Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 18:20

Default Mudsharks Abroad

Well we are here. The entire mudshark crew. I'm Montegue, and there's the wife, Florentina and the kids, Robespierre and Jonquiletta. (all names changed to protect the guilty) The airport was a disaster, the queues for passport control were about 100m long and the queue at Goldcar though shorter took about 45 minutes. By the time wheels were turning it was about 2 hours after we landed. Never mind, on with the food. After sourcing a supply of crisp 50 Euro bills it was off to Il Giardino in the square for lunch. I had a nice smoked salmon salad while Flo had melon and ham and the kids had bruschetta and tagliatelli Bolognese. All very tasty but it came with some drinks to euro 49.60. So I slapped one of said 50s on the table and ran. No tip for Mr Giardino.
After finding our accommodation and a handy supermerkato ( either called Bip or Bip Bip, I like the latter) the subject of dinner was broached. We ended up in El Brio, no booking required, though they looked busy. I ordered the goats cheesesalad as did Flo, Jonq had the Palma ham with melon as did Robe. I loved the starter but I think the vinaigrette was a bit much for Flo. Main course consisted of pork tenderloin for me, githead bream ( nice spelling) for the wife, seabass for Robe and chicken with gorgonzola sauce. They got my order wrong but sorted it in minutes and were very apologetic about it. All very tasty. This was from their menu del dia at 16.90 so also included pud. All washed down with the house red and white. Total was 100.70. Stagger home to bed. This has been written on my Archos tablet, a painful process so further reports may be more succinct. adios.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-08-2011, 21:26

We ended up in El Brio, no booking required, though they looked busy

Its been a while since Brio got a mention - good to know they are still keeping busy.I think we were one of their first customers when they opened about 18 months ago and I think we were just about their only customer one night

Have the rest of a good holiday - but Bip Bip

Rosie
Old 28-08-2011, 21:48

What a most enjoyable comestibles read ,thank you Sharkys.
Old 28-08-2011, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
[I][COLOR="Magenta"]
but Bip Bip
think they mean the sound the check out scanner makes as they scan barcodes... just a guess though
Old 29-08-2011, 18:25

Default day 2

On Sunday we had lunch on our roof terrace, a blizzard of smoked meats, cheese and wine. That evening I set out with a map in my head of the location of Trencadora. After a snifter at Bar Alambra I managed to get my bearings and find the place, the fountain that we could hear from the other end of the street helped. The place was very busy but after standing around for five minutes they managed to find us a table. It was a table meant for 3 so it was a squeeze but the location was superb, the fountain had the added benefit of drowning out the chatter from other tables.
For starters I ordered the bruschetta, Flo the Palma ham and melon and the kids both ordered Proverlone (hot cheese) thinking it would be something like the deep fried cheese log type thing they have had before in the UK. The Bruschetta was on a black bread and was unusual, the ham and melon was huge but what really took the biscuit was the cheese dish. They were presented with a pot of cheese! Strong and steaming it was too. Now I like a strong cheese but even I was wilting with the inevitable help I had to administer to see off this dish.
Mains were spaghetti with prawns for me, spaghetti with clams for the wife, seafood pizza for Robe and penne Arrabiata for Jonq. (As a strange aside, Robe's pizza was delivered before the starter and was sent away again, we feared the worst at this point but the serving staff seemed to get it together again after that) Flo declared her clams to be the best she had had so far and I think we were all happy with our grub if a little rustic! Whole prawns complete with shell sliced in half lengthwise on a pizza?
Puds followed like night follows day and consisted of crem brulee, choccy icecream, Apple sorbet and basil sorbet! Like an icy sweet pesto Flo decided. Wine was a half litre each of the house red and white at 7 euros each. A very nice evening was had for the grand total of €110.
Old 29-08-2011, 19:39

Goodness me! Mr Mud that sounds like a Splendiferous intake of nutrition, indeed it has made ones mouth water with such a wonderful description.
I have never found Trencadora so it goes onto the Cumberlands Comestibles prospectus.
Old 29-08-2011, 21:44

Great posts Mudlark, looking forward to the rest of them, sounds like you love the town as much as we do, you can always vote for your top 5 restaurants in the town if you like

On island time!!
Old 30-08-2011, 13:11

Default day 3

Monday. Hello all. Trencadora is easy to find and is only a 2 minute shuffle away from the main square. Leave from the road to the right at the top of the square (carrer Colon) and after 50 or so metres you come to a crossroad, continue on into Ramon Llull and its 50 metres along on the left.
For lunch we decided to venture into the port, after all the great reviews I've read on this site it all went a bit pearshaped. With the entire family Mudshark in tow one must not be indecisive so we wandered along the pinewalk until I saw a name I recognised which was los Pescadores. We sat down here but after a few minute realised the folly of using brilliant white tables in this climate so we moved on to.....
Next door is a charming looking place with a small terrace (6 tables) completely shaded by a giant fig tree. The name of the restaurante was La Balada del Agua del Mar. Google comes up with a reference to the poet Lorca. Deep! In usual order (age) we had tortilla espanol, ensalada mixta, fish soup and spaghetti. All were pretty hefty portions and those without the mudshark hollow leg gene were struggling. Robe's fish soup was particulary splendid. A bottle of Albarino (I had to try it as so many mention Albarino on this forum, very nice it was too) added to the mix and the total bill was €75.30! (Monty nearly choked on his wallet!)
Dinner was on the terrace, there was much meat and even more wine, I think I'll draw a veil over the whole sordid scene, however pud had to be acquired so afterwards we ventured into town (a mere five minute hobble) to avail ourselves of the ice cream booth, Gelats Valls, which I think is on a par with some Italian ice cream parlours I've visited.
Old 30-08-2011, 13:57
Founder

