Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Books, Guides and Maps

Books, Guides and Maps Read any good books lately? Did you manage to finish Captain Corelli's ...? Recommend your favourite travel guides and maps. Suggest holiday reads for kids.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 02:06
robjay

Default Book Swap

Are We right in thinking that a Video hire shop runs a book swap scheme in PP?. If so which one is it? and secondly do we have to join to swap or take in an old book?.
Who can tell us?

Rob & Caroline
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2005, 02:07

Default books

Lots of places in Puerto Pollensa have a load of books in English that you can borrow or swap, (Bon Dia cafe near the Hotel Pollensa Park, Hideaway restaurant near the Habitat roundabout, Olivers resaurant near Flora apartments etc etc) usually no charge or else there is a collecting tin for the Pollensa Animal Refuge nearby to which you are invited to contribute.
Also if you happen to go along to the Alcudia market (Tuesdays and Sundays in the morning) there is a charity stall raising money for the Alcudia Animal Refuge that sells books in English at four for a euro. The Salon hairdressing and beauty salon in C/Monges just back from the seafront restaurant Los Faroles also sells paperbacks for this good cause at two for a euro
Old 04-07-2005, 06:10
robjay

Default Re: books

Ann, thank you for the information. the Hotel we stay at has a bookcase where you can swap books, but last year i found I'd read all the Mills & Boon books on offer (NOT!:eek ).
It's also handy to know where we can leave our used books, and know that they are doing some good when we leave and not just filling yet another skip.

Take care.

Rob & Caroline
Old 28-07-2005, 01:49
PennyWhite

Al Fresco takeaway place will take your books if you don't want to take them home, sells them very cheaply as a fundraiser to feed strays. I have a bit of a problem with that as I don't like strays in holiday places (Lanzarote and cats! North Cyprus and dogs! Count me out!!) I'd prefer the cash going to neutering them.
Be that as it may, hubby picked up some good trashy stuff for the beach from there, good recycling scheme.
Old 10-08-2005, 14:15
robjay

Penny I agree with you when it comes to the charity, our local cat & dog rescue charity help with the costs of neutering.
Next time hubby is looking for some "trashy" books or maybe even books for yourself, why not pop into your local favorite charity shops and buy your books from them. we all know what the baking heat, sun, sand & suntan oil does to our newly bought books, so why not take secondhand ones?. Then when finnished leave them for the locals charity places to sell on.
This way you'll have helped not one but two charities raise much needed money, saved a tree or two, enjoyed your holiday reading, saved yourself some cash, helped educate another tourist, saved on weight on your return luggage ( less fuel need to be burned by plane) and many many more advantages.
Funny isn't it, that by buying a secondhand book you can help this world become a better place in so many ways. And anyway who looks at another persons holiday reading and thinks "my book looks newer that that one"?, I tend to look at a book and think " God that book must be so good because they are reading it again":rollin .

Happy holiday reading.

Rob
Old 10-08-2005, 22:53
PennyWhite

And you Rob, am I right in thinking you are going out soon? have a great time, have enjoyed reading your posts.
Old 11-08-2005, 18:47
robjay

thank you Penny. We are out in PP for 4 nights next week. We are looking forward to it .
Chat soon.
Rob
Old 29-08-2005, 19:36
robjay

Default Book Swap

Here's another one of my daft ideas, God only knows where they come from but I like posting drivel............................:lol

Instead of us lugging our "read" books back home to clutter up the cupboard, and taking up valuable "Duty Free" weight. Why not leave them in PP. yes I know I've already posted this!. I need to keep my posting figures up you know!. Now where were we?. Ah yes the old potatoe, leaving our used books behind..................................:rollin

Ah well here's my twist on the thread, forget giving them to a charity shop, forget binning them!. How about this novel idea ( like the pun?:rollin ).

Twist 1: We find a place to deposit the books IE Cafe Carumba (PollensaMan? ) whilst we enjoy our Coffee, Tea, beer or Sangria (increased revenue/customer base) we browse through the books picking one we'd like to read and leaving one we enjoyed reading.

Twist 2: Most paperbacks have blank pages at inside the front or back covers, OK?, when you've read your book write a short review on one of the blank pages with your user name, then the next reader does the same and so on.

Twist 3: We write "Enjoyed this book? write a review here and on www.puertopollensa.com" or some other kind of promotional blurb with the site logo/ address. Increasing members/ visitors.

Twist 4: You leave a donation for the books "use" at the bar. at the end of the season, the donation is handed out to a local charity or used to purchase something that benifits the local school/community, using the local press to promote us good folks from the forum and www.puertopollensa.com.

Ok it's crazy and will never work:\ , But I got another posting under my belt for yet another crazy idea:lol .

PollensaMan If you can get me the place I'll get this up and running with a few books. Anybody care to join in?.

Take care.

Rob
Old 10-09-2005, 02:22

Hi Rob,

I thought your idea was very good and only wish I had seen it before I returned home.

Although I normally leave books behind me at the villa there were two I read that I brought home with me they were so good.

But I like your idea very much - another way of communicating with forum members but raising money at the same time.

Anyone up for helping out on this?
Jane
Old 11-09-2005, 01:40

Rob,

Yhis is an A1 idea, if you get it up and running before I go at the end of October I will certainly support it

Caz
Old 15-09-2005, 19:51
robjay

Thank you Jane & CD.
I'll have a chat with pollensaman when we meet for a beer or two in 4 weeks time, see if we can get this up and running.
Anybody else willing to leave books if we can get this thing off the ground?.

Rob