Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 15:50

Unhappy Tango/Can Josep

Can anyone tell me if tangos has closed our moved and is right that Can Josep is taking the place over
Sponsored Links
Old 19-11-2014, 16:01

Tango will be running the Trio restaurant and Can Josep is moving into the Tango Ca Vostra building. See pedestrianisation of the front.
El Gordo and Sparky like this.
Old 19-11-2014, 16:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
Tango will be running the Trio restaurant and Can Josep is moving into the Tango Ca Vostra building. See pedestrianisation of the front.
Here is the link to the thread :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...line-pp-5.html.
El Gordo likes this.
Old 19-11-2014, 16:56

What fantastic news if correct, I was still trying to get over the fact Tango would be moving & we would no longer be able to sit at the window eating brilliant food, looking out at the fantastic view, but this softens the blow enormously. Couldn't think of any better people to be taking over the place than Josep & Lucy
El Gordo and Lorenzo like this.
Old 19-11-2014, 22:59

Josep has so many ideas about what he wants to do with Ca Vostra, he will be like a whirling dervish for the next few months! He has promised that the wine vats will remain though. To be honest, I don't think anyone could take them out even if they wanted to!
Old 20-11-2014, 21:22
Super Moderator

I think it is very brave of Josep to make this move but hope he doesn't live to regret it. There must be reasons why Tango have called it quits in that location and are moving back into the Port, i wonder if people found it too far out, lets be honest it is a very long walk unless you are staying in Gommar or Llenaire so there is no passing trade as such, you therefore need a car or taxi, passing traffic will be cut in half when the semi pedestrianization comes into effect, the view from the window seating is wonderful but if it is busy and you have to be seated downstairs it is quite gloomy, then add to that a shortage of outside tables.
It is a big risk and i wish Josep all the luck in the world.
debz1, animagic21, Rosie34 and 4 others like this.
Old 20-11-2014, 21:35

Completely agree with you Sparky.
I do hope this is the right move for Josep. I can't help feeling a lot of his business is passing trade in season.
The views from Tango's windows soon disappear from about 8.30 in August as darkness sets in.
I hope very much he is proved right in his move, I will definitely be visiting him but will the numbers stack up.
Good luck Josep.
Old 20-11-2014, 21:41

I agree Sparky..we often called to Can Josep for lunch ( as well as the evening) or just stopped for coffee/ cana ..unfortunately now we will be less likely to call up
debz1 and driftwood like this.

Eating Out
Old 20-11-2014, 22:21

Yes, this is a discussion going on amongst other interested groups too. Josep is aware of the risks, but hopes his ideas will give him the edge to bring people out of the port, the same way people go to Can Cuarassa and Hotel Llenaire for meals, or events. I feel that the old style Can Josep is not going to be replicated, he will aim for something totally different. A great shame for us all to be without the old haunt. He definitely had a very loyal following and is a lovely person, with a great team. We are losing some great restaurants because of the greed of landlords. The only ones who will be able to afford to take over the premises will be the chain restaurants, not individuals.
Cath, we will do a group outing!
El Gordo and eleanor like this.
Old 20-11-2014, 23:57

We wish you all the best of luck in your new location Josep, we will be there when you open up again..
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 21-11-2014, 01:44

I agree with others that it's a big gamble moving so far out of town and he will certainly lose a huge amount of passing trade in the summer. I think the average holiday maker on a fortnight break probably won't bother trekking that far out of town, that's if they even discover it on their stay. I'm sure Josep's loyal fans will go, although I'm guessing not as often as before. It's very different when you have to drive somewhere (which means one person can't drink), or go to the bother and extra expense of getting a taxi. I think to compare Ca Vostra with Can Cuarassa with its beautiful outside seating, or Hotel LLenaire, which is a completely different ball game, is naive of him.
I do wish Josep the best of luck and hope he makes a success of the new venture....can't wait to hear what his ideas for the restaurant are!
Old 21-11-2014, 09:11

I have to agree with the Its to far out brigade

We like to walk and wander have a drink before dinner then wine then a few more drinks ! My main criteria on holiday is location and we wont stay anywhere which involves taxis all the time We are so restricted most of the time with drink driving ( rightly so ) that we just enjoy this freedom

We also love places with a sea view which was one reason why we didnt visit Olume often Hope Jaime finds somewhere front line but realise the expense !

If they keep on putting the rents up they will end up with Macdonalds and Weatherspoons on the frontline !!!!!
Old 21-11-2014, 10:10

Sparky, one of the reasons Manolo is moving is that they own the Trio building and were leasing the Tango site, so with Juan retiring it makes good business sense not to pay someone else rent and leave that site empty. I also hope Josep won't regret it but I do know the amount the rent was being increased and he would have been working for the landlord.
Old 21-11-2014, 10:28
Super Moderator

It has always seemed crazy to me that landlords would rather have vacant buildings and no income rather than charge a reasonable rent and at least have some money coming in .
That said i have been told by many here in the Port that rents can only legally be increased when a contract is due for renewal and then only by no more than the rate of inflation, i am not sure if this is true but if it is are these landlords breaking the law? .
El Gordo, animagic21 and Rosie34 like this.

Last edited by Sparky; 21-11-2014 at 10:43. Reason: Typo.
Old 21-11-2014, 11:33

I can understand what most people are saying as I never understood why more people never raved on about Tango, maybe because it missed out on the passing trade it used to get when back in the square & that a lot of people maybe who don't holiday in the port regular would not know it was there. I don't really get the taxi argument as its probably at most only 10 euros return from the centre & its not like you would be doing it every night. On a selfish note I really hope Josep takes on the place & I suppose it depends on how much he will be saving on rent as to if it works. I for one & I am sure many others will follow him wherever he goes & wish him & Lucy the best of luck.
Belladonna and Bekki like this.