Hi Mudsharks,

it's great to be getting your reviews as they happen! Btw, I'm afraid that Los Pescadores is no more. If you had continued along the Pine Walk, you would have seen a gap just before the corner where they are turning the building into flats. Where you nearly ate is actually 'Can Pescador' - easy to get confused!

Carry on posting, guys!

& if you want to find some of the places in the Port do pick up our leaflet/map from the Tourist Office by the Marina (where you see the Taxis & Buses) or download it here http://www.puertopollensa.com/restau...es.html#restpp
Old 30-08-2011, 14:49

Excellent, really enjoying your reviews Mudshark. Thanks for posting!
Old 30-08-2011, 14:53

Love your posts keep them coming
Old 31-08-2011, 16:39

Default day 4

Tuesday. Breakfast in GR221. Three of us took advantage of the orange juice, croissant and coffee for €5 but Jonq had to be different, only bacon, scrambled eggs and beans would slate her student hunger. All very good for €23 all in. Lunch on the terrace again, meat blizzard etc. But the main feed of the day was going to be Taberna del Temple. Some have described this as a garden, more of a yard with plants and small and empty. At 8:30 we were the only customers though two other parties appeared during our visit. So not popular.
Flo and I stuck to the menu semanal at €15.50 but the kids broke rank and went a la carte. Starters were shrimp and avocado salad, squida Romano, mussels and vegetable soup. Mains were Scalopine of chicken madrilena style, Jarrete veal leg in red wine sauce, gilthead bream and suckling pig. Oh dear, sometimes you choose a bum dish, well mark me down for a double bogey. My shrimp and avocado salad was nice except for the vinaigrette, it was excruciating, so strong it made my eyes water, and it was soaked with the stuff. I'm happy to spray vinegar on my chips (it's Flo's eyes that are watering at the mere sight) but this was beyond the pale. A chef that don't taste his own dishes??
My main was described as chicken fillets in breadcrumbs on a bed of tomato sauce. Sounds nice until you realise they mean ketchup!!! Just gobsmacked. Flo's veal was more like beef but in a rich dark sauce remniscent of the wild boar stew we have tasted in Italy. Jonq described her suckling pig as "technically difficult" though I think everyone else enjoyed their dishes.
We topped off with choc moose from the set menu ("hand made my ass" sez Flo) and the kids had choc moose (no relation to the one we had) and creppes. Wine was a bottle each of the house red and white at €10.80 each. Total €120.60, our most expensive yet but not the best.
Old 31-08-2011, 19:18

Oh Dear! But we always say that we have to have one 'bad' meal experience- at least yours is over Looking forward to your next one. (Not a 'bad experience' though!)
Old 31-08-2011, 19:29

Yes indeed ,The Cumberlands await your next report with baited breath after what can only be described as your somewhat unpleasent catering skirmish.
Old 01-09-2011, 15:45

Default Day 5

Wednesday. Had a late breakfast from the local bakery and went swimming in the port. Sat at Marina cafe and wrote this blog. For dinner we toured the square and surrounds and finally plumped for Ca n'Olesa, again it was very busy but they managed to fit us in. Some of the kids at various tables were far from the "seen but not heard" variety but on the whole it was a pleasant ambience not withstanding the grim faced serving staff. To the food.
Starters were a mixed crostini between me and Jonq, gazpacho soup for Flo and calamar Romana for Robe. The crostini were not to Jonq's taste (cheese and ham were mentioned but failed to make an appearance) so I had most of them. Rove's squid was huge and not at all bad. However Flo's gazpacho was another matter. Gazpacho where I come from is clearish with chunks of tomato and a distinctly garlicky ambience, this was more like cold cream of tomato soup.
Mains were Tumbet, stuffed aubergine, spicy sausage pizza and rabbit in a white wine sauce. The pizza was well appreciated, not a crumb left, and the other mains were all expansive though Flo expected the stuffing to be less like a burger than it was. Jonq struggled with the rabbit but gave it a good scare. I had never tried Tumbet before and thought it was "a loose veggy mousaka with some sliced pork on top"
We had a bottle of the house red at €12.20 and a half of the house white at €5.50 and finished off the evening with a sorbet for Robe, cappuccino for Flo and me and the kids also had an Amaretto each. Total €122.20. Not bad I thought what with sitting in the square and liquors and all.
May I put in a mention for bar Alhambra at this point. We have stopped off for a nightcap here most nights and the staff are very friendly. We discovered their G&Ts last night, you get a lot of gin for €4.50, so much that the whole 330ml can of tonic supplied is needed to dilute it! Damn mosquitoes don't stand a chance.