Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Chivas and late night entertainment (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/7790-chivas-late-night-entertainment.html)

norm 28-07-2011 14:29

Chivas and late night entertainment

Please go gentle on me, I'm new to this forum - this is my first posting. so apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong area or breach any etiquette.

I'm not new to Pollensa though.... we have visited 4 times in the past, however my 2 boys were younger then, so entertaining them was simpler.

We will be arriving in pollensa on 14th august. My eldest is looking forward to going to Chivas with a friend and other late night entertainment. My question really is what are members opinions of Chiva's ? What other places are there open later at night ? What should I be aware of ?

Thanks

pollensafan 29-07-2011 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by norm (Post 62474)
Please go gentle on me, I'm new to this forum - this is my first posting. so apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong area or breach any etiquette.

I'm not new to Pollensa though.... we have visited 4 times in the past, however my 2 boys were younger then, so entertaining them was simpler.

We will be arriving in pollensa on 14th august. My eldest is looking forward to going to Chivas with a friend and other late night entertainment. My question really is what are members opinions of Chiva's ? What other places are there open later at night ? What should I be aware of ?

Thanks

Hi Norm, I'm still laughing at the thought that most of the folk on here would have been in to chivas to be able to give you an opinion (that includes me) Still someone may suprise you :):)

Smiddy 29-07-2011 11:29

Norm, Let them discover for themselves, there are more than enough bars, nightclubs for them to discover. It's a falacy there's not much to do in PP at night, more the opposite.

debz1 29-07-2011 11:29

I almost hate to admit I've been loads of times :eek: Having said that not for about 10 years!! Chivas is really ageless and VERY cheesy...we are not talking Stringfellows :) It's the sort of place you 'fall' into at the end of the evening (doesn't really get going till after midnight) and hubby and I were always dragged in by our kids..ok my arm wasn't twisted that much ;)

As safe as anywhere in PP altho' like any club you will always get the odd fracas. You didn't mention how old your daughter is Norm but I'm sure she will have great fun.

Other popular bars are O'Haras, the Aussie bar, Nostalgia and Batacuda. Also the recently opened Makkasars (which is more of a chill out bar) looks lovely with a roof terrace overloking the square and squishy sofas :)

Sparky 29-07-2011 11:42

And of course there is Tuky's and Lohan's right next door to Chivas, have never been into any of them but they are very popular with locals and tourists alike.

Siralf 29-07-2011 12:43

Buddha Bar the classiest late night bar in the resort "bar none"

JMD40 29-07-2011 12:52

Buddah Bar is really looking Fab - finally treaded carefully around the elephant this week and went it and its amazing. It must have cost a fortune and deserves to suceed. Great prices for pa-amb-oli too. about 5€ I think.
Not sure how young they are but would suggest
Butacada as number 1 spot
Buddah Bar
the one up a flight of steps on the Formentor road, infront of Neptunas which I think has just changed hands and name.
Tukeys
i Bar
and really anywhere they feel comfortable, sometimes the most normal bars have a great group of people and it just feels good......
Chivas is a no go until about 0100hrs and is a bit cheesey and can be a bit problematical at times.... some of the english pubs have good atmosphere too.

norm 29-07-2011 15:33

Thanks all.

My son & his mate are 17 (of course they believe they are 21!), so my concerns arent about decore, more about safety, and closing times ?

Smiddy 29-07-2011 21:54

Norm, My daughter was over 3 years ago with 2 of her pals, all 17 YO, they went to Chivas everynight(via a few vodkas on the beach and a visit to O' Haras) and really enjoyed themselves, home around 4/5 am, never a hint of bother). Your going at the peak time and it will be busy, just have a word, tell them to be carefull with the vino and they will be fine.

its cd 29-07-2011 22:52

We were over last week with a boy and girl of 17 and a girl of 20

Their bAr of choice was batucada and rafa looked after them wonderfully

They did go to chivas on 2 or 3 evenings and i have to admit that last year I ventured in myself with daughter and her friend who were then 16 .... I mainly went for research purposes as I was s bit concerned they would be hassled by waiters arriving after work. No such problems in fact average age on the night I went was about 17 and 60% british with most of remainder local youths

Do remind the lads to watch out for drink spiking

Only last week our kids found a 19 year old girl and her brother struggling on the pinewalk in the early hours ..... The girl could barely walk despite only having had 2 or 3 drinks and ours helped her brother carry her home. She wad only staying near us and came to our building the next day to thank them. She had felt perfectly fine when she left chivas but 10 mins later had almost passes out

russets 30-07-2011 01:45

Just because it is a tourist resort in the sun the legal age to drink alcohol is 18. I may sound like a killjoy but keep it to yourselves that at 17 they were out drinking vodka until the early (or late hours).

The police don't take ignorance as an excuse.

its cd 30-07-2011 07:30

Actually the only time I mentioned drinking alcohol was relayed to a 19 year old. But your post did get me thinking because I was always under the pression that the Spanish drinking age was 16 but a bit of a snoop arous the www tells me that the law was changed a few years ago and is now 18 in line with uk ........ Interestingly though when my daughter picked up a bottle of wine at the supermarket for me last year she was asked whether or not she was 16

sws97sdg 30-07-2011 10:01

Is it not still 16, thought it was?

Sparky 30-07-2011 10:25

I was talking to one of the locals a few weeks ago about how heavy binge drinking is a big problem in the UK and the conversation also included how a lot of youngsters seem to drink the strongest alcohol they can buy. Anyway as part of this discussion he told me that here, under 18s are legally permitted to drink beer but nothing stronger.

Smiddy 30-07-2011 14:30

16, 17 ,18? they're gonna do it anyway, save yourself the grief of arguing all the time:rolleyes: I just tried to educate them and remind them they are out far,far longer than they would be at home, and to try and pace things.