Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52

Default Last night...Ca'n Costa.

It was our last night…we wanted it to be special and where else could we go than Ca’n Costa? We’d booked a table the previous evening and upon arrival sat and relaxed on the comfortable sofas. I felt that little tingle of anticipation as I sipped my drink and hoped that the evening would live up to our expectations!

As it was our last evening on holiday, we pushed the boat out a little in terms of food. I chose the salt and pepper tiger prawns to start and hubby went for the smoked venison. The children, having learnt that tomato soup was on the menu, immediately chose that for their starter followed by the popular spaghetti Bolognese.

For our main courses, hubby went back to his ultimate favourite – the baked cod while I chose the duck breast with potato rosti and green beans. We decided to forgo a bottle of wine and have a glass with our main course instead. As we sat on the sofa I looked around and tried to capture the images in my head…the lovely relaxing sofas, the old camera equipment, the paintings on the wall and tried to imagine how it used to look as a cinema. Already I was feeling nostalgic and as I write this I can see the beautiful décor and wish I was back there now.

My meal was, in the words of Mr Michael Winner, “historic”. The tiger prawns were succulent and delicious, arranged on a creamy risotto. Hubby’s smoked venison was great, he said, but I think I had picked the best choice. My main course of duck breast was tender and the sauce sublime. I wanted to lick the plate, it tasted so good! The potato rosti was crisp and matched the duck beautifully.

As always, the children enjoyed their spaghetti and when I read the comments book near the loo, I think other children would agree with them! Their soup had been thick and tasty and I have to admit to having a couple of spoonfuls!

While I was oohing and ahhing about my duck, I asked hubby about his cod and he said it was ever so slightly over-cooked. Not by much, he stressed, but that wonderful moistness was absent and as a connoisseur of the dish, I knew he would be able to tell. It didn’t stop him from enjoying his meal though and he did tell the waiter how he felt when he came to collect the (very) empty plates.

Amazingly, we found room for pudding and my son told the waiter what he wanted before he even saw the menu – the chocolate fondant. My daughter and husband shared a lemon and plum tart while I chose the interesting “green peppercorn and chocolate tart” with a champagne granita. Mmmmm…!

My dessert was delicious – the green peppercorns adding a hint of spicy heat to the warmth of the chocolate and the champagne granita (a kind of alcoholic Slush Puppy) soothed my taste buds!

Our evening was wonderful and I have very happy memories of relaxing and enjoying the meal there before our journey home the next day. The restaurant was busy but not full and I would book in future to be sure of getting a table.

Jane:b
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2007, 16:09

Ah - sounds lovely Jane. Thanks for all your restaurant posts - I've enjoyed reading them. Lala
Old 09-09-2007, 18:00

Sounds fabulous. Even better than Round One! Like Lala, I've loved reading all your restaurant reviews - the little personal details make them so interesting and there are certainly a few I'd really like to try.

Thanks again. LK.
Old 09-09-2007, 20:09

Thanks Lala and LK - I've really enjoyed writing them. It's prolonged that "holiday feeling" for just a little bit longer!

My parents are out at the moment - staying in a villa in Cala San Vicente and I know they love Ca'n Costa too so I'm just awaiting their report - I've aked them to try and remember what they ate so they can maybe write a post or two as well!

Jane
Old 19-09-2007, 17:47

Sorry Jane, but Im going to have to rain on your parade this time - and I really really wish I didnt have to!

CC has always been the restaurant we go to to either impress family and friends or pamper ourselves - this time we felt a little let down.

What a difference a year or two has made. It all seemd just that little bit tired, less snappy if you get my meaning.
Some things we just couldnt put our finger on, others were glaring us in the face.

The entrance didnt seem quite as smart - and thats not because we are used to it
The meet and greet wasnt quite as professional.
THERE IS NO LONGER A COCKTAIL MENU!!!! This was one of the things we were most looking forward to.
The lighting wasnt right for the usual ambience.
Totally agree that the food is still wonderfully cooked and well presented, but the choice seems to have diminished and lacks that unknown quantity of "OO, lets try that!"
Service is good but lacked the attentiveness of the past.

And as for the coffee!
Well, its a talking point admittedly and we had a huge giggle over it with the help of the previously drunk wine!
After we had all finished our meals we obviously asked for coffees only to be told that the coffee machine was not working and coffee was not available.
We said that instant was not a problem, we just needed a caffine injection! Coffee was served by; half a cup of hot water put in front of us - which obviously didnt remain hot for very long, along with a sachet of Nescafe and a jug of milk.
Mmm! As a "top" restaurant Im sure thats not the best way to keep customers.

