Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Alcudia

Alcudia Any recommendations on places to go, where to eat in the old town, port or Bay of Alcudia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-06-2006, 06:07
bee66

Default bellvue complex alcudia

We spent half term at this complex with our grandchildren and would recommend it to families. There is a lot to do with clubs for the little ones , swimming pools, very good mini golf, tennis courts, play area etc.The supermarkets are reasonable and generally friendly. We used the Don Pedro bar, the owner Paco is very friendly and he has excellent staff.
I think alcudia is a family oriented place with plenty to do.
Another recommendation is the "drunken Duck" bar. turn right out of bellvue straight down the road over the bridge and it in a turning on the left.
Good food(very british!) but reasonable prices and generous portions..
Sponsored Links
Old 25-06-2006, 02:52
KILLIAN MCCORMACK

Hi Bee
Glad to hear that you and your family enjoy the bellvue so much.
Myself Claire and our 2 young girls went there in 2003 and I would NOT go back again. I felt the place was bland with no character, AND we were on the 9TH floor with terrible neighbours! The pool was basically in the middle of a car park.
Claire's parents were staying in the Siesta 1 which were far far better.
Wasnt very impressed with the Port itself either. The old Town is lovely however and we had many an enjoyabale evening there.
We spend all our time in PP.:lol
Cheers
Killian
Old 25-06-2006, 03:56
bonez1977

hey killian !!!
When we stayed at the bellevue we were in the siesta apts. which i must say were nice, they had just re-furbished them too, so they looked sparkly clean.
we had every facility provided for self caterers apart from the pool bar which was only allowed to serve all inc. customers... so we had to walk to the nearest bar for a drink !!!
overall it was a pleasent stay.. always prefer PP but when you have kids with you you have to do it for them eh !!
Bonez
Old 25-06-2006, 16:18
bonez1977

and by the way... the drunken duck bar is at thp port of alcudia,,,,the owners brother (ernie) owns the 'stagger inn' which i believe are the directions bee gave for the drunken duck !!!
sorry bee !!!
They are both great (but v.v. english places to go)
Bonez x
Old 26-06-2006, 05:21

We stayed in appartments in Siesta II for many years when the children were young, as the pool was perfect and the facilities around the complex - the shows etc, were just great. We then bought a couple of appartments there as for teenagers they loved the bars and nightclubs on "the strip" and we always went to Lunas for the traditional kebab the night we arrived. in fact, even now we have moved on to PP the "kids" (20 plus) still go to Lunas on the first night! Banana Republic is a great lunch snack bar and does wicked sangria - infact i lost a whole afternoon in bed afterwards whilst hubby painted the appartment one year! I dont think you can beat the facilities around Bellvue - whether you stay in the hotels or the Siestas - for younger / teenage kids, but after a few years of the same, its been good to have the choice of a quieter resort - for how long, who knows, but thats another topic! The restaurants in Alcudia are different from those in PP, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest. The marina at night is a world on its own and its lovely to walk up amongst the boats that are there and dream. You get bigger boats mooring there than at Pp marina, as the depth is greater.
Old 27-06-2006, 00:34
bonez1977

hi,
I agree about Luna's... it's the best place to eat for me and the other half in alcudia!! He loves his meat and i'm a veggie so we both have an excellent choice of meals there, it's warm and friendly and the entertainment holds something for everyone!!
We did stay as a couple (as apposed(sp) to going with the whole family) at the Bellevue for 2 weeks a couple of septembers ago... (we were unable to book our usual haunt in pp) and we stayed in a studio appt. there, which was nice and had everything we needed, however the 'neighbours' left a lot to be desired, but luckily they left within a few days of our arrival (phew)...and the rest of the holiday was just grand (ate a lot at luna's) but also at 'tot tapas' where our fave waitress Gisella worked... was sad day in may this year when we went back to find it is now a (loosely based) irish bar and to our comparison has no atmos. whatsoever any more !!!
Anyway, i will stop waffling on.
Bonez:rollin
Old 27-06-2006, 01:52
KILLIAN MCCORMACK

