Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree56Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 20:26

Thanks for that tip Mark. Got plenty of luggage allowance so that would be another option
scouse mark likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2015, 11:17
Super Moderator

A friend took this photo this morning.

12010767_10204859279234020_5504455807808243751_o by lyn.sparkes, on Flickr
Old 01-10-2015, 11:57

OMG that's shocking!! I was laying there last week, such a shame, hope they can try and sort it out for the rest of the season!!

On island time!!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:25
Super Moderator

I think they will start to pack it all away........after they have dug it up of course .
sws97sdg and lollipop like this.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:27

Any reports of injuries anywhere, I hope not! Just shows again the power of nature

On island time!!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:27

I see the clear up operation is underway on the beach
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43
Super Moderator

No reports of any injuries thank goodness SWS.

Yes Jonsey clear up is in full swing but i think they will take a lot of the beds and brollies away now .
Old 02-10-2015, 10:16
Super Moderator

Some more photos from the DDM here :- El mar causa destrozos en la playa del Port de Pollença en Diario de Mallorca..
Old 03-10-2015, 10:35
Super Moderator

We made it on the news :- El temporal deixa una embarcació varada al Port de Pollença | IB3.
lollipop likes this.
Old 03-10-2015, 17:39

Had an early run this morning from centre of Port down to Can Cuarassa and back, and it's not looking too good. The guys who run the sun beds etc. are doing what they can, but there's only a few of them, and only so much one can do in a day.

From the old Katy's Bar down as far as the Taxi Rank, things are virtually back to normal. A large tree went down just in front of Corb Mari, and a smaller one opposite the Dania, and both were removed yesterday, and two chaps from the Sis Pins spent practically all of Thursday afternoon removing the sand, (which appeared to be about a foot deep in places) from the concrete sunbathing area in front of Cappachinos.

From the roundabout to about the Hotel Uyel/Tammerells area, the beach is looking OK, although there are still stacks of sun beds drying out, and quite a few of the umbrellas have had to be removed. However, from here right the way down past the new Can Joseph, there's still a lot of work needed. Some sun bed are still buried and there's huge mounds of sand piled up at the waters edge, together with what must literally be tons of seaweed all the way along the beach, (from the promenade looking across to the sea, it's hard to distinguish the sand from the seaweed, it's so thick in places).

Another problem is a rather unpleasant smell developing, which could originate from the seaweed, although someone I spoke to thought it could be dead fish, or possibly the drainage system may have been blocked, or damaged in some areas. There are of course, several JCB's, lorries and cranes with lifting gear on larges trucks spread all along the area, but it would appear the clean-up is far from over. I would stress though, that I saw all of this some eight or nine hours ago, so the situation could be much improved by now.

In fact, what is really required is probably a few more bodies to help the overall operation. I stood and watched two of the guys digging out sun beds yesterday, and believe me, it's' not an easy or quick job.
CharlieV likes this.
Old 03-10-2015, 23:34

Thanks for taking the time to post your update Pinewalker. I'm out on the
17th Oct for a week and was wondering how the clean-up operation was doing. Perhaps I need to pack my shovel
LK1960 likes this.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:12

Not too much appears to have changed from yesterday. The problem area seems to be from about Tamarells/Hotel Uyal down as far as Swing Restaurant/La Roca Beach Bar. Here, quite frankly the beach resembles a building site, with huge mounds of sand still piled up amongst buried sun beds and discarded broken umbrellas. The remainder of the sun beds have been collected and neatly stacked in piles, and it doesn't look as if they will be back in use any time soon.

Further down towards Can Joseph and heading out of town, where the beach narrows and the sand changes to shingle/pebbles the problem is seaweed. In places it must be a foot or more high and completely covers the shingle below. I don't know if this will disappear in time, if not it would take some removing by hand.

At a guess, I would think it's going to take another week or so before things are back to normal, but as I said yesterday, there appears to only be a limited amount of manpower available, and only so much they can achieve in a day.

On a more positive note, the weather is beautiful today, very warm with practically no wind, and first thing this morning, jogging towards Alcudia and looking out over the sea, the sun was literally sparkling across the water.
lollipop likes this.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:11
Super Moderator

I am sure that with more manpower the job would be done quicker, unfortunately because of the Spanish employment law they cannot take on temporary workers as is possible in the UK.

The scale of the damage is huge, there are hundreds of beds buried and a massive amount of sand which needs to be shifted. I doubt that the repairs will be completed before the end of the season but rest assured that they are doing everything possible.
Lorenzo and lollipop like this.
Old 10-10-2015, 22:32

Smile Update on beaches?

Hi everyone. We arrive next Saturday for a week (yay!) and I was just wondering how the beach clean up was going after the recent storm. It all looks good on the webcam but does anyone know how the beach is looking in the area near Little Italy? That's the bit we tend to use because it's near the apartment we stay in.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:32

Looks like that's the end of summer then. See on the webcam that all the beds have been removed....brollies will be next. Does seem to have been left a bit later this year as they are usually beginning to take them away when we are out around middle of month. Looking forward to March/April when they will all be put back out again. Unfortunately I will probably only see it on the webcam
Closed Thread