Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-05-2008, 21:56

Default Isn't Puerto Pollensa Expensive!!

Hi Guys,

Must say this is an excellent site adn that I run a similar Tenerife based site.

I am due in PP for a week in 3 weeks time and have now started to research where i'm going to be eating. I'm a complete foodie and ex-chef and love local local and med cuisine.

I was slightly alarmed to find out that a 3 course meal with wine for 2 people can exceed €100! Now I'm all for getting what you pay for but I find it hard to beleive the food can be that good when you can pay a similar price in the UK for a michelin starred restaurant. Whats peoples thought on the food there in comparison to the uk?

With this in mind, does anyone have any suggestions on good restaurants that wont break the bank?

I look forward to chatting with you!

Lee
Sponsored Links
Old 22-05-2008, 22:27

Hi aeropars and welcome!

I think it depends where you eat. Have you checked out the Frequently Asked Questions thread at the top of this page? There are a couple of posts about the Menu del Dia, both at lunchtime and at night. I think one restaurant was offering a MDD at 7 euros for three courses which I think is amazing! Lots of restaurants are offering the MDD at night now which offer great value for money. There are also lots of recommendations for restaurants for all budgets. Just have a good read.

Places like Stay, La Llonja and Ca'n Cuarassa in PP and Ca'n Costa and Clivia in Pollensa are going to be more expensive, but in my opinion, are worth it. I think you're also paying for a great location, ambience and service.

As for eating at a Michelin starred restaurant in the UK for the equivalent of 100 euros, about £80, I can't see that myself. Tell me where and I'll be there!

Having just come back from Bruges, I saw one top restaurant (maybe a Michelin) doing a set menu for 90 euros per person!! Now that's what I call expensive!

Anyway...welcome - it's always great to hear other people's views. I'm confident you can find somewhere in PP that serves great food and that won't break the bank!

Jane
Old 23-05-2008, 08:00

Jane is correct, the expensive restaurants are worth every euro.
A Michelin star restaurant in the UK with wine costs at LEAST £100 per person.

If you have not been to PP before, do not be put off, although it is more expensive than the bigger brasher resorts, you will find plenty of very good value for money restaurants.

PP76
Old 23-05-2008, 08:36

Personally, I've never spent that sort of money in a restaurant in PP, unless there's been a reason to celebrate. I don't think you have to look hard at all to have a super meal in PP for half that cost, including wine. There's plenty of choice.
Old 23-05-2008, 09:39

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think that an aproximation of £100 per person for a 1 starred restaurant is some way out in my opinion. I forget which restaurant but Gordon Ramsey has a 2 star restaurant with a set menu of about £100 per head. I've eaten in 1 starred restaurants at about £60 - £70 per head with wine. Anyhow, thats slightly off topic and perhaps best saved for a genral chat section.

I guess you could well be paying for location although from the pictures I've seen nearly every restaurant serves up a great location as the resort looks to be one of the best I've seen in a long time. that is of course unless the pictures i've seen are of the select good parts as it were.

I don't mind paying a bit extra to make sure the vegetarian girlfriend get a decent selection. I find it infuriating abroad that so many places offer the same old pasta dishes for vegetarians when i know for a fact that some of the tastiest dishes don't have to contain meat. I've even writeen to Gordon Ramsey's F Word challenging to create a menu that even meat eaters would love.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions that fit the bill. I'm reading as much as I can trying to take in as much as i can but it appears most restaurants are quality so i'm at a loss as to which would make the best choosing!
Old 23-05-2008, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeropars View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think that an aproximation of £100 per person for a 1 starred restaurant is some way out in my opinion. I forget which restaurant but Gordon Ramsey has a 2 star restaurant with a set menu of about £100 per head. I've eaten in 1 starred restaurants at about £60 - £70 per head with wine. Anyhow, thats slightly off topic and perhaps best saved for a genral chat section.
This topic can easily be carried over to the Tapas Bar! We'd love to see you there!

As for vegetarian meals, I know Tango always had a good choice and again, there's a FAQ on this with lots of suggestions. They have now moved to the coast road and I've heard good reports.

Jane
Old 23-05-2008, 10:33

At least three of the more expensive restaurants Stay, La Llonja and Ca'n Cuarassa all have menus of day and this can reduce costs consderably.I thnk roughly 30 euros each including wine . When we are not too keen on the wine included in the offer we have asked for a replacment and they make an adjustment to the charge.

Scotty Lady
Old 23-05-2008, 11:10

I'd agree on that amount. I think for a general meal thats what you could expect to pay. I see some restaurants charing in excess of €30 euros alone for some simple dishes such as lamb! I find that a little bit intimidating and would expect it to technically excellent in every way.
Old 23-05-2008, 12:43
Founder

I think that if you are able to stick to set menus most nights, you will find it makes an enourmous difference in price & will probably get away with an average of 25-30 euros a head (or even less). If you like the look of what's on the set menu, go for it & then save your euros for one or two a la cartes!
Old 23-05-2008, 12:55

More expensive doesn't always mean better IMO. Last year 2 of our most disappointing meals in PP were the most expensive. These were - in terms of food - Iru, and for poor service - Stay. Conversely the 2 best meals in terms of both food and service were amongst the cheapest - in O Lume and in Manduca.

As for Michelin starred restaurants - I had a very nice meal in Tom Kitchin's restaurant in Edinburgh. Wouldn't rate it as my most fabulous dining experience ever - but it was nice. For me eating out is about a relaxed, atmosphere with good food and good company and for having that second bottle of wine if you want it without thinking about how much the whole meal is going to set you back. I think lots of places in PP offer that (you have to bring the company though!)

Lala
Old 23-05-2008, 13:14

Absolutley! We dont to ponsey as Rick Stein would say.
Old 23-05-2008, 13:25

Well said Lala although I am sorry to hear that you did not like Stay .Yes it can be a bit hectic at times but since we are on holiday and in no rush to eat up and leave we are probably a bit more lenient that on other occassions bakc home.

Agree with you about O'Lume great food and prices just needs to be a bit more atmospheric on the night to make this the perfect place. Won't stop me going back and we have been going regularly for the past 3 or 4 years .

Scotty Lady
Old 29-05-2008, 20:28

Default Isn't Puerto Pollensa expensive.....

..... only if you let it be...the choice is entirely yours. Like Sandy I don't go anywhere that is too expensive unless the occasion requires you to push the boat out a bit!! Plenty of good eateries, with good service - not expensive at all. I never, as always, got to try all the places on my list. Tried one or two favs and a few new to me. Off the favs - prices had gone up but by very little. The new ones being Centric - charming place (not expensive) with a charming host. The other new one we tried was Guru - one of my best meals of the holiday - there was six of us that evening and everyone was more than happy with their choice, the service was wonderful and again not expensive. You don't have to pay the earth as I said the choice is yours!!
Old 29-05-2008, 21:15

Default Isn't Puerto Pollensa expensive

Hi favie!

You hit the nail on the head.

Fully agree with you.
Old 29-05-2008, 21:42
Super Moderator

Have to agree with favie and Porto, we have had many excellent meals in not expensive places. Just one example is El Ancla:2 people, pre dinner drinks, main course, bottle of local wine,coffees, liqueuers and post dinner drinks for under 50euros, now that's what i call good value.