I seem to be own mine with my opinion on this thread (nothing new there then!).
This thread is called "bellvue complex alcudia", and when I stayed there IMO it was horrible. We were unluncky to be on the 9th floor in a block at the very back of the complex. The swimming pool was terrible with no shelter whatsoever and as I said, it was vitually in a car park. The whole thing wasnt helped by the neighbours. At night our block was littered with drunk kids, 12 to 16 year olds, falling around the place drinking in the corridors and lifts (which regularly didnt work). This didnt really bother me too much, as I was young once too, but you could have done without it all the same. On the plus side we were regularly entertained at night whilst sitting on the balcony listening to the rows and screaming matches going on in apts above and below us. Better than any reality, BB or "neighbours from hell" tv show. I suppose you could put some of this down to back luck and to be fair the apartment itself was fine and wasnt expensive.
Yes the complex does have play grounds and crazy golf etc but for our kids a decent pool and to be able to make a few friends would of gone down much better. Meg was 6 and I'd like to keep her off the alcohol for a few years yet
I cannot say that I had 1 memorable meal in Alcudia however . In hindsight reading the posts maybe I didnt give it enough of a chance. I just didnt like the look of the place and every day drove to PP or somewhere (anywhere) else.
We did pay a visit in May (while staying in PP) of this year and we found it to be better than we remembered. We went pony riding near the Bellvue and had a nice lunch at the port.
IMO when you step back from the marina which has some nice shops (Claire tells me), the place has little individuality...grand if you want wall to wall slot machines by day and karoke by night (not that I dont like a bit of that:b ) but not everywhere you look.
The town as I've said is great, and well worth several visits.
I would be reluctant to recommend the Bellvue to family or friends (unless I didnt like them) as I feel that they too could end up in a part of the complex that just isnt nice.
Siesta 2 yes....Bellvue no
Rant over!
Killian
Old 27-06-2006, 05:54

We have never stayed in Alcudia and would not want to as we have never felt the need for organised kids entertainment. Playing in the pool and on the beach by day and spending the evening playing with other children in the square, joining one of the many football games on the beach in PP in the evening, and the occasional evening nip into the Ora Playa to join in the kiddie Disco has always been fine. ( that said not yet had to deal with teenagers, so I may be in for a shock )

However, I must say that even when in PP we usually have a day on the beach in Alcudia, don't know what the area is called, it is well past the Burger King, once the shops and bars start to thin out and there are some villa's. The Beach is really lovelly, the sea is so shallow and clear and full of fish, the beach is pure white and so big there is loads of space and if you walk back towards Alcudia Centre for about 10 or 15 mins along the beach you come to a wooden bridge across an inlet and a place where you can book to go out on the Bananna boat and some rubber rings , the kids ( not quite teens ) love them.

So I guess there are good and bad points to all resorts ....... and Alcudia may be brash and nowhere near as nice as PP, but I think it is still basically a family resort , it just caters for people who want different things from their holiday .......... Believe it or not, not everyone shares our viewsre PP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read a review on a holidays site where someone was berating PP because they'd arrived at just past midnight and they thought it looked like a ghost town, they said they would never go again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 65 ....... now most of us would read that and think WWWHHHAAATTTT ???????????? but it's their opinion and they are entitled to it.
Old 27-06-2006, 20:29

Totally agree - how awful if everyone liked exactly the same place! We all have different needs at different times of our and our families lives, and Im really sorry that Alcudia bellvue put Killian off of Acludia totally, but I would probably have had the same attitude if that had been my first experience of it too!
It can be a little (very) brash nowadays, and perhaps can be enjoyed in small doses if its not to your taste, but it does have something different to offer. Alcudia beach is one of the most famous on the island. Perhaps day visits are better than actually staying there!!
If you want to see a ghost town though, Drive through Alcudia in February - even the hotels are wrapped up - it looks just like a film set waiting to happen!:lol
Old 10-07-2006, 18:13
smiddy

Default Bellvue

Got to agree with Killian, although i only spent 1 full day there my impression was i would not go back even if you offered me a free holiday. Maybe i'm not so tolerant these days but the impression i got was it was a open- air mad- house. Killian, my sympathies, after one night like that i would have been on the first plane home.

It's not all bad, i was over at the port end last Weds and it was very impressive.

Sorry if i offend anyone, but, do yourself a favour, i'm sure you will find far better accomodation in Alcudia.

Mass tourism at is worst.
Old 10-07-2006, 18:49
jonnybob

Default Bellvue

Got to agree with Killian and Smiddy.I was staying at the other end of Alcudia,a few years ago when our coach pulled up to deposit some guests at the Bellvue.The Police were chasing two naked guys through the Bellvue grounds,while drunk Brits were throwing bottles at the Police car.Mad house seems to be a perfect description
Old 10-07-2006, 22:57

Default Re: Bellvue

Looks like the South is invading the North! I feel very sad when I read reports like this, as Alcudia was our first introduction to Mallorca 18years ago, my husband put a/c in one of the restaurants along the PP coast. It was very much like Pp is now, which worries me enormously as PP is developing much quicker than Alcudia did. Im hoping against hope that regulations will hold back the tide of "progress"!

I still cant write Alcudia off, as there are still good points to it, we just seem to have to struggle a little harder - and usually a little more out of season - to find them!