) on the awareness and the escape.
Great idea of using your phone to take pictures.
pollensa, Belladonna and eleanor like this.
Old 25-06-2013, 11:48

Yes I was terrified but also angry and determined that no way would they rob us! It was one of the topics of conversation during the week all the what if's! I think I would have run into the road with the car key rather than give it up to them to be robbed! Not quite sure really but thankfully it didn't come to that.

I think the fact they thought I had taken their photo and that of their car was enough for them to think about the outcome. Interestingly when they pulled away in front of us as we were beginning to drive off none of them gave us a glance and 2 were on the phone! This was another reason we drove straight to Record.

Record did come up trumps - ok we had full insurance but they changed the car literally within a couple of minutes. Very good service and they deserve to have our custom again.
clinkham likes this.
Old 25-06-2013, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Fil - and bump back and forwards when parking to dent the front and back too!
And don't indicate at roundabouts and junctions.
Belladonna likes this.
Old 28-07-2013, 21:55

Passed the Record desk on Friday late morning and must have been about 50 frustrated and hot looking holiday makers waiting each side of the desk - looked like a very long wait given how long it takes them to do their paperwork (most of which you have already filled in online)

Would not use at the height of summer
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31

Must say we have used Record this year for the second year running albeit through Argus. Having heard some bad reports after already having booked them last year they were very good & we had no problems, therefore had no qualms about using them again. We did have a little wait in collecting the car & wondered what that may be like in the really high season, though we were offered a choice of fuel policy, either full & bring back empty or full & bring back full, which bearing in mind we had already pre-paid hire through Argus was really good. After shopping about before we hired some months ago Record were not only the cheapest, we were also given a brand new car. When I say brand new, all the plastic sleeves were still on handles, visors etc, with 17km on the clock, so must have been first to use it. Price also included excess cover. Hope dropping it off is as smooth.
El Gordo and lollipop like this.