Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 11:57

mwc it's not the expense of a taxi that would deter me it's the hassle of getting one instead of just being able to walk, and then once you're there being stuck inside on a beautiful summer evening with nowhere else to go to for a pre or post evening drink. Just my thought as I know Tango was very popular for a lot of people.
Sparky, tangofan and Nick like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-11-2014, 12:30

Wasn't having a go Debz just don't see any hassle at all in getting a taxi as they are all over the place or just a phone call away. You could have as many pre or post evening drinks before your taxi there & after your taxi trip back, or if you like a walk just taxi one way.
debz1 likes this.
Old 21-11-2014, 12:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwc View Post
I don't really get the taxi argument as its probably at most only 10 euros return from the centre & its not like you would be doing it every night.
I understand what you are saying MWC but i feel i must point out that 10€ is a lot of money for some tourists.
This summer has been very difficult for a lot of restaurants, yes they have had plenty of people through the doors but many have been on a very tight budget, for example, in one restaurant a family of 4 came in and bought 2 soft drinks for the children then ordered 1 MDD for 10€ and shared it between them all. I have seen many people sharing 1 meal because they didn't have enough money for more, so they will not even think about paying taxi fares to go out of town.

I really hope next year is better for everyone but unless more people have more money to spend the restaurants that have survived so far will have a huge struggle on their hands.
Old 21-11-2014, 13:07

When I told the hubby about the move, and we both love Josep, he said that no way would he get a taxi as there are a lot of great restaurants within walking distance, it's a pity. He will get a taxi to Pollensa as that's completely different. As for only paying for 1MDD and drinks for 4 I really can't believe a place would let this happen,though I don't suppose they knew until the family ordered. The table could have been used by customers having a full meal. Unless going all inc,full board or self catering you know you're going to have to pay for meals and should budget accordingly, there are places for all budgets.
its cd, debz1, Belladonna and 2 others like this.
Old 21-11-2014, 13:08

I agree with debz1, generally speaking with our place in Gommar, our agenda is normally surrounding selecting in advance a restaurant somewhere in the town, walking there, eating and then then spending the rest of the evening with drinks with friends etc at one or more of the bars or cafe's, and being flexible. We often spend time at Josep's, I love Jose Lucy and the team.
I've known him since his Joker days - but when further out of the town, that limits our choices for the evening!
Maybe Jose is thinking of a total package of food, drinks and other activity, designed as a complete venue!!
Actually, thinking about it, that would be good, that would remove the retail therapy temptations of the girls when in the town
debz1 likes this.
Old 21-11-2014, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evetsthompson View Post

Actually, thinking about it, that would be good, that would remove the retail therapy temptations of the girls when in the town
Think my husband would be with you on that one!!!
evetsthompson likes this.
Old 21-11-2014, 13:26

I can only agree with all the comments made about Josep's re-location. We haven't had a chance to chat with him about it yet. We will always support his new venture, but probably won't be popping in for lunch, or breakfast as much as we regularly did. Whilst we enjoy walking, the distance to Tango would take up too much time. I do however wish him, Lucie & the Team the very best of luck.
debz1, Belladonna, Sparky and 2 others like this.

Last edited by animagic21; 21-11-2014 at 13:32.
Old 21-11-2014, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I understand what you are saying MWC but i feel i must point out that 10€ is a lot of money for some tourists.
This summer has been very difficult for a lot of restaurants, yes they have had plenty of people through the doors but many have been on a very tight budget, for example, in one restaurant a family of 4 came in and bought 2 soft drinks for the children then ordered 1 MDD for 10€ and shared it between them all. I have seen many people sharing 1 meal because they didn't have enough money for more, so they will not even think about paying taxi fares to go out of town.

I really hope next year is better for everyone but unless more people have more money to spend the restaurants that have survived so far will have a huge struggle on their hands.
That's fair comment & I understand everybody's different, but personally if I was worrying about spending 10 euros on holiday or had to share a MDD & 2 soft drinks between 4 of us, I would be asking myself if I should & could really afford to be on holiday in the first place.
ragdollabbi likes this.
Old 21-11-2014, 14:22
Banned

Ouch, I really don't think that's a nice or even fair comment. From your posts you may be able to afford and indulge in the finer restaurants but not everyone can in these hard economic times.
Anyway, kids often only eat a small portion of their meals and I know from experience.

Give people a break.

Last edited by Nick; 21-11-2014 at 14:25.
Old 21-11-2014, 14:28

I wouldn't deny anyone a holiday in beautiful PP. Have had 'stretched' times in our lives, as many other people I'm sure. Whilst the shared meal wasn't ideal for the restaurant, who are we to judge? The fact is Josep's restaurant was a handy location for those of us who stay around the Port area. It will no longer be handy for us. However, it will be a huge bonus for the many people who live or stay on the sandy beach side. Maybe (hopefully) Josep will gain more clients from them.
Belladonna, Rosie34, Nick and 2 others like this.
Old 21-11-2014, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Ouch, I really don't think that's a nice or even fair comment. From your posts you may be able to afford and indulge in the finer restaurants but not everyone can in these hard economic times.
Anyway, kids often only eat a small portion of their meals and I know from experience.

Give people a break.
Don't think its not nice or unfair just basic common sense. If I was going on holiday & only had enough money to share one meal between 4, I would not be going as its pretty obvious I could not afford to be there in the first place. As for eating in the finer restaurants, this is nothing to do with being able to afford it. When home we rarely eat out or go out if at all, choosing to save up for our holiday so we are able to do so when we are there, though this is our choice & we still don't eat out every night when we are there, we also have two boys so are quite accustomed to children's eating habits
Rosie34 likes this.

Last edited by mwc; 21-11-2014 at 15:00.
Old 21-11-2014, 15:04
Super Moderator

I think we need to get back on topic now and at the end of the day we all wish Josep and Manolo the very best in their new venues .
pollensa, PP76, El Gordo and 6 others like this.
Old 21-11-2014, 21:26

Quote:
It has always seemed crazy to me that landlords would rather have vacant buildings and no income rather than charge a reasonable rent and at least have some money coming in .
That said i have been told by many here in the Port that rents can only legally be increased when a contract is due for renewal and then only by no more than the rate of inflation, i am not sure if this is true but if it is are these landlords breaking the law? .
The landlords I know don't appear to be very short of money. Possibly its a cultural thing ,there's so many big town houses in pollenca falling into disrepair because the owners won't part with them!
Old 21-11-2014, 21:28

Quote:
I think it is very brave of Josep to make this move but hope he doesn't live to regret it. There must be reasons why Tango have called it quits in that location and are moving back into the Port, i wonder if people found it too far out, lets be honest it is a very long walk unless you are staying in Gommar or Llenaire so there is no passing trade as such, you therefore need a car or taxi, passing traffic will be cut in half when the semi pedestrianization comes into effect, the view from the window seating is wonderful but if it is busy and you have to be seated downstairs it is quite gloomy, then add to that a shortage of outside tables.
It is a big risk and i wish Josep all the luck in the world.
Tango used to get a load of coach tours ( as they did in PP at their old place) so maybe that helped
Old 22-11-2014, 12:00

We were in Tango a couple of weeks ago for lunch when Joseph & Lucy came in for lunch also, Joseph told me some of his plans and he is hoping to have an outside dining garden, as in his words the land at the back of Ca Vostra is the size of a football pitch. He also said that Manolo helped him when he set up Can Josef so I think he understands what he is taking on. All the very best Josef, see you next year.
PP76, debz1, Sparky and 2 others like this.