The night was still marvelous due to the fantastic company - thanks to Debs, her hubby and her gorgeous girls. Oh, and Debs said to say something to Jiggy about the great music that was playing there - but Ive forgotten what!!

Of course we will go there again, but we will be on the lookout now for another "special" restaurant. Any ideas?
Old 22-09-2007, 07:16

Hi Belladonna,

I'm sorry Ca'n Costa didn't hit the spot for you...maybe I'm blinkered when it comes to eating there, but for me, anyway, both evenings were fantastic.

My parents are great fans as well and ate there last week when they were out. Their food was great, but my mum was disappointed with her starter. She chose a tomato and goat's cheese salad and said that it didn't live up to expectations - just some thinly sliced tomatoes with a small drizzle of goat's cheese on top.

I think it just goes to show that restaurants can have "off" nights and one person's fantastic meal can be a huge disappointment to someone else.:\

Looking forward to hearing more from you...and Debs!!!

Jane
Old 24-09-2007, 01:28

We also had a fantastic night in CC with bella, her hubby and extremely handsome son!

C'an Costa has always been a favourite but after a not very good meal last year we hadn't returned for a while. We decided to give it another go and we weren't disappointed

Jane , I had the prawns with rissotto to start as well and agree it was really delicious. Bella, my girls and I then all had the ostrich which was divine..tender ,tasty and just melted in the mouth This was all washed down with... ahem a lot of bottles of wine!!!

Agree with bella that its a shame the cocktails are off the menu as they were a lovely start to the evening whilst sitting on the sofas perusing the menu! But I thought the service was as good and as attentive as ever.Thank you Tolo and Tony... Hasta luego!

We all staggered down the cobbled streets of Pollensa very happy after a wonderful evening! The 'oldies' then went home while our 'babies' went out and partied 'til 6am !

Debs
Old 24-09-2007, 06:45

Debz!!
Tell me!! put me out of my misery!!!:eek what was the great music they where playing???:b
And start posting about your hols too8) Hope ypu had a good time.
Old 24-09-2007, 16:32

Well jiggy I had completely forgotten that I had mentioned you and the music until I read bella's post! Hmm nothing to do with mucho vino I'm sure

They were playing the Newton Faulkner cd and it made me think about you saying how you thought he was boring...BUT I've just checked in the Tapas Bar and it wasn't you who said it it was Killian! Sorry :rolleyes

That's another great thing about CC ..the music is always spot on ,sometimes classical ,sometimes bang up to date, but always atmospheric

Debs
Old 12-11-2007, 20:00

Hi All.

Had a wonderfull lunch here yesterday.
They we´re doing a special menu for the "lA fira" a four day fair currently on in Pollensa town, with dozens of arts & craft stalls, horse riding displays, trick motor cyclists etc etc.

Ca´n Costa did a 3 course menu for 23:50 inc IVA.

The place was packed, we counted over 50 other diners, and before we left they´d turned away at least another dozen.

Moira had the Melon & Feta cheese salad, drizled with a lovely dressing to start which she realy enjoyed, I went for the Partridge & Quail ravioli with sage buter, lovely & light, reminded me of xmas ( could have been the sage, could have been the wine and lovely surroundings!)

For main course we both had the Herb crusted lamb fillet, with Savoy cabbage, and sauteéd potato with a redcurrant jus.
A lovely cut of meat done pink for Moira and medium for me just as we like it.
Can´t fault the quality of the products Ca´n Costa use.
We both didn´t want the meal to end.

for pudding Moira had Rice pudding with Rhubarb compot, she had this on our last visit and thoroughly enjoyed it again.
I had the Sticky ginger cake, with Rhubarb compot & vanilla ice cream.

A really lovely meal, part of a great sunny day at the "Fira" in Pollensa town.

Regards
Carl & Moira
Old 13-11-2007, 00:17

Glad you had a good time at my favourite place!

Thanks for a great review!

Jane
Old 13-11-2007, 20:24

CARL I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!

The Fira sounds fantastic..is it something that's on every year do you know? Might pop out if so next year to do some early Christmas shopping, especially if I can have lunch at Ca'n Costa afterwards!! Would certainly beat shopping in Milton Keynes :rolleyes

The menu sounds lovely... with a seasonal twist to it and great value at 23.50 euros :b MY favourite place too!

Debs
Old 07-05-2008, 19:18

Can someone please tell me exactly where this restaurant is please (Ca´n Costa)

Thanks

Nicky
Old 07-05-2008, 19:36

Nicky from the main square in Pollensa walk up the narrow road between the church and Cafe Espanol and keep going (it's fairly windy) until you come to the statue of the cockerel, then bear right and Ca'n Costa is a few metres along on the left hand side.

You're in for a treat

Debs